Gransnet forums

Health

CA125 blood test

(8 Posts)
farview Sat 12-Oct-19 20:18:08

Has anyone else had this done ...and was the result negative?

annsixty Sat 12-Oct-19 20:23:49

I took part in the research programme-a few years ago, going to the Wellcome Institute in Manchester every year for 6 years for blood tests
I think the money eventually ran out.
For those who have not heard of it , it is a test for ovarian cancer, I have not heard of anyone who has had the test, sorry.

Jools444 Sat 12-Oct-19 20:50:52

I had the blood test during an initial gynaecologist appointment and my result came back high (which caused me a great deal of anxiety). However, an MRI showed I had endometriosis and adenomyosis which can also cause a raised test result.

GabriellaG54 Sun 13-Oct-19 03:02:13

One can get false positives with blood tests. They are only markers which indicate that further procedures are necessary to confirm (or not) the indications which do not necessarily point to the 'culprit'.
Read about it on the NHS website or Google for info.

harrigran Sun 13-Oct-19 09:23:03

I took part in the ovarian cancer research programme and they took blood tests at intervals throughout the ten year trial.
They did not give us the blood results but kept samples for future reference. I was chosen to have annual scans to monitor me, thankfully I did not develop ovarian cancer but I did get another cancer that did not show up in those investigations.

IvvieN Sun 13-Oct-19 09:28:32

I had a year of blood tests combined with internal scans after an ovarian cyst was discovered during other tests. My CA125 levels were in the ‘Normal’ range, and the cyst stayed the same size, so they just left it alone after the year was up

Barmeyoldbat Sun 13-Oct-19 09:46:04

I had an upper body MRI scan two years ago, a routine one that I have every couple of years for a medical condition and it came back that I had a lump on my left ovary. I was then given the blood test which came back positive with a high reading. Within 3 weeks I was in hospital having both removed. So no more babies grin

farview Sun 13-Oct-19 21:48:29

Thanks for the replies...have to have one on Tues..too much detail to go into...not feeling well at all...had pelvic scan,have to see urologist..
just hoping that the CA125 is negative..