Gransnet forums

Health

Cataracts and long sight

(15 Posts)
Redlorakeet Fri 22-Nov-19 12:04:52

I went for my 2 yearly eye check and the optician said i had the start of a cataract in my right eye. My driving vision is not good either. I am very long sighted, + 7 in one eye and +6.5 in the other.
I was referred by him and have a consultant appointment in January.

What i would like to know is could people comment on the success of someone with long sight? I have read a lot from people who are short sighted which is not the same.

I dont even mind if i have to still wear specs as long as i can still drive.

tanith Fri 22-Nov-19 12:17:18

I’ve had the start of cataracts for the last 4 yrs but my optician has said no need to do anything so far. He told me I needed glasses to drive this year which I now have and use without problems. Do you know why he has referred you?

jaylucy Fri 22-Nov-19 12:17:27

The idea with replacing the lenses with cataracts with the replacement lenses is to try and bring your vision back to as if you don't have a prescription and don't need glasses.
Being longsighted means that because of the shape of your lens, without specs, the light is refracted beyond the back of your eye , shortsighted is the light is refracted short of the back of the eye.
One of my work colleagues who was long sighted had his cataracts removed successfully and he was really pleased.
Wearing specs for reading after 40 is caused more by the muscles surrounding the lens that makes you focus,not being able to do their job as well as they used to so you may still need specs for reading !

Redlorakeet Fri 22-Nov-19 13:00:23

I have worn specs since 5 yrs old so have had bad sight since then.

watermeadow Sat 23-Nov-19 18:38:44

I’m long-sighted and also have a lazy eye with little sight. It’s never bothered me but now I have cataracts and dry eyes and much of the time my eyes are blurred and uncomfortable.
I can’t wait to have my cataracts removed even though there is a slight chance that any mishap would leave me almost blind. It’s got to be done eventually and I’m fed up of my present problems.

phoenix Sat 23-Nov-19 18:43:01

Had cataract surgery in September, my distance vision is much improved!

M0nica Sat 23-Nov-19 19:16:34

I am/was very short-sighted, and when my cataracts were treated they fitted lens made up to my shortsighted prescription, as a result I nowonly wear glasses for driving.

If they can do that for short sight, they can presumably do it for long sight, just fit prescription lenses that match your long sighted prescription.

phoenix Sat 23-Nov-19 19:33:57

Just to add, if having cataract surgery on the NHS, you cannot choose the type of lenses that are inserted.

bingo12 Sat 23-Nov-19 21:23:40

If you have the op. on NHS they generally give you long distance lenses as that is what most people need. It means afterwards one cannot read print close up or see any other thing near to eyes - without glasses.
You need to discuss what you think you need when you have hospital appointments before op. If you have glaucoma they do both that op. with cataract together (even if cataracts are not too bad) because the cataract op. alone makes glaucoma worse.

JohnRNIB Thu 05-Dec-19 09:51:00

I had a quick word with our Eye Health Information Service (EHIS), and this is what they said:

"The consultant will order an assessment of the axial length of the eye and the shape of the cornea to determine the power of the new lens. They won’t guarantee the result is spectacle free for the distance but most people require specs for close work and sometimes the distance too.

"Hopefully the surgery will significantly reduce his prescription. The long- sight does not determine the success of the surgery (in fact the retinal complications may be a lower risk). However any blurring that is not caused by cataract will not be corrected by surgery – so for instance if the left eye is amblyopic (lazy) then it won’t be improved by surgery (he mentions that only the right eye has been diagnosed with cataract so I am guessing the left eye might be amblyopic otherwise it wouldn’t be causing him any symptoms yet).

"Our cataract booklet goes through the procedure so signposting to that would be good. Also recommending that he takes a list of questions with him to the consultant to discuss his specific risk factors would be a good idea."

If you'd like to talk to someone independently, the EHIS is can be contacted through our Helpline on 0303 123 9999 (open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, and Saturday 9am to 1pm).

Gonegirl Thu 05-Dec-19 09:55:14

My optician told me I have "little" cataracts, but no need to worry. Of course, I now worry. hmm

JohnRNIB Thu 05-Dec-19 10:51:40

@GoneGirl same here - I've been told I have cataracts starting in both eyes (along with diabetic eye disease!). It is a very routine operation though (even though, as we always say, no surgery is ever risk-free), so I'd be confident that when both of us get around to getting them sorted, we'll be fine!

Redlorakeet Sat 07-Dec-19 07:04:02

Thanks everyone for your responses. My appointment is not until January so I will report back then. I am just trying to get as much info as possible beforehand.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 07-Dec-19 07:14:54

I had cataracts in both done when I was 54 & 55 under the NHS. I have had very dry eyes since an early age and have plugs in the drains (think thats what they are called) to stop any moisture draining away. The operation was a wonderful success with long distance lens being put in.

They are still going well at 72 but I have been told I will need a bit of laser treatment at some point. So don't be put off.

GrandmaMoira Sat 07-Dec-19 11:51:55

I have early cataracts, diagnosed in March. They have not affected my sight much but the glare they cause has caused me frequent migraines, having had no migraines for several years previously. Does anyone else have glare problems?