Gransnet forums

Health

Torn Tendon in Shoulder (Bursitis)

(28 Posts)
wiggys52 Tue 27-Aug-19 06:57:43

Hi, just wondering if anyone on here has had a torn tendon and how long it took to recover. Also what they found worked best. Mine started about 12 weeks ago. Had ultrasound and x-ray. Have physio once a week and do the exercises everyday. Had cortisone injection about5 weeks ago and it hasn't done anything for the pain. Saw different GP as mine away and asked for referral for second cortisone injection (I was told by doctor who did original injection I might need another) She refused. saying I had to be patient! Unfortunately the pain is making me quite miserable, trying to do more with left hand and arm but now worried if I put too much strain on 'good' side it could have a detrimental effect, Have made appointment to see my GP on his return - in 4 weeks - but am seeing acupuncturist tomorrow for possible pain relief. Never had acupuncture but hoping it works. It's the little things that are getting me down, like pulling up my knickers, so hard one handed! Hoping someone on here knows of a treatment that works. Apologies for this post being a bit long winded.

wiggys52 Sun 08-Sep-19 05:14:18

lippyqueen, so sorry to hear about your shoulder. It really is so very frustrating. To try and do some small thing, only to realise your arm won't(can't) stretch that far. silverlining48 very pleased for you that your operation worked. I feel I have improved in a very small way inasmuch that I can now place my right hand in my right front pocket of my jeans. Couldn't do it three weeks ago! Baby steps I keep telling myself.

silverlining48 Fri 06-Sep-19 13:03:07

I had impingement too lippy. It’s a physical thing, a bone which was in the way stopping easy movement. Very awkward. Mine didn’t improve so in the end I had the operation followed by a few appointments at physio ( and doing the exercises regularly) and it did the trick. I am absolutely fine now.

lippyqueen Fri 06-Sep-19 07:30:26

I too have a shoulder problem. The physio calls it impingement but it is very painful and as all have said getting dressed and putting on my bra is agony. It has been 4 months now and I have had physio, acupuncture and am doing all my exercises religiously! I am told too that it can be up to a year. I was offered an injection but as many others have said it doesn’t do anything and comes with a few risks as discussed with my GP yesterday so I thought I would leave it. I hope yours wiggy starts to improve and the same with everyone else. I am afraid our age has much to do with it ?

wiggys52 Fri 06-Sep-19 07:10:54

Hi everyone, I thought I would do an update. I have now had two sessions of acupuncture and I think it is wonderful! I no longer have pain radiating up my neck and down to shoulder blade. Second session has appeared to help with pain in upper arm and I definitely have more movement in arm. Still a long way to go - would really love to shave that armpit! Apologies if that was too much information. I would really recommend acupuncture. I was a little doubtful at first but am so pleased and so is my OH as I'm not so miserable.

silverlining48 Tue 27-Aug-19 22:25:52

I had the shoulder surgery after two injections, second of which didn’t work. I did the physio as instructed as i didn’t want the shoulder to freeze and was fine. It’s very awkward, I know.

wiggys52 Tue 27-Aug-19 22:17:23

Thanks again for all your comments, the toilet issue made me laugh as I have had to learn to do a few things with my left hand, including that! Also the bra issue, I've learnt to hold in right hand and swing it a few times and generally the left had manages to catch it and I do it up and then twist and move it around until it's on. Not a pretty sight. yes I have a rubber band thingy from Physio that I do exercises with, So off to the acupuncturist shortly, fingers crossed.

Callistemon Tue 27-Aug-19 22:11:10

The physio has been very good and quite a lot of movement has come back although it's rather restricted. I'll have a think about the surgery as I wondered if scar tissue could develop afterwards anyway.

Thanks shysal

shysal Tue 27-Aug-19 20:22:18

Callistemon, I just had physio for a couple of months, but then she rather gave up on me. I was not offered surgery or injections and would have refused them anyway. I found the pulley exercises gentler than the band which was impossible for me to stretch at first. After a year I was almost back to normal, but now 3 years later I still have slightly restricted movement.
The most difficult thing for me was putting on socks so had to buy an aid, also had to get long handled nail scissors.

Callistemon Tue 27-Aug-19 17:52:34

Oh dear, glammanana, that sounds horrendous, poor you!

(I shall stop complaining about mine)

glammanana Tue 27-Aug-19 17:45:55

wiggy I feel for you I had a frozen shoulder and worn rotary cuff which was very painful in the end after injections that didn't work I tried acupuncture and had some releif but not as much as I hoped,I carried on with painkillers and physio for a couple of years only to have a bad fall 4 yrs ago and guess what yes I landed on my injured shoulder and smashed up the whole joint beyond repair.
I have suffered the pain ever since as my surgeon cannot promise that things will be less painful if he does the surgery so you have my sympathy.

Callistemon Tue 27-Aug-19 16:48:19

I bought two front fastening bras - very unglamorous but much easier to get on and off

Callistemon Tue 27-Aug-19 16:43:23

Apparently that's what I have shysal. Did you have surgery or did it heal on its own?
No-one has mentioned a pulley but I do have one of those bands to pull on. Perhaps I should investigate

Mossfarr Tue 27-Aug-19 16:39:45

MawB, that had me laughing - spot on with all those problems - I had forgotten the 'toilet issue' LOL.

I couldn't fasten a bra either so I wore one of the all-in-one stretchy type which I stepped into and just pulled up with my good arm. (I learned that little trick after having a mastectomy).

MawB Tue 27-Aug-19 16:26:55

TMI I know but I had to learn to wipe my derrière with my left hand!??
Also now nobody to do up bra or back zips or necklaces...sad

blossom14 Tue 27-Aug-19 16:12:16

I agree with Shysal about exercising with a pulley over the door, it does take some time to get back full movement. It took me nearly a year to recover and even now after 11 years I can recall how very painful it was.

SusieB50 Tue 27-Aug-19 16:11:13

All my sympathies , I injured both shoulderswhen I slipped and fell on some mud last October, and still have pain on movements of my left one particularly . I saw a muscular- skeletal consultant who gave me exercises to do which do help and a referral to physio , still waiting for an appointment since April ! Long waiting list apparently . I have learned to sleep on my right side now , but it often still wakes me if I turn over . The consultant was loathe to give a steroid injection as he says it can tear the muscle in " older people " but if no better by my next appointment in November will think about it . More uncomfortable with my painful hip now ... !! What a joy it is getting old ?

shysal Tue 27-Aug-19 15:53:39

My physio also does acupuncture. Unfortunately for me the benefit only lasted for about 24 hours.

She recommended using a pulley like this one to regain full range of motion after a full thickness tear of the supraspinatus. I did gentle exercises with it facing forwards, backwards and sideways. Good luck!
www.amazon.co.uk/66fit-Shoulder-Exercise-Pulley-Rehabilitation/dp/B00881ZCI8/ref=sr_1_6?s=gateway&keywords=shoulder+pulley&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1566917208&sr=8-6

wiggys52 Tue 27-Aug-19 13:15:04

Thank you all for your comments. I can agree with all of them, especially MawB about putting a bra on! On a cruise recently and I wanted to wear a dress I had bought prior to doing this and I couldn't even get it on. So annoyed. My OH would be good on occasions and then forget completely and go off and leave me trying to manhandle a suitcase and I can really sympathise with you Mossfarr about the jacket. I'll let you all know if the acupuncture works. Thank you again.

Callistemon Tue 27-Aug-19 12:35:12

I too damaged my shoulder, a scan showed the injury was worse than at first thought. However, I have a good deal of movement back thanks to an excellent young physiotherapist.
The consultant offered surgery and I now have to decide whether or not it's worth it as it means going back to square one.
I've not been offered an injection to help with the pain.

wiggy if the tendon is torn would it be worth asking whether surgery would be beneficial?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Aug-19 12:16:26

I injured my shoulder just before Easter in April, still painful especially at night, but it does seem to be not quite so bad, so am hopeful that it will be gone in a few months - perhaps by Christmas? Or maybe by next Easter?

Going to physio but no other intervention.

Mossfarr Tue 27-Aug-19 12:12:49

My damaged tendons & frozen shoulder took one cortisone injection and a whole year of physio before it cleared up.

I really do sympathise, It really is one of the most painful and debilitating injuries isn't it? I too found it frustrating not being able to dress myself properly. I couldn't even zip up trousers after struggling into them.

I was scrupulous about doing the exercises recommended by my physio so I now have full movement again. I go to the gym several times a week and often spend 10 minutes or so doing the stretches to keep the range of movement.

I got no sympathy whatsoever from my OH who once yanked my shoulder, supposedly to help, as I was struggling to put my coat on. He then accused me of exaggerating - the air was blue I can tell you!

vena11 Tue 27-Aug-19 11:51:44

I have had frozen shoulders in both arms at separate times and bursitis in both hips. Frozen shoulders are so painful if moved the wrong way. there are three stages of frozen shoulder, the freeze, frozen and the de frost. it takes about a year , sorry to be so negative but it will get better . keep doing the exercises.
At the moment I have torn tendons on my foot which they say take up to 10 weeks to heal ,I am on my 4th week and still in a bit of pain. It will ease.

shysal Tue 27-Aug-19 11:16:25

I have had torn tendon and frozen shoulders on different occasions. I hate to tell you that recovery took about a year in each case, the same whether I had physio or other treatment or none.
I hope your injury will be a faster healing one.

Fennel Tue 27-Aug-19 09:12:54

I had that, or similar, after a fall a few years ago. The cortisone injection helped, never had physio.
I have no pain now, but limited power and movement at that side. Like you, I use my left side now for many things.
I could be wrong, but I think there's an operation you can have to repair it, but it they have to immobilise the arm for some time.

Urmstongran Tue 27-Aug-19 07:50:08

Poor you - it’s a very painful condition. I developed a frozen shoulder in August 2010. Reaching up to put on a jacket or coat was agony for the next 3 months. It had gone by Christmas though.

Luckily I didn’t need any treatment, except for painkillers now and then to make it bearable.

I hope you feel better soon.