Gransnet forums

Health

Hysterectomy and abnormal cells

(6 Posts)
Viviness Tue 13-Aug-19 17:40:02

Can I pick your brains. Ive had a hysterectomy and am now back to work and recovering well, or so I thought, Ive had a letter today from my Consultant that the lab have looked at my womb under the microscope and have discovered mildly abnormal cells on the cervix. As a precaution I have to have a smear in 6 months time with a follow up in a year. Has anyone else had this, is it common place and what can I expect. My last smear was fine and I was told I wouldnt get asked to have any more. It just goes to show that abnormal cells can appear at any time even over 60. Now Im in a panic, I would appreciate any comments. Thank you

SisterAct Tue 13-Aug-19 17:46:01

I had a hysterectomy at 28 (27 yrs ago) and had suspect cells which were monitored for 5 years and then they decided all was well but if I had any problems to go back.

stella1949 Tue 13-Aug-19 17:51:24

If you've had a hysterectomy, the uterus and cervix have all been removed. So any "mildly abnormal cells" on the cervix are nothing to panic about. When they say cells are mildly abnormal it doesn't mean they are cancerous, it just means that they should be watched . In your case they have been removed when the hysterectomy was done , so the only concern is that you may have a few of the abnormal cells in the top of your vagina where the cervix was joined on .

After I had a hysterectomy I had six-monthly smears of the top of the vagina for a few years just to make sure everything was OK. You may have something like this as a precaution.

Viviness Wed 14-Aug-19 19:56:10

Thank you both for replying. You have put my mind to rest a little

suziewoozie Wed 14-Aug-19 20:17:20

I’ve no direct experience but I think it’s a pity that this was communicated to you in a letter and not in a face to face appointment. ‘Mildly abnormal’ means what exactly? If you are still worried ( and you seem to hint you are) I’d at least go back to my GP but if you can afford it, go back and see the consultant privately for an in depth follow up consultation.

Tangerine Wed 14-Aug-19 20:28:43

Stella1949 - I don't think they always remove the cervix. Mine was removed, I admit. If I have made a mistake, I am happy to be put right.

In OP's position, I think I'd ask my GP.