Gransnet forums

Health

Croup

(7 Posts)
Auntieflo Wed 21-Aug-19 16:06:30

We used to have to sit in the bathroom with DD, running a hot and steamy bath, and read to her until she felt better.
We also had a Vicks Vaporiser, that was a metal container, some liquid that was dripped into a shallow vessel, and warmed by a night light. Anyone else remember those?
Probably not sold anymore due to Health and Safety, but I loved the smell.

M0nica Wed 21-Aug-19 14:02:11

When DS had it, we put a pan of water on the gas, kept it boiling so that the kitchen became steamy and sat in there with him until it stopped.

Thingmajig Wed 21-Aug-19 12:57:50

Our grandson has had croup a few times. Quite often ends at A&E as it comes on at night. Treatment is steroids and works very well ... usually a single dose is enough.
It's frightening to hear the stridor ... we thought he was starting again a while ago while we had him but turned out he was just doing pig snorts!!! grin

EllanVannin Wed 21-Aug-19 12:57:23

In the 60's I put a small hand towel in a bowl of hot water then wrung it out, wrapping it around D's neck to help her breathe when she was coughing. Other than that I also used an old bowl with boiling water and friars balsam, a towel over her head to breathe in the balsam. Hospitals used steam kettles at the time.

HildaW Wed 21-Aug-19 11:39:46

DD had this and I was not used to it......its all to do with their throat being a bit tight and small and they cannot breathe well if they have a cold etc. We had to do the whole running a steamy bath in the middle of the night - think the old cure was a steaming kettle in the bedroom.....a H&S nightmare!
Perhaps nowadays a nebuliser type cure is offered - but whatever it is we were told its a problem that they will grow out of as they develop.

Septimia Wed 21-Aug-19 11:17:42

The traditional method was steam - sit him in a steamy bathroom! I'm sure modern medecine will have something better.

GagaJo Wed 21-Aug-19 11:14:47

Pretty sure my grandson has croup. He's going to the docs, but is there anything else we can do to help him?