Gransnet forums

Health

TENS machine for Arthritis Pain

(8 Posts)
Sparklefizz Mon 11-Nov-19 09:22:44

Has anyone used a TENS machine for arthritis pain? Did you find it really helped, and which model would you recommend? Thanks.

Hetty58 Mon 11-Nov-19 09:39:59

I used one (a Kinetik) for a severe back injury and it helped a lot. I should think it would work for arthritis too as the brain is kept busy 'recognising' the pulses it creates, somehow cancelling out the underlying pain signals. I could vary it's intensity and halve my Codeine intake when using it. It's now been permanently 'borrowed' by my daughter - along with the electric heat pad I sometimes used!

Marydoll Mon 11-Nov-19 10:21:55

I use one for my rheumatoid arthritis pain and find it helps lessen the pain, especially in my shoulders and back.
The other thing I use is a heated shoulder cape (read about on GN) and it also gives some relief.

BradfordLass72 Mon 11-Nov-19 10:23:44

My experience is similar to Hetty's.
TENS or transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (try saying that with a mouthful of marshmallows!) is good for any pain. It sends signals to the brain which results sin teh release of the body's natural pain killers.

I used it after a motor accident which injured my back and as often happens, arthritis then crept into the site of the injury.

I put the pads at the site of the pain and turn on the machine, you can set a timer too, so it then sits it my pocket and I get on with my day.

Or I put it on at night and it switches itself off after an hour or so.

After the accident, I could only crawl and the TENS got me walking again.

I'm told they use it for labour pains too. smile

Ashman Thu 28-Nov-19 13:36:03

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

blondenana Thu 28-Nov-19 13:52:15

I have used a tens machine and it is really good,i don't need it now,but i wouldn't part with it for anything it is marvellous
I also used it when i had really bad Sciatica
If you are having any hospital treament you can get one with no vat on it,
I can't remember now where i got mine from, but i sent for it,it cost about £20
I will try to find the address , can't promise as i might have thrown or lost the information
Boots and Lloyds sell them though
I wouldn't buy an expensive one as they are all basically the same

SirChenjin Thu 28-Nov-19 14:47:27

I used one with all three of my labours - absolutely marvellous they were, and I’m sure they’ll work with arthritis pain as it reduces the pain signals and increases your endorphins in some magical way. It takes a bit of getting used to, so start off with it on the lowest setting and then adjust upwards as and when you need to otherwise you’ll shoot through the roof. Might be worth giving it a try?

Franbern Thu 28-Nov-19 16:43:42

Iused to use a TENS machine when I had lower back pain, when I was still working (as a gymnastic coach!!). Absolutely excellent, still have the machine, although do not use it much now.
Cannot say it totally got rid of the pain, but did enough to permit to operate more or less as normal. Only thing I discovered is not to have it on when I was driving, as if I accidently turned it up, it would make me jump very much. Apart from that would keep it on most of the day.
When I had a fall earlier this year resulting in a spinal stress fracture, could not use the TENS machine as would not able to move enough to get it into place. However, I did use a large heated pad which was marvellous and went everywhere with me those first few months. Even plugged it into my seat on the train when coming to visit my daughter in WestonSMare.