Gransnet forums

Health

Urgent trip to hospital

(11 Posts)
NainFron Mon 12-Aug-19 18:40:26

Thank you all so much for your support. It really does help. Feeling much better this evening and will soon be over it all .

M0nica Mon 12-Aug-19 14:45:27

It is surprising how these things can get you. Ending up in hospital and in pain and not knowing the cause, is a real shock. I am not surprised you are all at sixes and sevens and weepy, especially as you now know that it was not something serious.

Just relax and let it run through you, and I hope you are well and back to normal soon.

Luckygirl Mon 12-Aug-19 14:32:53

Biliary colic hurts like hell and is a real shock to the system. I am not surprised you are feeling a bit shaken up - be kind to yourself and allow time to get back on an even keel.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 12-Aug-19 14:09:44

NainFron.

Pleased to hear you have plenty around you. My husband and my daughter are my rocks.

I have my first appointment with a counsellor this Friday. The hand therapist referred me.

NainFron Mon 12-Aug-19 13:14:35

Woodmouse49, it sounds really traumatic, hurting your hand to that extent. I'm very lucky. My DH is very supportive, as are the rest of my family. I phoned a counsellor at lunchtime, just to get another perspective and she suggested that the "little girl" that I used to be, was frightened and she needs reassurance. That seens reasonable. Our subconscious minds have such a strong impact on our emotions.

NainFron Mon 12-Aug-19 13:09:41

Interesting, isn't it EllanVannin, how we all react differently?

EllanVannin Mon 12-Aug-19 12:51:17

I'm the opposite-----how dare my body let me down ! It gives me more determination to steer clear of such eventualities.

wildswan16 Mon 12-Aug-19 12:46:31

An emergency visit to hospital is always quite a scary experience. We tend to hold ourselves together whilst "in company", but getting back home you've been able to let your emotions out. Perfectly natural. Be especially nice to yourself for a few days and if possible give yourself a few treats. flowers

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 12-Aug-19 12:44:49

Me too and I'm still not coping 100% with the happening.

April - An accident with a saw, saw me in the trauma bay and two and a half hours of surgery to repair the damage. My hand will never be 100% but I'm getting there. I didn't get through the day for well over week without bursting into tears several times. DH was/is brilliant.

You need to talk about it or write down how you feel. I do both. Because of the severity of the damage, I talk to the hand therapist about how I feel too. It is the suddenness of how it all happened that has an impact.

I'm much better emotional now but get stressed very easily. Again DH is brilliant with his hugs when he sees me "being quiet" because that's not me.

I do hope you have someone at home or at the end of the phone to talk to.

It will get better. Let us know.

Willow500 Mon 12-Aug-19 12:33:23

It's quite a shock when we realize our bodies can let us down - this will be a reaction to the shock. I hope you feel better soon and that you were given good advice what to do in case it happens again.

NainFron Mon 12-Aug-19 12:27:08

I returned from a short stay in hospital due to biliary colic last night and now that I'm home I can't stop crying. I'm finding it difficult to process why, though, as apart from the severe pain that took me there, nothing traumatic happened.
Has anyone else had a similar reaction?