Gransnet forums

Health

GORD and Zantax

(24 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Mon 30-Sep-19 21:29:07

Zantax is in today's news as Ireland have banned the sale of the indigestion/acid reflux tablets and their generic counterparts.
The UK is considering the facts.
Apparently, certain batches of the tablets ie: made in India, have been found to cause cancer.
The full story can be found in MailOnline.

GabriellaG54 Mon 30-Sep-19 21:30:58

Correction: Zantac.

rosecarmel Tue 01-Oct-19 00:04:24

It's also being removed from shelves here in the US-

GabriellaG54 Tue 01-Oct-19 00:09:08

Uh-oh...not good ????

Lilypops Sat 05-Oct-19 21:56:39

Gabriella54 , don't panic, there's always Gaviscon liquid and tablets, I have it on repeat prescription as I have a hiatus hernia, I also buy Gaviscon tablets and the liquid sachets to keep in my bag,
You could always ask your GP for Omeprazole if you haven't already and watch out for trigger foods ,

Gonegirl Sat 05-Oct-19 22:29:31

Are you sure that's the point of the OP lilypops? confused

I have only rarely used ranitidine because it doesn't work for me. But I've thrown out the pack I had in the drawer.

Lilypops Sat 05-Oct-19 22:40:19

Gone girl , Does it matter!!
I was pointing out that there are is other alternatives to Ranitidine, if you read G54 she's saying that's not good if it's it's being withdrawn , She is obviously concerned, Dont you start on me ,

Gonegirl Sat 05-Oct-19 22:43:35

Dont you start on me

gringrin grin

Soz. [flowers

Gonegirl Sat 05-Oct-19 22:44:32

flowers

Lilypops Sat 05-Oct-19 22:51:06

Gone girl , thanks

GabriellaG54 Tue 08-Oct-19 19:24:14

Let me clear up any misunderstanding.
I do not need or take any tablets.
I do not have any gastric issues.
It was an article which I thought might interest GNers who have gastric problems and either buy OTC products or have prescriptions.
My concern ('not good' ? etc) was for those people who rely on the product(s)

Gonegirl Tue 08-Oct-19 19:29:58

I was waiting for that Gabriella. Of course anything so absolutely downmarket as acid reflux would never be entertained by your particular temple. grin

giulia Tue 08-Oct-19 20:10:07

I've had hiatus hernia for years and take no medication whatsoever.

I just make sure I've finished eating by seven p.m.

No problems,

GabriellaG54 Tue 08-Oct-19 20:10:49

Just now

GabriellaG54 Tue 08-Oct-19 20:15:51

Gonegirl
Your juvenile post indicates that anyone suffering with acid reflux has a downmarket gastrointestinal issue.
How ridiculous but not unexpected to read such a daft comment.

Gonegirl Tue 08-Oct-19 21:01:35

Righto. grin

Gonegirl Tue 08-Oct-19 21:04:10

I don't think anyone relies on ranitidine these days. PPIs work so much better.

Good warning though. smile

NanTheWiser Tue 08-Oct-19 22:20:04

The recall only applies to prescribed Zantac - OTC supplies aren't affected:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49977829

annodomini Tue 08-Oct-19 22:31:28

I've had Ranitidine on prescription for many years, in conjunction with Omeprazole and Gaviscon Advance. Sounds like overkill hmm but the mixture was prescribed by an ENT consultant and it saved my vocal chords from further damage by acid reflux.

annodomini Tue 08-Oct-19 22:31:57

I'll be on to the GP asap

annodomini Thu 10-Oct-19 13:53:33

My GP says that they have heard nothing from NHS England about Ranitidine (Zantac). So I will continue with it as I've just received two months' prescription.

Farmor15 Thu 10-Oct-19 14:23:58

I take ranitidine now and then as I have hiatus hernia, but I'm not stopping it now. I read a bit about the "scare" and the BBC news link Nan posted includes the following:
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) says the health risk of discontinuing the medicine is higher than the potential risk presented by the contaminant N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA).

A couple of years ago, another medication, valarstan, was found to contain traces of NDMA and risk assessment by European Medicines Agency (EMA) concluded:

The EMA has now published a preliminary assessment of the possible cancer risk associated with valsartan medicines containing NDMA. This preliminary assessment, which has been extrapolated from animal studies, estimates that there could be one extra case of cancer for every 5,000 patients taking the affected medicines at the highest valsartan dose (320 mg) every day for 7 years. The EMA notes that this estimate should be considered in the context of the lifetime risk of cancer in the EU (1 in 3) and NDMA exposure from other sources

Farmor15 Thu 10-Oct-19 14:27:23

Gonegirl - a lot of people still take Ranitidine - long term ppi use has been found to have a variety of negative effects.

giulia Fri 11-Oct-19 07:54:49

PS: Zantac has also been removed here in Italy, as of last week.