Gransnet forums

Health

Endometriosis

(10 Posts)
Auntieflo Mon 07-Oct-19 18:28:53

I just wonder why this has been brought to prominence just now?
Is it that research has finally believed those who may not have been really listened to?
Not that I am not interested, I am, as I used to suffer badly, from about my mid 30's.

Like others I was told to take pain killers, and it wasn't until I practically collapsed at home and DH called the Dr.
A Locum visited and diagnosed what I had suspected all along.
I was prescribed some tablets, that were nothing short of a miracle, stopping the awful pains, that happened every second month.
I had said that the only thing that had helped in the past, was giving birth. That was rather a dramatic way to help, but it did appear that having a great clear out, and hormonal cycles being interrupted, was a cure of some sort.
It is good news that the young women who are suffering greatly, are now really being heard, at last.
I wonder how many hidden sufferers there have been?

Ilovecheese Mon 07-Oct-19 18:36:09

A lot. It used to be said that pregnancy would cure endometriosis, but this is now proved to be false. It might improve the endometriosis or it might not. An operation can help temporarily, but is not a cure. Having a cool fitted can alleviate the symptoms but, of course, that is no good if a woman is trying to conceive.
I can remember one or two M.P.s talking about their experiences a couple of years ago, but can't remember who they were. It is a terrible disease, which is overlooked and not diagnosed far too often and thank goodness that more doctors seem to be aware of the symptoms.

Harris27 Mon 07-Oct-19 18:42:51

My doctor told me my heavy periods came with age I was 45 ! Went back and forth till one day I collapsed and was rushed to hospital cyst and endometriosis. I had to have a hysterectomy and lost a lot of blood and transfusion. No one listened to me so I hope these girls get help.

EllanVannin Mon 07-Oct-19 18:43:29

There's no getting away from it we are lagging behind in these sorts of problems. This illness, and it is, has been going on for decades and it's only now that it's being recognised as such. I despair with many things concerning anatomy and physiology and also the psychological effects that such a problem causes.

Gonegirl Mon 07-Oct-19 18:50:57

I don't understand why they don't diagnose it sooner. It's been around enough.

Just don't get it.

suziewoozie Mon 07-Oct-19 21:27:26

If men got it..........

merlotgran Mon 07-Oct-19 21:41:17

DD2 had a hysterectomy aged 41 due to endometriosis. Because she'd had three successful pregnancies with no trouble conceiving she was treated for just about everything under the sun until, in desperation, she paid for private treatment.

There were complications after the op resulting in a shortened ureter, necessary bladder reconstruction and now has a dodgy kidney. In total she had to have five operations in a a year.

There's no family history of endo but IMO it should have been picked up earlier before doing so much damage.

bikergran Tue 08-Oct-19 14:04:50

My elder dd suffered (still does at 48) cysts that came and went,not much sympathy from health profession.

Tried IVF 3 times but nothing.

humptydumpty Tue 08-Oct-19 14:21:45

My DD had excruciating period pains as a teenager and was worried about endometriosis but GP just siad 'it'll sort itself out by the time you're 18 - instead of waiting til then we went to see a private gynaecologist in London who was outraged that they wouldn't refer her for a U/S scan and wrote to the practice to that effect; suprise, surprise, a ferral was then forthcoming. Luckily she was given the all-clear, but we were lucky that we could afford to go private. Was the practice sloppy or unwilling to spend money?

Namsnanny Tue 08-Oct-19 14:30:46

Similar back story with me.

I remember collapsing at least 4 times at school and the same st home in my teens.
The school sent me to detention for ‘using the normal female cycle as an excuse to get out of games/maths etc.,’
My mother said I was exaggerating. God that was a hellish time.
I didn’t get any help and only an explanation when I was in my 40’s after a raging temperature and a visit to AnE (who sent me home only to be re admitted and sent home twice again).
A locum visited me at home and took me straight back to hospital where they put me on inroveinous antibiotics and other things until I was better.
I was told I’d had so many abdominal infections in the past that a hysterectomy may not be poss as the build up of scar tissue was so dense.
It’s made a huge impact on my life.
The lack of understanding, proper care, but by far the effect of the GP’s/mothers minimising, and ridiculing my situation has had such psychological impact on my life.

Sorry I have vented.

I didn’t realise I still felt so strongly!

Push for help and don’t take no for an answer.