Gransnet forums

Health

Measles- a giant step backwards ?

(19 Posts)
MawB Mon 19-Aug-19 22:24:16

Three years after the measles virus was eliminated from the UK, the country has lost its “measles-free” status with the World Health Organization, following 231 confirmed cases of the infection in the first quarter of 2019.11 hours ago
www.newscientist.com

Luckygirl Mon 19-Aug-19 22:26:50

It is so exasperating and so sad.

Give Boris his due, he told it like it is. Never thought I would hear myself say that.

EllanVannin Mon 19-Aug-19 22:45:22

All my GGC have been vaccinated. I made a point of stressing to my GD how important it was because it's a killer as various childhood diseases have mutated as the population has increased.

Tangerine Mon 19-Aug-19 22:48:30

I also believe in vaccination and wonder if it ought to be enforced. Yes, there are people who cannot be vaccinated for specific medical reasons and I understand that they would be exempt.

The trouble is I also believe in freedom of choice.

grannyqueenie Tue 20-Aug-19 00:37:09

So many people seem unable to understand just how serious measles can be. One of my girls had measles at 11, despite having been immunised when she was a year old. I was shocked at how ill an otherwise healthy child very quickly became, it was also the trigger for the onset of asthma and other allergies which plagued her through her teenage years and into young adulthood. I really cannot understand parents not having children vaccinated.

Teacheranne Tue 20-Aug-19 00:42:29

My youngest son was not able to have the final part of his MMR vaccination as he was very poorly with meningitis at six months old and I have worried ever since about his lack of full protection. He is now 32 so I really should stop fretting!

kittylester Tue 20-Aug-19 06:58:37

I can remember how dreadful I felt when I had measles and I didn't have it badly!

I agree with tangerine. Its a dilemma. Andrew Wakefield - there are no words!

wildswan16 Tue 20-Aug-19 08:10:43

How those parents who have not vaccinated their children will feel when their little one is left fighting for his/her life, or perhaps permanently disabled - I can't imagine.

It is not only their own child they put at risk - but all our children.

LullyDully Tue 20-Aug-19 08:12:10

It is vital for the whole country grandchildren are vaccinated against measles. My husband lost sight in one eye and hearing in an ear as a young child.

gillybob Tue 20-Aug-19 08:20:00

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7371095/Social-media-platforms-urged-tackle-misinformation-vaccines.html

This link shows a map of percentages where the measles jab has not been given (refused for whatever reason?) I can’t understand why London is almost double compared with every other region in the country? Is that because of the yummy mummy culture (I didn’t let my little Tristan have the evil jab so you shouldn’t either) whereas most other parents take the advice of their health care providers .

I’m not sure but it’s a very significant jump.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Aug-19 08:20:59

The government has taken its eye off the ball. Like so much over the past 3 years this was a clear problem and in normal times would have been sorted through education etc.

Urmstongran Tue 20-Aug-19 08:47:03

Apparently one in every seven children isn’t vaccinated against measles.

Could London be less vaccinated because it has the largest immigrant population? I’m really not being racist. It’s just that some must be arriving from countries/cultures where measles vaccination isn’t as promoted as it is here so to them it’s not as much on their radar.

Similar with rickets in this country. Almost unheard of in the 60’s but no a resurgence due to burkas being worn and covered up, not getting enough vitamin D in our temperate climate. Another story altogether wearing such clothing in the Middle East where the sun is fierce enough to deliver said vitamin to protect the bones.

Same too for diabetes type 2. A doctor where I worked at the hospital said the explosion in this condition in the U.K. was directly linked to the Asian community as they have a pre disposition to it.

gillybob Tue 20-Aug-19 08:52:57

One of our local pharmacies ran a “rickets awareness day” last year . I happened to call in to pick up my dads prescriptions and chatted to the pharmacist who asked me if I wanted to take some information and free vitamins for my grandchildren. I declined as they spend most of their lives outdoors and eat a very good and varied diet. We do have an increasing Pakistani population in our town and it is absolutely not racist to say that the pharmacist (of Pakistani heritage herself) said that they were very high risk and were mainly who they were aiming the information towards.

I’m not sure about the measles vaccinations though ? The graph does see a huge difference between London and the rest of the country .

MawB Tue 20-Aug-19 08:55:56

I think Gillybob’s interpretation (yummy mummies) is closer Urmstongran - the pernicious influence of ill- informed Dr Googling!
Either way, this is a time when people really do need to heed the experts.

GrannySomerset Tue 20-Aug-19 08:56:28

When my GC started nursery in the Netherlands proof of immunisation (and not only against measles) had to be produced.

In order to protect those who cannot be immunised, maybe it’s time to go down this route.

Urmstongran Tue 20-Aug-19 08:58:54

Thank you gillybob for your early validation of my point. So many posters (on certain threads) are super quick to cry ‘racist’ when a viewpoint really is not. It’s too easy to tar and feather these days, especially by the liberal left.

Of course it doesn’t help that I voted Leave which of course presents an open goal!
?

Sorry Maw back to the topic in hand.

My opinion might have ruffled a few feathers when I posted it so I’m just glad the message was taken on merit.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Aug-19 09:07:57

I am happy to be corrected but I think the measles vaccine uses "pork based gelatine" as a stabiliser.

This is ok with the Jewish community as it is not "ingested", but may cause a problem for vegans, vegetarians and Muslims.

Like previous posters I feel that vaccinations should be compulsory when there are no medical indications not to do so.

Unfortunately I also believe in individual freedoms, not sure what the answer is?

Iam64 Tue 20-Aug-19 09:09:17

I suspect it is more the home grown mummies who believe they know better than the medical profession, in deciding not to have their children inoculated. Asylum seekers or those immigrating from countries where Measles remains prevalent would I'm sure grasp the opportunity to protect their children.

An aside (sorry Maw) - I wonder if the same people who refuse to immunise their children, are the ones who refuse to have their dogs immunised or treated "with awful chemicals" to prevent fleas and ticks? The facebook dog forums are full of these people, who all know more than the vets, all believe the vets only recommend treatments so they can cheat us out of our cash etc.
I have a simple view, for children (and for dogs) its a social responsibility to the heard. Not all children can have the Measles inoculation, little one's with leukaemia or challenged immune systems for example. If they get Measles they will suffer even more than previously healthy children.
I struggle with the idea that children who are immunised should be excluded from schools or other public places but we do need a public information drive.
Luckygirl - yes, imagine us thinking Boris Johnson got something right!

mosaicwarts Tue 20-Aug-19 09:17:10

Last night's item about measles was so worrying. I had measles and then mumps as a child in the 60's, wouldn't wish it on anyone. I still remember the terrible, terrible headache I had with it. I don't have grandchildren yet, but would encourage my children to have their babies vaccinated.