Gransnet forums

Health

Endoscopy

(19 Posts)
BlueSky Sun 17-Nov-19 10:15:32

I might be needing an endoscopy, would you recommend sedation as well as throat spray and can you choose? I'd like to know other people's experiences. Thanks.

Joyfulnanna Sun 17-Nov-19 10:20:43

Yes sedation.

midgey Sun 17-Nov-19 10:22:52

There has been a thread about this before, I don’t know how to search- sorry!
You can choose whether you want sedation or spray but the whole thing doesn’t take very long and while you wouldn’t queue to have one every day it’s all perfectly manageable! Sedation means someone to drive you and so on.

rafichagran Sun 17-Nov-19 10:50:17

I have had two, both with throat spray, it did not take long. It was uncomfortable but not unbearable and I drive home afterwards and got on with my day.
If you are very nervous maybe go for sedation.

Fiachna50 Sun 17-Nov-19 11:32:10

Sedation definitely, but Im a terribly anxious person anyway. If you can have this and throat spray take both. Don't worry, I didn't find it as bad as I thought it would be.

f77ms Sun 17-Nov-19 16:45:50

Sedation if you can find some one to drive you home. Mine didn't go well with the spray. Sedation is very light and makes the whole thing easy.

BlueBelle Sun 17-Nov-19 16:48:43

Sedation definitely
First one I had without and it was a nightmare I would never do it without again second I had a sedation and it was fine

Oopsminty Sun 17-Nov-19 16:52:36

A friend of mine warned me against having it without sedation. She had one and it was horrendous apparently

But I've heard many other people cope just fine

You can choose. I had sedation and knew nothing about any of it

Atqui Sun 17-Nov-19 16:53:55

I’ve had one of each and would never do it again without sedation .I think it depends if you are the sort of person who panics, which I am. My husband had it without sedation and said it was fine.

Fennel Sun 17-Nov-19 17:06:57

As others have said, depends how anxious you are.
I had it without sedation, but gripped the nurse's hand very hard! You can watch on the monitor.
It's all over much quicker.
Husband also had it without sedation.

GrannyLaine Sun 17-Nov-19 17:18:53

BlueSky, I had Endoscopy and Colonoscopy together a couple of years back. I wasn't at all anxious and thought I was well prepared for the procedure. I actually found the bowel prep in the 24 hours beforehand pretty horrendous and spent the early hours on the day of the procedure on my hands and knees being sick. Not a great start! The nurse who clerked me in on the day said that was pretty common..... who knew?? I opted for just the throat spray. I'm a retired Midwife, pretty stoical, birthed all four of my babies with minimal pain relief, two of them at home. In short, if ever I should need another endoscopy it would have to be under general anaesthetic. It was hideous.

Oopsminty Sun 17-Nov-19 17:24:07

I should point out that I don't think the procedure is any quicker, with or without sedation.

I was awake soon after it was done. Cup of tea and a biscuit

All was well and I didn't feel remotely woozy

BlueSky Sun 17-Nov-19 17:42:29

Thank you all for your helpful input. GrannyLaine I think you have tipped the scale in favour of sedation. The experience of a stoical professional is plenty good enough for me!

GrannyLaine Sun 17-Nov-19 17:52:53

BlueSky, that's kind of you to say so. I should perhaps add that the experience of the person performing the procedure would make a difference and I think in hindsight, I perhaps had someone with not much training. But I wouldn't take any chances. Good luck and I hope the result is okay x

Curlywhirly Sun 17-Nov-19 17:55:49

I have had this procedure 3 times. Sedated for all 3; however the last one, although I was sedatated, I was aware of the whole procedure (obviously they didn't sedate me enough) I could feel the probe going down my windpipe and could hear everything the consultant and nurses were saying. The procedure wasn't pleasant, but was bearable, but I would still ask to be sedated.

Fennel Sun 17-Nov-19 20:04:08

ps when I said much quicker, we didn't have to recover from the sedation. So were out of there pdq.

GagaJo Sun 17-Nov-19 22:15:49

I'm a total wimp and had endoscopy with just spray. Couldn't have sedation because I had stuff on the rest of the day and needed to be able to drive.

It was fine. Not bad at all. Had a tube up my nose a few months later. That was much worse.

annep1 Sun 17-Nov-19 22:16:35

Most people I know who have had one say it's not a pleasant experience.. I had one a few years ago and as my BP went up with anxiety I was given a general anaesthetic. If I ever need another it will definitely be done under GA. If I had to I would pay rather than swallow a huge tube. I find it difficult enough swallowing a small pill. Anaesthetic was great. I didn't feel a thing and my throat was just mildly sore afterwards.

harrigran Sun 17-Nov-19 22:33:51

I have had seven endoscopic procedures and even with sedation they were not pleasant. Slightly better ones were done privately, the NHS has reduced the dosage so much that it barely knocks the edges off.