Gransnet forums

Health

Shoulder Replacement

(15 Posts)
willowcat1 Fri 11-Oct-19 09:09:25

I have just been told that I need a shoulder replacement due to arthritis. This should happen before Christmas. I have had two successful hip replacements in the past but don't know anyone who has had this operation. Has anyone had this treatment and can give me some indication of what to expect. Unfortunately I am right handed and it is my right shoulder.

Luckygirl Fri 11-Oct-19 09:53:25

No experience here - but isn't it wonderful what can be done! ?

I send every good wish for a life free of pain for you.

Anja Fri 11-Oct-19 10:27:11

My hairdresser was telling me one of her customers had this. I never knew it was possible.

Apparently she is very happy with it and recovering remarkably well, so good luck ??

Judy54 Fri 11-Oct-19 14:17:23

Hello a friend of mine had a shoulder replacement a few weeks ago and is doing really well. She is so glad she had it done and I hope all works out well for you too. It is remarkable what can be done these days. All good wishes.

vena11 Fri 11-Oct-19 14:21:27

My 78 year old SIL had this done last year and she thinks its amazing and so glad she had it done.

Fennel Fri 11-Oct-19 14:27:54

Good wishes for your operation,*willowcat*.
I have a problem with my right shoulder too, after a fall a few years ago. But it's not painful now TG, just a general weakness.
I think the shoulder joint is a simple ball and socket joint, like the hip, so a replacement is in theory simpler than for eg the knee or the ankle. Which are more complex joints.
I'm still not tempted to have mine done - tired of hospitals.

Teetime Fri 11-Oct-19 14:29:28

My mother had a shoulder replacement several years ago for her RA and it was wonderful and she was so surprised at how little pain there was. Good Luck hope it goes well xx

willowcat1 Fri 11-Oct-19 14:48:58

Thank you all for your good wishes. It sounds as though this is a successful procedure and it would be so nice to be pain free.

Jane10 Fri 11-Oct-19 14:50:58

A friend had a shoulder replacement after a fall where she broke it. She recovered amazingly well and surprisingly quickly.

Nannarose Fri 11-Oct-19 15:07:30

Yes, I had one 4 years ago, also after 2 hip replacements. I am hoping that you are able to walk without sticks or crutches? And that you have someone to care for you for a week or so?

I'm right-handed and it was my left shoulder, so not as difficult. I will tell you what happened to me, bearing in mind that we are all different, and the procedures vary.

General anaesthetic, as local not possible. 2 nights in hospital, and a total of 4 days with upper arm bound tightly to my chest. I could just move my hand and wrist. Then, just like the hip replacements - gradual improvement with exercise etc.
For most purposes I am fine,and I can raise my arm to 180 degrees. I will tell you what I can no longer do:
Ride a bike (strictly, I can, but a fall would be so catastrophic, I decided it was time to stop, and my own circumstances don't make a trike practical)
Swim front or back crawl, but I have been taught modified versions.
Support any significant weight if my arm is above horizontal. I mean that I can reach something light from a shelf - a cup or glass for example - but I couldn't reach down a jar of rice or flour.
I can carry normal shopping bags, and I can carry, for example, a dish of vegetables to the table. But I don't carry anything weighty like a big casserole because I occasionally 'wobble' (when it's a big casserole there's someone else to carry it!)
My 'reach' is less than it was, but I barely notice on a day to day basis.
I do hope that helps.

Charleygirl5 Fri 11-Oct-19 15:10:32

Nannarose has given you some very practical advice. I have sent you a PM.

annodomini Fri 11-Oct-19 15:38:36

I had a partial shoulder replacement 13 years ago. It had been giving me great pain, so the surgery was a huge relief. The anaesthetist gave me a nerve block before the op, which meant that afterwards there was little or no post-op pain for a good 24 hours and I would strongly recommend that you ask about having one. I had a lot pf physiotherapy afterwards which wasn't always comfortable but I regained enough mobility to do a slightly limited front crawl. Two years ago, I fell and fractured that same shoulder (very ouch!), but luckily it didn't involve the replacement and healed remarkably quickly.

annodomini Fri 11-Oct-19 15:47:39

I meant to add that the nerve block was not an alternative to at general anaesthetic, just a very good solution to post-op pain - morphine makes me horribly sick.

agnurse Fri 11-Oct-19 15:54:53

I do not know much about shoulder replacements specifically, but I have heard anecdotally that many people who have had hip replacements find that even the post-op pain is substantially less than the arthritis pain they suffered prior to the surgery.

One of my colleagues had such a patient. She frequently assessed his pain as he said he didn't want anything for pain. Finally he explained to her that the pain he was experiencing now was nothing compared to what he had experienced before the surgery. She finally convinced him to take something for the pain on the grounds that it would make her feel better grin (In all seriousness, there is now evidence that poorly treated acute pain, such as post-op pain, may increase the risk for developing chronic pain, which is why pain management is very important for patients.)

BlueSapphire Sun 13-Oct-19 12:29:12

I had a partial shoulder replacement after I fell down and smashed my humerus (upper arm) bone. In hospital for two days, general anaesthetic, wore a sling for about 4/6 weeks, and had physio. It was quite painful for a while but my GP prescribed good painkillers.

Despite the physio, I never regained full movement in the shoulder joint (right shoulder), but have adapted really well, and can do most things, except raise my arm fully. DH had to wash my hair for me at first! When I do yoga, the teacher says to do what I can, and I just adapt, or she will suggest something. I find though as time goes on that everything gets easier.