Gransnet forums

Health

Severe Allergic reaction to heat

(8 Posts)
jeanie99 Sun 17-Nov-19 19:23:33

When I was in my late teens I had a very severe reaction to what the GP said must be heat.
He had never seen anything before like it, the rash only appeared under my clothes. My whole body was covered in this mass of red sores.
I was overseas at the time with warm weather and put it down to that.
Over the years I found on holiday swimming in the sea and in pools kept this under control.
I've not had any type of heat problem for many years and almost forgot all about it BUT
We are away at the moment and I have had a severe allergic reaction.
Had to go to A&E had an injection, was put on medication and a cream for the intensive itching. Took 8 days to get over this. Doc also put me on a diet of food to avoid because he wasn't sure what the cause was.
As anyone else suffered from this and is there an answer.

I was thinking of asking my GP when I get back home for an allergy test but wasn't sure whether anything like heat could possibly show up as an allergy.
This is not prickly heat, mine starts as a rash but then becomes a swollen mass.

SueDonim Sun 17-Nov-19 20:25:24

I've not known anything as extreme but my dil had similar issues with allergic reactions to heat. After many months they discovered she had an overactive thyroid gland. She was treated for that and the reaction went away.

I'd get your thyroid checked because it can, albeit rarely, be life threatening.

notanan2 Sun 17-Nov-19 20:32:54

My DD was having allergic reactions ONLY when we were on holiday

It wasnt until it happened at a cafe near home and then at a friends house that we realised the common denominator and trigger was drinking from glassed that had dishwasher tablet residue on them.

We did not have a dishwasher at home at the time.

She did grow out of it but at the time needed urgent medical treatment

Point is, trying to work out allergens by yourself is like shooting in the dark. So many variables. Push for professional assistance to work it out

grannyactivist Sun 17-Nov-19 21:42:35

It sounds like an extreme case of urticaria, which I once suffered from. Mine took seven weeks to recover from and was described as ‘idiopathic’ (no known cause), but I suspect it may have been a reaction to a washing detergent. At the time even the touch of a sheet on my skin caused me intense pain. Since then I get flare ups caused by heat, or by goodness knows what, but it often occurs when I’m run down following an illness.

M0nica Sun 17-Nov-19 22:32:44

As a child I lived in the Far East and I can remember quite a lot of children and some adults suffered from what was generally described as 'prickley heat'. A rash of little spots anywhere on the body.

Here is the NHS link to it www.nhs.uk/conditions/heat-rash-prickly-heat/

Grandma2213 Sun 17-Nov-19 22:55:23

In my late teens, early twenties I would come up in big itchy lumps when I went out in the sun, not what I would call a rash. The GP then said it was solar dermatitis. It would gradually disappear the more I was in the sun and got a slight tan but it was horrible while it lasted.

The next time I came up in similar lumps I was diagnosed with scabies. The treatment did not work and they would appear intermittently for no apparent reason. I did not use any perfumed products and experimented by cutting out various food and drinks one by one. No links were made. The only helpful medication was sleeping tablets which at least allowed me to rest by knocking me out at night.

The last time I suffered was when I was pregnant. I remember getting up in the night and sitting in a cold water bath to ease the itching. It would more commonly appear at night and disappear the next day (though not always). They would be big red lumps but would go white when my skin was cold. The itching was unbearable.

Luckily it has now gone though over the years I have suffered various auto immune disorders, currently a form of alopecia. I still have no idea what caused the hives, as one doctor called them.

jeanie99 Mon 18-Nov-19 18:32:13

grannyactivist
I've just seen a photo of urticaria and that looks very much like what I had.
It said the treatment was cortasone and antihistomine tablets.
I was given an injection of cortasone and anthistomine medication.
We are back home this Saturday so hopefully I will get to see the GP next week and get something sorted out.
Thank you everyone for your comments much appreciated.

Hetty58 Mon 18-Nov-19 18:38:56

It sounds like my reactions to some plants. Thankfully, they are rare but I take my epi-pen and antihistamines everywhere, along with my own pillow cases.