Gransnet forums

Health

More safety than health, but this is nearest topic

(7 Posts)
Elegran Fri 22-Nov-19 13:10:52

In Canada, a domestic abuse victim managed to alert the emergency services by pretending to order a pizza. www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50513706
They dialled 911 and spoke about the order. When the person at the end of the line twigged what was happening, he asked questions, which she answered with "yes" or "no" as though it was about the pizza.

^ What can people in the UK do? ^

People who need to make a discreet call to 999 - the UK's emergency services number - can do so using the British police's "silent solution" system.

A 999 caller can remain silent if they are unable to speak. Then, when prompted, should key in the number 55 to silently inform officers that they are experiencing a genuine emergency.

If the situation is violent, callers can also call 999 and leave the phone off the hook so that operators can hear what is going on. In most cases, dispatchers will be able to trace the location of the incident from the call itself.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Nov-19 13:48:17

Oh god, even reading this sends shivers down my spine. And to think Elegran that some poor souls may be grateful for this information. Some of us have no idea how others suffer
(Thankfully).

? to anyone appreciative of this post.

Elegran Fri 22-Nov-19 13:53:46

It would also work if you were experiencing a heart attack or something similar and were unable to speak.

boodymum67 Fri 22-Nov-19 13:56:00

thank you for sharing this info......it will help some I hope

Floradora9 Fri 22-Nov-19 16:50:30

fullfact.org/online/dialling-55-doesnt-track-location/

dragonfly46 Fri 22-Nov-19 17:06:46

If you dial 112 from a mobile instead of 999 you can be tracked.

Elegran Fri 22-Nov-19 18:58:50

Thank you, Floradora, for that link about dialling 55 not necessarily enabling the police to trace a call, particularly from a mobile. I think what we can take from that page is that it is important to get information through somehow. If you can let them know where you are and what is wrong, it will help them find you and be prepared with the help you need.