Gransnet forums

Health

Fear of dentist

(71 Posts)
Sheena Fri 01-Nov-19 19:57:17

I changed last year from my dentist as I hated going and had lost confidence in her. So I changed and went to a small private practice and my initial appointment went ok until she told me I had to have a tooth out. I had lost a bit of filling and thought she would patch me up ,but no... the tooth had to come out . Very traumatic as I said.. I have a complete phobia but I got through it. Took a long time to heal and ulcerated quite badly but in the end it healed. Then in June I went back as getting twinges with hot and cold in another tooth ... she said the whole filling had to come out and a new one in .. an hour.s appointment ... o m g I was terrified but yes , I got through it. BUT .. it is far worse than it was .. she put a composite filling in which feels horrid and rough .. and heavens ! The hot and cold sensations are far worse.... I am trying to hang on and not go back but it is misery ... and I now feel I’ve lost faith in her too. I thought going to a private one would give me more confidence, which it did at first, but each time I’ve seen her I’ve gone through agonies. Ok , maybe my teeth are now starting to deteriorate ... but I feel nervous to go back to her. My common sense tells me I am being foolish , but oh, I now worry I need to find another dentist . Don’t know what to do .

Puzzled Mon 25-Oct-21 16:45:25

After bad experiences, always avoided dentists wherever possible. Just before lockdown HAD to have an extraction. Anti climax, did not know it was out until he showed me.
Sadly, with the pandemic, he has retired and gone back to South Africa, so don't know who,, if anyone, I'll have..

MissAdventure Sat 23-Oct-21 12:30:15

I'm no expert, but I have had teeth taken out due to gum problems, and it has solved the issue.
Do you have an abscess?
I know they will usually give antibiotics before removing the tooth in that case.

Unknown123 Sat 23-Oct-21 12:13:12

Hi.
Before i signed up i was reading about people who have been to the Dentist but the Dentist wouldnt take the tooth out because it was a gum problem.
I now have the same problem. I can not take pain killers...iam in consent pain..
Surely if they take the tooth out the pain would go.
Any advice please.

etheltbags1 Fri 22-Oct-21 08:49:36

My dentist is both nhs and private so when I get nhs treatment, if I require anything more complicated , I just get private. I am terrified of dentists after 2 bad experiences, I go into shock and can't stop shaking, I need an implant as I can't cope with a denture. I have changed practices twice and dentists twice in my current practice. Then young girl I have now is fab, she chats to me to distract me, also my gp will give me a couple of tranquilisers to take before the visit.

travelsafar Fri 22-Oct-21 08:35:50

My heart feels for you. I use to be like this until i found the practise i am with at the moment. Over 20years of attending. My BIGGEST fear is that my dentist will leave and go eslewhere. He is so kind and gentle i never feel afraid at going. If you are in the Hertfordshire area i can give you the name of the practise. PM me for details.

MissAdventure Fri 22-Oct-21 08:29:58

It had spam added to it yesterday, which is what I reported.

lemongrove Thu 21-Oct-21 23:51:28

This thread is two years old.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Oct-21 22:06:21

Reported.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Oct-21 22:05:30

youtu.be/mBcY3W5WgNU

Pearly123 Thu 21-Oct-21 21:56:18

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

kittylester Tue 21-Sep-21 08:08:02

I suggest you ring your local PALS. Their Dental advisor should be able to help you.

Jaffacake2 Tue 21-Sep-21 08:00:45

I am another person who is terrified of going to the dentist. I had awful treatment as a child with large fillings done without pain relief ,practically all my teeth filled by early teens. Now I'm older the teeth are cracking off around the fillings. Main problem also is I had an anaphylactic shock to local anaesthetic 9 years ago and have not been to a dentist since then.
Really feeling low about state of my mouth now and affecting my eating but don't know who to go to. A couple of local dentists have declined treating me as I am high risk from anaphylaxis.
What can I do next ?

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 21-Sep-21 07:51:37

I have a phobia about Dentists too, bad memories of the School Dentist in the mobile caravan in the 1950s. But a few years ago I went privately to a Cosmetic Dentist and he is brilliant, talks me through everything first and they know I have problems even getting over the doorstep and they are very kind. Parking is easy ( if I thought I couldn’t park at the various NHS dentists that would be my excuse for cancelling) and they know me well.
The charges can be eye watering but as I hadn’t been to a dentist in a very long time, that’s my fault. He will always try to save a tooth and they are always done well.
If you are near Oxford I can let you have his name, although due to Covid he isn’t taking on any new patients at the moment.
But I would advise you to change your dentist.
Before Covid a lot of his patients were people who had gone to cheap foreign dentists and he was redoing their shoddy work.

alanspear Tue 21-Sep-21 04:37:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

geekesse Mon 26-Apr-21 22:46:05

Reported post from hideboom as spam.

timetogo2016 Mon 26-Apr-21 14:21:57

I have a very good dentist,but they do cost the earth.

hideboom Fri 23-Apr-21 16:16:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Hronos Thu 27-Feb-20 12:22:46

Is it worth it to be afraid of a coronavirus when traveling? For example, I will soon be in Hungary and I'm interested in dentistry in Hungary. I found this link en.bookimed.com/clinics/country=hungary/direction=dentistry/ where many clinics around the world. Now I should choose the best place.

Yiayia4532 Thu 21-Nov-19 17:11:20

Hey there, I am so sorry to hear about your fear of the dentist. I totally understand how you feel as I have suffered from this a long time as well.
It’s actually embarrassing none of my friends or family have ever had the same issues. I would love to help you and tell you what I did to help me get over this fear.
I tried many different things and none worked as well as this.
I actually came across a video on YouTube that I followed and it worked really well.
Here is the link dausel.co/fRzqe4
Click on the link above and when you get to the landing page, click where it says I am not a robot and then you will be sent to the YouTube video that will have the cure for your fear.
The best part is you don’t need to buy anything, just watch the video and follow the advice and tips it gives you.
Hope it helps,all the best!

floorflock Mon 04-Nov-19 03:43:23

Shocking isn't it - he didn't get a numb leg though as the plunger wasn't pressed!

Sparklefizz Sun 03-Nov-19 20:10:40

floorflock shock

floorflock Sun 03-Nov-19 19:34:56

I would just add that we started at an NSH dentist but after having a different person every time we went and DH being stabbed in the leg with the inection I decided I could not return there and went private. - Had that been me they would have heard me in the next town!!

floorflock Sun 03-Nov-19 19:33:16

Being needle phobic and scared of dentists I have a problem too. I pay for a private dentist because of the extra care I get. I have everything numbed thoroughly with cream before any injection so that I don't feel anything at all and even then my head seems to shake without my consent but the dentist is sympathetic and deals with me very well.
Ultimately you have to go to whoever you feel does the best for you. I hope you find someone suitable.

zsazsa Sun 03-Nov-19 10:08:44

I really feel for anyone with dental phobia as I have been there....After suffering from a sadistic dentist in my early teens I didn't go near a dentist until my twenties and then only with a friend holding my hand to have all my front teeth out!....
Over the years I have found that self-hypnosis (deep breathing and thinking of a calming beach scene or similar) has really helped me to lower my adrenalin levels and blood pressure. For many years I put up with pain rather than have injections, but now - with deep breathing - can manage both.
I go regularly to a hygienist and look after my mouth a lot better now than I used to, which means far less treatment is needed.
I hope you can try self-hypnosis/deep breathing methods whenever you think of dentists, and especially before phoning them or attending appointments. It really does work!

sazz1 Sat 02-Nov-19 23:31:43

Worst dentist I ever saw had a new trainee dental nurse with him whilest doing my filling. He started telling her phrases in different languages like 'je t'aime amore, liebling etc telling her it meant darling I love you etc. Touching her arm saying bella. She was going really red with embarrassment. He started drilling, she was on edge, the water filled my mouth and throat and I was drowning, as she wasn't concentrating on the suction tool. He stopped as I was choking say oh madam Oh madam. He was foriegn but that is irrelevant as he knew he had upset the nurse and this is what happened. Think it shook him up. Finished the filling ok. I never went back.