Gransnet forums

Health

Private Health Screening

(12 Posts)
TiggyW Mon 19-Aug-19 13:21:31

I’m debating whether to attend an appointment for private health screening for the over 50s. The package costs £129 at a local hotel.
I’d love to hear from anyone who has had a screening. Was it worth the money?

GabriellaG54 Mon 19-Aug-19 13:31:19

No.
I have reverted to having a yearly health check at my local surgery who are very thorough and bloods/extras are done at the hospital next door.
You can be sure that 2/3rds of that £125 is profit.

GabriellaG54 Mon 19-Aug-19 13:32:09

£125 £129

HildaW Mon 19-Aug-19 13:33:40

What do you actually get for your £129? If its just bloods and questions asked then your GP can do that.

EllanVannin Mon 19-Aug-19 13:43:06

My goodness me. The NHS can offer the same for free and more if you need any further investigations.

HildaW Mon 19-Aug-19 14:39:29

I was also told by a friend (a GP) that these over the counter MRI type screenings are worse than useless. They are not targeted and are very easily misread. The usual procedure is to have a symptom, report it, have it specifically investigated with your full medical background and hopefully a more informed conclusion can be reached.

M0nica Mon 19-Aug-19 14:54:23

Googling these private screenings, they get very poor press from GPs. Almost everything they do is available from your GP's surgery.

The NHS over 40s test comes with a life style questionnaire and standard tests. Now I am over 70 I go to my surgery once a year for a quick check over of blood pressure, blood and urine. Llots of these tests produce results that can frighten people when seen out of context.

GabriellaG54 Mon 19-Aug-19 15:59:24

I went with bluecresthealth.com and the bloods they do are nowhere near the level of those sanctioned by your GP.
They do ECG BP height weight several questions re your meds (if any) and routine stuff. Bloods show cholesterol levels and kidney function but nothing deeper.

You can have a more expensive core screening including bloods which again, don't give the breadth or depth of results that your GP referral can offer.

A doctor talks you through the screening results but can't liase with your local hospital for further tests/scans should they be necessary, unlike your GP who can get things done urgently if needed.
The whole package with Blue Crest Health is £198 which is the core screening plus COPD testing and another for antigens.

The wording for non-medics seems as if you're getting the whole 9 yards but in truth, it's pretty basic.

I had mine done in an hotel room which they had hired for the occasion. hmm

GabriellaG54 Mon 19-Aug-19 16:01:55

Read this...

EllanVannin Mon 19-Aug-19 16:07:27

I've never had the heart to tot up how much I paid into Bupa for the majority of my working life, but fortunately never experienced its benefits. Only after I'd retired did I then cancel it and blow me it wasn't long before an ailment took hold. Sod's Law !

M0nica Mon 19-Aug-19 20:29:34

Fortunately when DH was working we got free private health insurance. We kept up a low cost (large excess) policy going for 10 years after he retired but then hit 70 and the premiums doubled.

We did the sums, calculated that over the 10 years we had had the policy we had paid £28,000 to the company and had £6,000 of benefits, so we cancelled the policy, opened a savings account that we call 'The Health Account' and each month we pay in to it the monthly amount we were paying to a private provider 6 years ago, we have felt no need to increase the amount.

Six years on, we have drawn small sums out to pay for cconsultations with a private doctor and a cataract operation, but the amount is accumulating and there is now enough to cover any need including hip replacement, but the money remains ours and if needed could be directed to other uses.

TiggyW Mon 19-Aug-19 22:39:15

Thanks everyone for your replies! smile I think I’ll just open a health savings account, as suggested by M0nica.?