Gransnet forums

Health

Today at the doctor's ...

(57 Posts)
jura2 Fri 29-Nov-19 12:39:59

I asked her how SHE was - and she was quite moved. Should do it more often with all care people.

BlueSky Sun 01-Dec-19 12:26:43

Greeneyedgirl I didn't say anything apart from good afternoon....I even became a bit concerned as she was giving me the results of some tests...confused

Greeneyedgirl Sun 01-Dec-19 11:42:53

Goodness shock BlueSky what did you say to her?

eebeew Sun 01-Dec-19 07:46:17

In NZ we are very fortunate in that we can get an appt. the same day or a few days if it’s not urgent, at least in my experience. You get 15 mins officially but often longer. But it costs £40. Maybe that’s why it’s not so booked out! I never thought of asking how they are.

Maremia Sat 30-Nov-19 20:49:53

EllaKeat, sorry to hear your news. Hope you get the very best of care, and good healing wishes to you.

Candelle Sat 30-Nov-19 20:32:45

Nothatoldyet9, I am pleased that I am not you! Apart from the fact that yes, of course doctors are paid (although if you were to average out a conscientious GP's salary including all the extra hours of work, including many evenings and weekends, it amounts to little more than the average wage), I am taken aback by your general sour attitude.

Perhaps you may be unwell at the moment or have had a recent bad experience but surely everyone is worthy of a polite enquiry as to their well-being?

It costs nothing, takes but a moment and can help make the wheels of society go round.

Try being interested in others and it may pay dividends for you.

EllaKeat, what rotten luck for you. I hope your treatment goes well. Sending hugs.

Callistemon Sat 30-Nov-19 20:18:11

I am allocated a GP but it is hit and miss if we see our GP

We have to wait 5-6 weeks to see any GP if it is non-urgent.

daffers Sat 30-Nov-19 18:22:48

Best card I had last year whilst in hospital having hip replacement was from a friend. On the envelope she wrote "Thank you nurses for looking after my friend."

Nanna58 Sat 30-Nov-19 17:43:51

Will probably never get to ask my consultant how he is as my operation was put back for a 3rd time by post today!!!?

absthame Sat 30-Nov-19 17:41:19

I believe that Hunt's reorganisation introducing CCGs etc replaced some managers and administrators with much of the GPs' time is largely responsible for our GP woes. I think this is borne out with the rapid increase in GP waiting times following the changes. In its turn, the increased waiting times have caused patients to be shunted to the emergency services including A&E.

In truth the only effective solution must include removing the CCGs, reducing the resultant pressures on GPs, to increase the level of investment in the NHS and into the care sectors, but Johnson and his idiotic cabinet are only offering a fig leaf, it's not even a sticking plaster.

QuaintIrene Sat 30-Nov-19 17:37:18

I see the same Doctor. But that’s because there are always appointments available with him. Apparently he makes Doc Martin look like a fluffy bunny but I like him. He does the job and I hate going to the surgery. Miles away. 2 buses each way when crying with sciatica is no fun.
He isn’t the type for chats. You would have to see his wife who is very popular for that I think.

notanan2 Sat 30-Nov-19 17:30:16

I'm amazed that many of you mention "your GP". Do you manage to see the same one each time?

If mine isnt the next available appointment they ask if we want to wait to see him or see someone else sooner.

I know and like them all. Sometimes I specify the lady doctor

BlueSky Sat 30-Nov-19 17:20:39

Yes we can only mention one ailment at the time. Once I did manage to mention a second one because I thought it was related.

Kryptonite Sat 30-Nov-19 17:02:07

I see a different doctor each time. I once asked our nominated doctor if he was ok (he had the most dreadful cold), but he was not very gracious. Recently, I took pity on a doctor because he told me he'd had a long day. He did look tired and so I decided to cut my list short. I should count myself lucky that I was able to discuss several different things. At my mother's surgery, you are only allowed to bring one ailment per visit; there is even a sign on the wall about this!

BlueSky Sat 30-Nov-19 16:59:57

Callistemon no we don't see the same GP but you could see a doctor of your choice if you are willing/able to wait for the appointment and don't mind which of the two surgeries.

Gonegirl Sat 30-Nov-19 16:59:30

Notthatoldyet I love your post. grin

You sound grumpier than me! Good on yer. smile x

Marjgran Sat 30-Nov-19 16:49:59

Notthatoldyet9 - my goodness. I am speechless...

BlueSky Sat 30-Nov-19 16:42:16

Last time I went to see my GP she rushed out crying! She came back in saying sorry but she had an awful day...shock

Greeneyedgirl Sat 30-Nov-19 16:21:21

EllaKeat So sorry to hear your news and hope that you will have successful treatment. Good that you had a thoughtful doctor who gave adequate time to you.

CBBL Sat 30-Nov-19 16:20:02

We rarely get to see the same doctor at our GP Surgery. Often, any appointment you can get will be with a Nurse, or Nurse Practitioner. If you ask for an urgent GP appointment, you are asked to give the details to the receptionist, and if it cannot be dealt with by a nurse, a Doctor will ring you back to discuss the problem (but you do have to wait for the rest of the day, and sometimes even fairly well into the evening for the call). We do understand how busy doctor's are, and also know that "our" GP works 12 hours in the surgery at least one day per week (Thursday).

Luckygirl Sat 30-Nov-19 16:13:03

EllaKeat - I am sorry that it was not good news for you - but so good that this young man gave you the time that you needed. flowers

Callistemon Sat 30-Nov-19 15:57:33

EllaKeat so sorry to hear that; it is good that you have a caring doctor. All good wishes
flowers

Callistemon Sat 30-Nov-19 15:56:21

I only have experience of emergency services and the A&E at Weston but both were excellent - thank goodness they got me there before 10 pm!

EllaKeat Sat 30-Nov-19 15:30:16

Today at the doctors, I was told my cancer was back.

My lovely doctor gave 20 minutes of his time to me, God knows what time he got finished. He is young and idealistic. Long may it last, I honestly hope he does not get overburdened.

dahlia Sat 30-Nov-19 15:21:45

I always ask my G.P., dentist, milkman, bus driver and anyone I meet how they are; staff anywhere are only human, and if you show a little bit of care, they usually appreciate it. And I am sincere, which helps! My dear Mum, passed away for 20 years, loved to chat, and found her chiropodist a challenge, as he was a grumpy chap. When she died and I 'phoned to cancel her appointment, said gent became tearful and said how much he would miss her - if only he had let her know before it was too late.

Sparklefizz Sat 30-Nov-19 14:46:13

I always thank medical staff and GPs after consultations, blood tests, scans, etc etc and I try to see the same GP each time, although that's often very hard and I have to wait a long time, but I have some very longstanding health problems and need continuity if at all possible, otherwise my 10 minute consultation is taken up with explaining my "back story".

I send the GP that I think of as "my GP" a Christmas card each year to thank him .... but I have to admit that I have never asked how any of them are.