Gransnet forums

Health

what calms you

(120 Posts)
Fennel Wed 20-Nov-19 19:03:28

In these stressful times (but nowhere as stressful as when I was a child) how do you cope with stress?
Most of the worry I have comes from close family. And their ability to cope financially.
I listen to classical music. Used to go walking, but can't do it now.

giulia Mon 20-Apr-20 07:49:06

Chatting with my longtime good friends on the phone.

Crochet is wonderfully soothing.

Cross stitch using fabric with large holes: am currently cross stitching perfume sachets with hessian. So easy.

EllieGoddard Mon 20-Apr-20 05:27:23

Music. I usually listen to classical music, but nowadays, gong baths are becoming more popular. It’s like music therapy. My family and I go to this provider of sound bath meditation London sessions to relieve stress. It’s really calming and it improves my sleep at night. If I don’t have time to book a session, I listen to gong sounds on YouTube.

Fennel Thu 28-Nov-19 19:27:20

Cheering news from tomorrow
-https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/gb/newcastle-upon-tyne/54.98,-1.61

Gonegirl Thu 28-Nov-19 17:56:48

I don't know but I often need some after coming on GN.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 28-Nov-19 17:47:08

Yes chats with friends is good.
But if I’m on my own I take my mind or body (if I’m there) to the Cornish cliffs and watch the sea.

I love trees and walking in woods is a delight.

Fennel Thu 28-Nov-19 17:40:32

Talking to friends is my favourite.
Most of my life, moving from place to place, I''ve had a 'best friend' who I could confide in and who shared some of my worries. And she shared hers with me.
Now I keep in touch with my last BF on the phone. We had a nice chat yesterday, so feeling better.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 28-Nov-19 14:38:40

I am so sorry for those who are suffering excessive anxiety for whatever reason, and sometimes it is completely out of our control. There is no doubt that much of our temperament is inherited, and it isn't a moral judgement about who copes best.

I am unfortunately a worrier, like my mother, but over the years have found ways of managing it, so that my life is bearable, and sometimes even happy smile

Walking, talking to friends, Buddhist meditation helps. I'm not one, but there is a great App called Buddify which is helpful.

DS64till Thu 28-Nov-19 13:52:50

I understand where you are coming from. I have long term chronic illness which is exacerbated by stress. All 3 of my children suffer depression to various degrees and 2 of them tend to use me as a sounding block which overloads me . I have sound blocking headphones and the Readly app and I tend to shut myself away for a while to deal with it

Daisyboots Thu 28-Nov-19 00:18:57

I do find it hard to beliece that some people have never been affecred by any kind of stress.
I can usually sort out stress but last week I had the most horrendous day at the cancer hospital that I almost had a panic attack. Something very new to me. When I saw my oncologist on Thursday he thought I should take some medication to cope with the anxiety of the next few weeks. I am most grateful for it and will take it.

billericaylady Mon 25-Nov-19 07:00:05

Hello there.
If I'm stressed at the weekend I'll curl up on the sofa with My Mummy blanket and tuck My head under it.
smile and go to sleep.I like making bags , bunting and dresses too.I have recently started My family tree ...that definitely takes My mind off things as the time flys ...
I think it very much depends on why you are stressed ...having debt ,mentally ill family, abusive partners ,childhood trauma(just a few examples ) isnt easy to forget ....

Nanna58 Sun 24-Nov-19 22:25:50

Bhuddist chanting, I’m not a Bhuddist but heard it and found that actually chanting myself really helps block out the infernal ‘ chatter’ in my brain long enough to relax me.

Maggiemaybe Sun 24-Nov-19 08:21:11

Reported.

Jeff1 Sun 24-Nov-19 04:26:43

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Grandma2213 Sun 24-Nov-19 02:56:54

Like most people the cause of stress for me is family. Also like many, walking helps especially when I can touch a tree, spot a wild animal or bird or look at the amazing skies and cloud patterns we have, especially sunsets. Looking at the stars and the vastness of the universe puts things into perspective and of course listening to music. My weekly choir session doesn't exactly calm me but has me buzzing and feeling so much better.

Ginny42 Sun 24-Nov-19 02:21:39

Music, especially Mozart, alters my mood. Chatting with a friend; walking in the woods, are all calming. I always have Rescue Remedy handy, especially on flights. Acupuncture for extreme stress. Lavender on the pillow or massaged along the hairline. Remember the breathing exercise during labour? That too, especially at the dentist.

Mostly getting busy calms me. Having something to do.

Evie64 Sun 24-Nov-19 01:16:44

Breathing exercises and reading does it for me. Can't beat a good thriller to "take you away". I love my Kindle.

SirChenjin Sat 23-Nov-19 23:53:42

Sounds like an amazing night jura smile

Funnygran Sat 23-Nov-19 23:46:45

A good book and a glass of wine does it for me. Or if the sun’s out a walk with my little dog.

willa45 Sat 23-Nov-19 22:26:52

Crochet, likewise! For some reason I seem to forget all my troubles while I'm crocheting.

Tigertooth Sat 23-Nov-19 21:06:35

I do love an anxiety talk-down - lots free on you tube to listen to. Also re-Reading well loved comfort books and watching things like Frasier.

jura2 Sat 23-Nov-19 20:43:21

SirC ''But jura - if you stay off GN how will you keep up to date with Brexit? '' I said for a while- and a while is like the proverbial piece of string, no?

The caves were amazing, and the thibetan bowls and Chinese Crystal bowls were just so so soothing in that setting. Went for a nice meal in France on way home. Perfect.

Jennyluck Sat 23-Nov-19 20:39:06

A bit of time to myself, just to think things through. With some of my favourite music.

Baggs Sat 23-Nov-19 19:42:23

Working outside in my wild garden, the smell of earth and vegetation, looking at the horizon.

Noreen3 Sat 23-Nov-19 19:27:37

I find meditation helps,there's plenty on You Tube

Sussexborn Sat 23-Nov-19 19:25:10

Relaxation/hypnotherapy tapes, all kinds of lavender, reading, watching some tv programmes. In the summer I have a rocking lie back garden chair which is bliss until a dog starts barking or a petrol mower start thrumming. Check up looming but mentally push the stress away for now.