Gransnet forums

Health

Has someone got a copy, please? List of medicines threatened by No Deal Brexit

(13 Posts)
jura2 Fri 04-Oct-19 09:10:42

I'd be grateful, thanks.

annodomini Fri 04-Oct-19 09:34:28

I'll try to find it. I know I saw it, because I know that several of the things I take are threatened. I think it might have been in an on-line newspaper. I'll get back to you if I find it.

annodomini Fri 04-Oct-19 09:37:04

Googled it and found it here, oddly enough. It includes my BP tablets and Omeprazole.

Fiachna50 Fri 04-Oct-19 10:03:57

If everyone begins panicking, it is only going to make the situation worse. This reporting is completely irresponsible and is just panicking people.

jura2 Fri 04-Oct-19 10:09:25

And quite rightly so- people have a right to know. They may be asked at some point in the near future- to vote for certain parties or certain outcomes ...

Some people are making alternative arrangements too- to ensure they and their family, grandchildren, won't be put at risk. I have already arranged to get my GS's life-saving medication through my doctor here, on private prescription.

Thank you anno - very grateful- and if I ever can be of any help x

jura2 Fri 04-Oct-19 10:15:49

An article in the current BMJ expresses great concerns about the rise of counterfeit, substandard and falsified drugs coming on the market from India and China. This will be made much worse if people try to get hold of the medicines they use and that won't be available, from the internet, etc.

One of the many elements the article mentions too, is that a very low Sterling, makes importing medicines much more expensive. Compared to the Swiss France, for instance, Sterling has fallen by over 60% in 10 years (I know, for sure !) .. which means that 60% is added to the cost.

Teacheranne Fri 04-Oct-19 10:33:19

After an earlier post on here, I googled this list and found several different versions. But at least two of the medications I use daily are on all the lists so I spoke to my doctor about it when I went for some test results.

He refused to increase the amount I can have on my repeat prescriptions so I cannot build up a stockpile. He said that the surgery have looked at all their repeat essential prescriptions and in most cases have identified alternative drugs which will not be affected, if indeed there will be a problem. Unless there is an immediate danger to a persons health, in which case I assume they are making plans, this alternative medicine will be automatically prescribed if a pharmacist cannot supply something.

I'm not sure I was fully reassured but I don't think any of mine are life threatening as I know there are a lot of different drugs for high blood pressure. It's just a bit tedious having repeated visits to the clinic when any changes are made.

jura2 Fri 04-Oct-19 11:03:20

And Brexiters just say 'pure scare mongering' - how to respond ?!?

Izabella Fri 04-Oct-19 11:23:41

The global problems in medicine supplies are multifactorial and not necessarily linked to brexit.

The UK has one of the cheapest medicine supplies and when there are world shortages, bigpharma is unlikely to let us have the supplies needed. They will go elsewhere where greater profits can be made.

None of us really knows what will happen post-brexit but to blame a current global supply problem purely on brexit seems a tad unfair. Whilst its effects cannot be totally discounted, there are other factors to consider.

GabriellaG54 Fri 04-Oct-19 13:26:41

If you read and believe every report, you need a reality check.
99% of shortages are due to manufacturers, nothing to do with Brexit but dumbass reporting attracts like minded readers.

Bopeep14 Fri 04-Oct-19 14:02:12

www.sps.nhs.uk/category/shortages-discontinuations-and-expiries/
You could try this link.

paddyann Fri 04-Oct-19 16:07:51

Not according to the pharmacist I know Gabriella G54 I dont mind changing my BP med but my HRT is a no deal...it took a long time to find one to suit me and changing just isn't an option.I was told to order them monthly instead of 3 monthly so even if they're out of stock theres a chance I'll have enough to last until the supply is back to normal .

Before anyone thinks that its unreasonable to stockpile can I say that without my HRT ,there was a long time I just wanted to go to sleep and not wake up .These patches have saved my life and my marriage .

GabriellaG54 Fri 04-Oct-19 18:38:15

For anyone who thinks it's ok to stockpile anything, food, meds etc, just think...if someone else stockpiling meant there wasn't enough for you and you had to go without...what then?
Would you be mad at the person who thought their 'need' overrode your 'need'?
Would you complain on here?
Would ypu blame the pharmacy or the GP who allowed multiples to be dispensed?
Likewise for food.

I wonder how many marriages routinely broke up due to menopause 'issues' before the wider use of HRT in the 60s.
Men need to have understanding and patience.