Gransnet forums

Health

Withdrawal from prescribed drugs

(5 Posts)
NanKate Thu 10-Oct-19 10:02:39

I have been given the good news that my Polymyalgia has left me for the second time, however getting off the steroids is not proving easy. I am only on a low dose 4 mg a day but when I tried to reduce it to 2 mg a day to celebrate not having PMR anymore I have felt dreadful - headache, nausea and general yuckyness. So now I am back up to 3 and a half a day. Anyone else had this problem ?

Singlegrannie Thu 10-Oct-19 10:19:05

Not me, but a friend of mine has. I believe that it is necessary to reduce the dose very gradually, over months of even years in some cases if on a high dose. Best to discuss it with your doctor.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 10-Oct-19 13:35:26

I have PM and take steroids, just 2 mg a day. Every now and again I try to reduce or come off them. I do this very very gradually, stopping a 1 mg tabled for one day a week for a month, then increasing it to 2 days a month and so on. I have got to point where I am down to 1 mg a day but then the pain of PM starts to return so I have to back on a higher dose and then reduce back down to my 2mg.

AT the moment I am having a flareup and increased my steroids to 5 megs a day. Will continue this for a month and then see if the flareup has gone by reducing back to 2mg.

It is best to discuss with your Dr first, the dose you are taking is not considered high, the Dr may well do a blood test to see what your inflammation levels are.

NanKate Thu 10-Oct-19 21:22:00

Thanks folks it was my doc who told me that my blood markers showed I was within the normal range. He said to reduce the tablets in what ever way I wanted and get back to him when I had finished the 100 tablets he has prescribed. He suggested that if my aches and pains returned it could be the withdrawal symptoms and to take Ibuprofen not up my steroids.

I think it is a case of trial and error.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 11-Oct-19 00:20:16

Yes sounds good advice, unfortunately I am not allowed to take Ibuprofen or codeine due to my PBC, so its up the steroids for me or a hot water bottle. Happy to hear its sorted.