Gransnet forums

Health

Advice on Heart medication

(15 Posts)
Anne107 Mon 19-Aug-19 10:49:34

May of this year I had to have a stent placed as had 3 blocked arteries 2 of which can be managed with medication in May this year and then immediately started taking atorvastatin, aspirin and clopidogrel - yes first week feeling tired and somewhat nervous- but then attended heart rehab for six weeks and was feeling quite good and positive- walking more & now losing weight. My cholesterol has gone right down & and my my borderline diabetes has greatly improved. However received call from doc ( my GP) who last week Thursday informed me I should also be on beta blockers - & now prescribed bisoprolol fumarate 1.25mg and ramipril 1.25mg. Since adding these 2 extra - yes i know low dosage-I feel awful - very tired, very weak & even had to take today off work today as really bad pain in neck! Like muscle aches! I will be seeing GP again this week to ask whether I can come off these 2 extra medications as I really felt so much better before taking them. Has anyone here experienced anything similar?

Greenfinch Mon 19-Aug-19 11:09:32

Some people will say that they have a good experience with bisoprolol but mine echoes yours.I started on a high dosage but even when it was reduced to 1.5 I still experienced light headedness and dizziness.My pulse was constantly below 60 and a pacemaker was suggested.I asked to be taken off it and my problems disappeared. My heart rate is now always between 60 and 80.I should certainly ask to come off it .I have no experience with rampril though DH takes it with no ill effects.

Septimia Mon 19-Aug-19 11:25:16

DH is on atorvastatin, aspirin, bisoprolol and ramipril. He says he occasionally feels tired but no real aches and pains. His GP did notice that he was on 80mg of atorvastatin which he said was a hospital dose and promptly halved it to 40mg.

The only thing he really struggled with was the clopidogrel. The side effects include constipation and diarrhoea - what a choice!!

Everyone is different and you know your body better than the GP. You might need a bit longer to get used to the medication or he might be able to prescribe an alternative. But you probably should be on beta-blockers. No harm in questioning it though!

Luckygirl Mon 19-Aug-19 11:38:00

Bisoprolol, even at a low dose, completely flattened me! I was barely functional and quite depressed.

Maybe ask whether they can change you to another - worth a try.

EllanVannin Mon 19-Aug-19 12:40:59

I too take bisoprolol for A/Fib and at first was given the highest strength of 7mg. I couldn't cope with that so it was reduced to 3.75mg. Also atorvastatin and spironolactone ( prevents too much salt being absorbed )

Warfarin too--19mgs a week.

I've been taking all the above for 13 years, so it looks as though they're keeping me going. Diagnosed in 2006 with heart failure and 3rd stage kidney failure. The condition hasn't got any worse over the 13 years thanks to the above treatment.

Sleepygran Tue 20-Aug-19 15:55:36

I take bisopropranol,a very low dose like you and it's floored me,feel constantly tired but if I don't take it by the evening my heart rate is over 100 just resting, going up the stairs takes it to 140! So I dare not stop it.
I've seen the doc so many times saying I'm tired out I. Sure they think it's I my mind!

Fennel Tue 20-Aug-19 18:29:42

I have a similar history to you, Anne. And have taken a similar cocktail of drugs since 2006. apart from the clop.... one. Except for Atenolol for betabocker, and only aspirin for blood thinners.
TG never had any bad reactions. Except tiredness - I'm 83 now.
I think you need to discuss this with your GP - everyone is different, and we react differently to the drugs.

Doodle Tue 20-Aug-19 20:54:33

Certainly talk to GP. Also British Heart Foundation have info on drugs.

Iam64 Tue 20-Aug-19 21:36:09

I was on bisoporol for AF but i fou dinclines even harder and felt very tired. The cardiologist took me off it and the tiredness lessened (slightly)

growstuff Tue 27-Aug-19 08:54:13

Have you had an echocardiogram? I was prescribed bisoprolol after I had a stent fitted. The echocardiogram showed that I had no left ventricle damage after a heart attack and I only had to take it for a year. You could ask for an alternative to Ramipril, such as Candesartan. Clopidogrel can cause problems with Vitamin B12 absorption, so ask for a blood count to rule out anaemia.

Teetime Tue 27-Aug-19 08:59:04

I have been on Bisoprolol for over 20 years and it never occurred to me that my chronic tiredness is associated with it I think its more about getting older and sleep deprivation. It controls my very high blood pressure so I am reluctant to change it.

Luckygirl Tue 27-Aug-19 09:56:36

I spent Sunday in A&E in fast AF. They just monitored it till it slowed down, and then sent me off home - thank goodness! A&E doc seemed to think it was OK to wander about in AF as long as I had taken the anti-clog meds and it was not too fast - other docs have told me different, so I do not know what is best to do. GP ringing later to give me advice.

My OH, who has the same, takes flecainide which stops it happening completely.

EllanVannin Tue 27-Aug-19 10:49:09

Thankfully I've only attended A&E 3 times over 13 years while in AF. First time, it took from 10pm until 4am before it was stabilised with a blood-pressure of 240/180---off the scale. That time I had to take 10 tablets all at once besides having a heparin injection. It was pretty scary and I remember feeling thoroughly worn out, and kept in for 2 and a bit days but soon recovered, no heart attack or stroke and was told to take it easy------which I have done ever since !

2nd and 3rd times were nowhere near as bad as the first but showed no sign of calming down so 5/6 years ago was the last time and now have very few rapid heartbeats as time has gone on, thank goodness as BP is near normal to low now.

I know that I've had A/F for 29 years, I did tell the doctor that I'd had it since the menopause at 50 which was 16 years when first admitted bringing it to date at 29 years. It's gradually got less and less thankfully.

INR for warfarin testing has been steady so that'll do me.

Greenfinch Tue 27-Aug-19 17:37:45

Luckygirl. I also take flecainide and have found it has stopped AF completely,so far at any rate.

Luckygirl Tue 27-Aug-19 18:26:52

I asked doc about flecainide and she said to take small dose of bisoprolol to start with and see how it goes. The episodes are few and far between thankfully.