Gransnet forums

Health

Cataracts

(23 Posts)
trousers Mon 14-Oct-19 09:18:47

Has anyone had this procedure? I am due to see consultant for apt (not the procedure) soon. Just wondered what to expect and how successful the op is? thank you!

Sealover Mon 14-Oct-19 09:31:25

For some unknown reason I had early cataracts, (early 50's). I am not diabetic or had an accident etc. I really put off having them done until I became aware I was having serious problems driving. Basically, I was terrified. The procedure was straightforward, was not at all painful, for me. The staff were excellent. The outcome was amazing! Colours came back into my life (as did road signs!). Ten years on and I haven't had any problems. I have just had an eye test, my distance vision is 20/20 and the implants are clear. I am eternally grateful to the NHS for such improved sight. Good luck to you, go to the appointment with a list of any questions you have. Everyone's experience is different but for me it was life changing!

Nonnie Mon 14-Oct-19 09:46:56

Not had this done myself but it won't be long. Everyone I know who has had the operation has been very, very happy with it. Seems to be quite straightforward.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 14-Oct-19 09:49:25

I also had mine done in my 50's same as you Sealover. It was such a success and I have never regretted it. It was knee wobbly scared of the procedure but in the end it was easier and a better experience than the dentist.

I would say go for it.. The next day when I took my patch off and saw the colours I could have cried with joy.

jaylucy Mon 14-Oct-19 09:54:15

Not had it done - yet but worked with someone that put the op off for years and after being talked into it by an optician friend, had both eyes done and wondered why on earth he hadn't had it done before!
I can say that the staff in the eye clinics are so kind and helpful , the pros and cons will be explained to you at this first appointment. If you have any questions, write them down and take it with you. If the consultant doesn't get a chance to answer them, the nursing staff will be more than happy to.

Davida1968 Mon 14-Oct-19 10:01:02

Yes, I had both done in my 50s. One in a private hospital and one in an NHS hospital. Both operations were excellent and I've had no problems since. When it comes to pain, I am a paid-up member of the Cowards Union, but my Dad (who'd had both done) talked me through the procedure and assured me that I'd be fine. Which I was.

KatyK Mon 14-Oct-19 10:26:39

My husband had this done about a month ago. I'm not sure how long the procedure took, maybe 45 mins but I could be wrong. He had no problems at all, no pain. He is still having to have drops in until his follow up appointment next week. He said his vision is much improved.

Shinyredcar Mon 14-Oct-19 10:37:25

I had my first done three months ago and have an appointment for the second, which I am looking forward to. A jolly group of people on the day agreed after our ops that we would rather do that again, than go to the dentist, so you can tell it wasn't too bad! A little uncomfortable, but not painful, and the transformation in vision was amazing. Recovery very rapid. I was about to be told to stop driving, but within two days of the op was cleared to drive again.

Now I have stopped wearing glasses, no need, my optician says, except for reading. That takes some getting used to after a lifetime with specs. So relax, and ask questions if you need to (I didn't - they explained every minor step) and look forward to amazing eyesight afterwards.

LadyGracie Mon 14-Oct-19 11:18:57

My DH had his done in June and July, he says it’s magic to be able to see again. Each eye took between 20 & 30 minutes.

DH said there was no pain, just a little pressure.

He now only wears glasses for reading.

Nansypansy Mon 14-Oct-19 11:23:21

My estranged husband is still waiting for his operation date because he will have to have it done under anaesthetic and they were reluctant to do it as he has glaucoma and also Essential Tremor of the head. Apart from that he’s quite fit for 83 and looking forward to getting it done.

gillyknits Mon 14-Oct-19 11:33:26

My husband had it done three weeks ago. No pain and no problems. Just to set your mind at rest, they use anaesthetic drops these days no needles. That had been worrying my husband a lot.
He can’t wait to get the other one done as he has been short sighted since he was young.
One downside.... he keeps reading out all the car number plates on distant cars! (Makes me wonder how much he could see to drive before, eek! )

Liz46 Mon 14-Oct-19 12:02:54

Oh gillyknits, I must have driven my husband mad when I was reading number plates to him after I had my cataracts removed.
I had both done when I was about 70, an uncomfortable procedure about on a par with the hygienist. I had a bit of trouble afterwards and had a bit of laser treatment which was totally painless. Just get him to check number plates regularly to make sure he needs no 'clearing up' afterwards.

wildswan16 Mon 14-Oct-19 12:14:45

Cataract surgery is wonderful and makes a massive difference to people's lives. The procedure is so simple and nothing to get anxious about.

There have been several threads about it - if you type "cataracts" into the search box at the top of the forum you will be able to read them.

glammanana Mon 14-Oct-19 13:34:19

Another recent convert to the clear vision brigade here,I have had both of mine done in the past 3mths and just can't praise the procedure enough.
No pain at all after having the anesthetic drops and just the slightest pressure but certainly no pain experienced.
I can assure you no one could have been more frightened of the experience than I was and with no cause at all.

gillyknits Tue 15-Oct-19 10:53:22

My husband has been told he’ll have to wait at least six months to have the other eye done. It’s a very long wait when your eyes are out of sync. I wonder where you live if it’s only three months waiting time. Perhaps we need to move.! ?

trousers Tue 15-Oct-19 17:24:08

oh thank you so much everyone! i will get my list of questions ready, but my mind has been eased considerably. i look forward to driving everyone mad reciting number plates. ?

mcem Tue 15-Oct-19 17:45:59

I was about to suggest the GN search but wildswan beat me to it.
I have posted on several threads and reassured lots of posters. Please read through the threads.
Bottom line - nervous first time but absolutely trouble free. Second time - really blasé!
Go for it and enjoy the results!

M0nica Tue 15-Oct-19 17:48:56

Best thing that ever happened to me!

I was very short-sighted, which is probably why I developed cataracts in my early 60s. If you are shortsighted your own lens gets replaced by one made up to your glasses prescription or very close.

The operations were a doddle and now the first thing I do in the morning is not reach for my specs. I now only need glasses for distance work like driving. I can read, type this post and do everything during the day without a pair of specs. It is fantastic.

kircubbin2000 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:04:05

I got valium today in preparation but am worried it will make me woozy. Did anyone else have sedation?

M0nica Tue 15-Oct-19 21:25:46

I had sedation, I think it was a couple of pills, but it was very light and I came to towards the end of each operation. I was told this would happen and I certainly couldn't feel anything.

You are always recommended to have someone with you for 24 hours after any procedure.

How it affects you depends on how you react to anaesthetics generally. I was back to normal and bouncing around within minutes of the operation ending. But that is how I respond to all anaesthetics, light or more substantial. On the other hand DH was groggy for several days, but for him that was par for the course. General anaesthetics leave him groggy for a week.

SueSocks Tue 15-Oct-19 21:42:20

Had both of mine done in my 50s, the ops were about 2 years apart as they will not operate unless the condition is affecting your life. Agree with what most of the posters have said. The difference in your sight is incredible as soon as you take the eye patch off the following day. No pain, just a slight gritty feeling the day after. Putting in the eye drops was tricky but I found a way. Distance vision is now fine, still need reading glasses - that is no problem.
I had to be sedated due to anxiety issues, but I was still aware of everything that was going on.
Good luck - it is a life changing op!

Anannymous Mon 28-Oct-19 09:24:04

Strange question I know but when they perform the cataract surgery are you in a chair like the Dentist’s or do you lay on a bed?

mcem Tue 29-Oct-19 11:25:28

Lying down in my case with the surgeon standing behind me (and a lovely nurse to my right, holding my hand!)