Gransnet forums

Health

seborrheic Keratosis

(54 Posts)
Jube2 Sun 22-Sep-19 06:09:03

Do members have any advice for removal /fading or prevention of this awful skin condition ? Tia

SalsaQueen Fri 10-Jan-20 21:32:24

I've got several small ones around my neck (where a blouse collar would be), but I've grown my hair to almost shoulder-length now, so they aren't visible. I wear make-up, so my face is noticed more than my neck, anyway.

NotSpaghetti Fri 10-Jan-20 13:35:36

Here it is but not sure if you need access rights:
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1346-8138.2005.tb00772.x

Might be worth discussing with your doctor though as they would definitely have access may not know about it. They may prescribe for you.

NotSpaghetti Fri 10-Jan-20 13:31:04

There was a paper on the treatment with vitamin D3... will see if I can find it.

silverlining48 Fri 10-Jan-20 11:43:30

I have just got back from the surgery having had two of these removed. I have loads but had to choose two which were the most irritating.

BlueSky Fri 10-Jan-20 11:03:54

I've got one just on my eyebrow and two different doctors have said that it's too near the eye for treatment.

Ginny42 Fri 10-Jan-20 08:22:28

I had one removed from my face near the hairline by freezing. It didn't hurt at all but the area was a little sensitive for a few days. I can only just feel where it was, but there's no scarring visible. The one on my shoulder is still visible and raised, and as the Dr said at the time I may need to have a further treatment, I shall go back. It was at a private clinic.

agme1977 Fri 10-Jan-20 08:01:20

Hello there, may I ask what brand of wart remover you used? Was your affected area raised like seborrheic keratosis? I have a patch on my face which is bothering me but would be deemed cosmetic by the GP as I already visited her last year with another one which I had a biopsy on. The biopsy pretty much removed it but left a faint scar so I'm not sure I'd want that on the new one which is very visible on the middle of my cheek. Thanks in advance. Abigail.

bikergran Thu 26-Sep-19 16:48:42

Ive had two on my forehead frozen off....also two on my hand.

Not sure if the doc that did them was a bit over selous with the nitro but it almost made a hole in my hand (took ages to heal)

Some of them are appearing again, so once they become a nuisance I shall report back to the doc.

Gonegirl Thu 26-Sep-19 15:07:34

God forbid we should, any of us, admit to being slightly on the old side. hmm

Baggs Thu 26-Sep-19 14:06:50

* any more than

Baggs Thu 26-Sep-19 14:06:15

I don't think there's any reason to take offence at the word senile and more than at its obverse, juvenile. It was being used descriptively in a medical way.

Gonegirl Mon 23-Sep-19 11:55:24

I know "liver spots" as grave marks.

I'm in a cheerful mood this morning.

Daddima Mon 23-Sep-19 11:38:31

The Bodach had a large black keratosis on his back, and his G.P. told him it was common in the elderly. However, after a couple of years it became inflamed and a sore formed, and it turned out it was a malignant melanoma, so, as said before, do keep an eye on them.
He had his removed, but is refusing further hospital visits. He also has Alzheimer’s, and seems to have forgotten about it.

Gonegirl Mon 23-Sep-19 11:03:52

Well yes. I think getting them removed privately must be the answer. You have my sympathy.

Jube2 Mon 23-Sep-19 10:52:46

Well as they are on my face I have to face them daily
Mine are not Liver spots (known as age spots )
Mine are Keratosis and very crusty & raised
I think one can fade liver spots with cider vinegar ..

Gonegirl Mon 23-Sep-19 09:43:46

Good work Farmor15.

Gonegirl Mon 23-Sep-19 09:42:56

My doctor did chuckle, and apologised, when he first diagnosed mine *jube^. I was somewhere in my fifties at the time.

I do think it's a post menopausal thing and is down to aging skin.

Some things just have to be faced. grin

Jube2 Sun 22-Sep-19 23:49:45

By forth valley NHS ...interesting

Senile is a dreadful word to use when diagnosing a skin condition , the word conjures up a mental frailty and should not be used alongside a skin condition IMHO
dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/senile

Farmor15 Sun 22-Sep-19 22:52:52

nhsforthvalley.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Seborrhoeic-Warts-Information-Leaflet.pdf
Just had a look and found link to leaflet.

Gonegirl Sun 22-Sep-19 22:35:05

My post there is in reply to the OP asking for documentation.

Gonegirl Sun 22-Sep-19 22:07:00

[PDF]
Seborrhoeic Warts - NHS Forth Valley

nhsforthvalley.com › Seborrhoeic-Warts-Information-Leaflet
The term 'senile wart' has now been dropped as it offended many patients. Seborrhoeic warts are harmless growths on the skin, which are very common in the ...
You visited this page on 22/09/19.

Sorry, I can't link to the actual pdf.

Jube2 Sun 22-Sep-19 21:58:22

I agree they are worth checking anyway , its easy to miss one on your back as you can't exactly see it properly
I'll have those on my head checked too , my hair hides them so I'm not bothered about having them removed ..
They are really ugly and so visible when on ones face !!!

MamaCaz Sun 22-Sep-19 19:18:30

You need to keep an eye on these just as you would any other growth on your skin. Any change should be investigated. Any that the doctor decides might be becoming 'dodgy' can be easily removed.
One doctor suggested that it could be useful to get someone to photograph your back every so often, so that you might spot changes more easily.

Jube2 Sun 22-Sep-19 18:58:54

I think you should get it removed KatyK especially if you think it’s growing .
Ive noticed some growing in my hair but I’m not bothered about these
I don’t think the word senile warts would offend those
that find a keratosis growing at a young age.
Where was it documented that the “ Senile Wart” title was dropped ?

KatyK Sun 22-Sep-19 18:04:36

Yes Jube To be honest I've never taken much notice of it. It was very small at first and is bigger now. I have had it looked at so am not worried. It's on the side of my face so I can cover it with my hair but as I said I might get it removed.