Gransnet forums

Health

Accentuate the Positive

(39 Posts)
Rufus2 Tue 19-Nov-19 12:32:24

No! I'm not advocating elimination of the negatives! hmm Only interested in "Blood Groups" I'm "B Positive", one of 8% of all groups apparently. Would any one be interested in joining in a cohort to provide an insight into the distribution of groups throughout Britain? No personal ID would be involved, any more than listing Age and Weight.
Or does this info. already exist somewhere?
Cheers

henetha Sat 23-Nov-19 10:44:19

O negative. But I'm not allowed to give blood any more.

MawB Sat 23-Nov-19 09:25:59

As Paw was A- like me, our daughters are all A- and I have never asked about the SILs. Either SIL1 must be neg too as they have three children or DD had the jab .
Looking back, I believe my mum had a late miscarriage when I was small, but everybody hush-hushed it , never mentioning what had happened, so with hindsight I do wonder if my Dad was +
I am not usually so vague about anything medical, but because it was never an issue for me, I had never given it a thought. I was barred from being a blood donor in later life though as I had had transfusions after all my C sections - prior to the stricter screening which came in after HIV . I suppose I could have worried about that too ?

Granny23 Sat 23-Nov-19 08:58:31

I'm O-, DH is A+ as are both DDs. First DD was fine, and I had the jab, then had a latish miscarriage (a boy) but no jab. When DD2 was born she was really yellow and jaundiced, in intensive care for 5 days, First they blamed the Rhesus factor but after loads of blood tests came to the conclusion that the culprit was a rare factor found in Group A which had only been identified in the last few months. Cue visits, even when we were home, by researchers, to take samples of blood from both baby and me.

It is not much fun being a rarity. I was told that should I have another pregnancy, I was not to worry as they would change the Baby's blood in utero (that is why we stopped at 2) but also that I must never be a blood donor because of the antibodies I carried which could kill someone (a plot for a murder mystery perhaps?).

All this, just to point out that there is more to blood groups than the ABO and Rhesus factors.

dragonfly46 Sat 23-Nov-19 08:03:47

I donated blood after discovering I was O negative every 3 months until my cancer diagnosis.

Rufus2 Sat 23-Nov-19 07:55:00

suggest you have a DNA test then
Yehbut; Thanks! "I can see where you are coming from", to use a modern cliche, but there's not much point seeing as how my conception occurred about Christmas 1927 between that rogue Royal and presumably a young Royal Bedchamber maid. shock
DNA testing didn't arrive until about 1987, so unless a uni student has acquired a piece of a likely Royal for her post-grad medical studies, it will prove nothing!
Alternatively, it could trace me back to George III and that would make me even madder! grin
OoRoo

grannyticktock Fri 22-Nov-19 15:36:06

Although my B group is quite rare, I gave up on becoming a donor, because I tried twice and kept passing out at the test stage. My husband was B as well, and so our two daughters are also B. When my husbnad was in the final stages of cancer treatment, he needed several transfusions to keep him going a bit longer, which prompted both our daughters to go off and become donors.

shysal Fri 22-Nov-19 11:02:27

Another B+ here. When my A+ ex-husband and I had our children, we worked out that they could be any ABO and Rhesus blood group, as we both had an O+ parent with a recessive negative gene for rhesus.

Yehbutnobut Fri 22-Nov-19 10:43:00

Rufus suggest you have a DNA test then ?

Yehbutnobut Fri 22-Nov-19 10:40:53

My son is O negative and is always being called up as this blood group is the Universal Doner and can be given to anyone.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 22-Nov-19 10:39:52

I'm A positive.

Yehbutnobut Fri 22-Nov-19 10:37:25

B negative

Rufus2 Fri 22-Nov-19 10:33:45

AB positive, but I always felt I was special
Annsixty; Me too, even though I'm only B+ !
Ever since I was a kid I've believed I am an illegitimate son of a Royal, and placed with a working-class family in Ardwick Manchester with some "hush money".
My parents (deceased) must have been incredibly loyal because none of this has ever appeared in the media!: so I've had no opportunity to join the Royal household and order that new bike I so desparately wanted back then! sad
Seeing that several GNetters appear to be privy to conversations within the Royal family, I wonder if they have knowledge of Royal blood groups (red, not blue) so that I can put my mind to rest, once and for all! grin
Thank you.

Riverwalk Wed 20-Nov-19 15:13:31

Another O Positive here - I'd say we're Alpha not common!

annsixty Wed 20-Nov-19 14:53:54

AB positive, but I always felt I was special??

Callistemon Wed 20-Nov-19 13:52:55

Yes, several of our family.
Donors with rare groups can be called in in emergencies too.

GabriellaG54 Wed 20-Nov-19 12:12:40

How many of the rarer groups donate?

nonnasusie Wed 20-Nov-19 12:08:40

I'm A negative. My late DH was O positive. I had to have a vaccination after having DD in case any subsequent children developed antibodies. DS was ok apart from being a little jaundiced when born! Stopped at 2, one of each!!?

Rufus2 Wed 20-Nov-19 11:34:18

I am B +. My family are Scots as far back as anyone can trace them

Oh no! ; not Scottish ancestors! shock? At least I'm now living amongst Asians!
Thank you all for your comments. I've more than a passing interest in this topic; our 2 boys were born in 1957 and 1959 respectively when knowledge of incompatible blood groups was only just emerging. Vera was O- and me B+, but we knew nothing of what lay ahead. Neil No1 was OK apart from a severe allergy to dairy (cow's milk) and peanuts, but that's another story. Ian No2 almost died in the womb, motionless at 8 months and was closely monitored to a natural birth. He was immediately rushed away, strapped to a little cross and transfused, a very small amount of "bad" blood removed then the same amount of donor blood returned. Scary times!
Neil being No1 was clear of antibodies, but Ian copped the lot which would continue to remain with Vera and so we were advised that any No3 would have no chance of survival; so, no No3.
It's marvellous what progress and understanding of this subject has occurred since; e.g. transfusions actually in the womb.
Both "boys" are now strapping 6-footers, 62 and 60y.o., but not best pleased at being eligible for the "Senior's Menu"! grin

grannyticktock Tue 19-Nov-19 20:45:52

I am B +. My family are Scots as far back as anyone can trace them, but B is much more characteristic of Asia than of western Europe. If you look in Wikipedia for "Blood group type distribution by country" you can see stats and maps.

The positive/negative rating relates to a different form of grouping (Rhesus) and doesn't really connect with the ABO system, any more than you would say, "I'm a red-haired Capricorn". Rh negative blood is inherited by is a recessive gene, so it's always rarer. My Dad was negative, and gave gallons of blood as a donor over many years, knowing it was in limited supply.

Doodledog Tue 19-Nov-19 20:30:23

I am O Negative.

Farmor15 Tue 19-Nov-19 20:25:45

O+. Very boring. But interestingly frequency of different blood groups varies considerably between countries. In India, B+ is the most common compared with 8% in UK.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_distribution_by_country

Juno56 Tue 19-Nov-19 20:04:47

A positive, one of the common ones.

Fennel Tue 19-Nov-19 19:10:43

ps this song is a good lesson for forum members:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qk9o_ZeR7s

Cherrytree59 Tue 19-Nov-19 19:08:55

O neg

grannyactivist Tue 19-Nov-19 19:08:15

B+ here.