Gransnet forums

Health

Norovirus / cold

(10 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 07-Dec-19 18:27:03

I seem to have some weird mash-up of the norovirus AND a cold. So diarhhea, vomiting, sinus headaches, pressure, cough, blocked nose/discharge.

Is this all one thing, or do I just have 2 bugs at once?

AND anything I can do to help myself? I have nasal decongestant spray and cold tablets but not a lot of help really.

Iam64 Sat 07-Dec-19 18:38:55

I'm coming to the end of week four of the cold sinus headaches, cough, blocked nose etc aspect, I was lucky to miss the D andV. I eventually went to see the prescribing nurse and as I'm on immuno suppressants, one side effect of which being sinus infection, I came out with a prescription for anti biotics. Day 3 and I feel human for the first time. I'd been steaming my noise, using a sinus wash etc etc to no effect. The anti biotics have me back to feeling human.
Don't soldier on for ever.

boheminan Sat 07-Dec-19 18:51:54

Hi GagaJo - I very recently asked a similar question on GN as I'm now coming up to week 2 of exhaustion, sleepless nights, coughing, etc, which have been explained as a cold virus by my doc. I fortunately haven't had the Norovirus aspect to add to the glory. General advice from other GN'rs going through the mill with it seems to be it can go on anything between 3-5+ weeks. I was told to drink plenty, and take paracetamols (which have not helped at all). My only advice, whilst riding the storm, is just to rest as much as possible and try and keep warm. I found it helped just knowing that I'm not on my own trying to fight off this particularly nasty bug....

GagaJo Sat 07-Dec-19 18:56:54

Thing that worries me the most is the time off work sick. I'm starting 2 new jobs next year. With more than a couple of days of sick leave, they might change their offers.

GrandmaJan Sat 07-Dec-19 19:10:05

GagaJo I really do feel for you. Any virus can be debilitating but 2 can knock the stuffing out of you as you’ve found out. I regularly take phone calls from patients in the surgery where I work part time and an increasing number not only have diarrhoea and vomiting but also coughs and snotty noses. It seems as though 2 viruses have merged into one. The only advice is rest, fluids and paracetamol or ibuprofen. The problem though is how long it lasts because with a virus you can think you’re getting better and then wham the next day you’re back to square one. You are starting new jobs next year. I’m sure you’ll be ok by then as long as you look after yourself and at least you’ll have some immunity. Take care flowers

GagaJo Sat 07-Dec-19 19:16:54

Exactly GrandmaJan! I was off work Wednesday, went back on Thursday, ill again since then.

notanan2 Sat 07-Dec-19 19:23:04

You are better off STAYING off work until youre well than taking odd days.

Weird I know but 2 weeks in a row off = one episode

3 single days = 3 episodes

My employer would see the latter as a bigger red flag even though it makes little sense. So dont rush back if youre off as you risk going off again in another "episode" for the same bug.

GagaJo Sat 07-Dec-19 19:26:20

I know, but it's SO frustrating. However, I'm a teacher and work / teach / do duties / have meetings non stop from 8.15am - 4 or 5pm Monday to Wednesday. There is NO way I can tough it out with the classes I have.

GrandmaJan Sat 07-Dec-19 19:38:49

The guidelines following norovirus are to not to return to work/school until 48 hours after you have no further symptoms. I honestly think you probably need more time particularly as you get older.

tiredoldwoman Sat 07-Dec-19 20:02:00

Yes, everyone seems to have it . I'm hardly ever ill but I've got the aches( even my eyes and teeth are aching ! ), pressure headache , nausea , cough and lots of nose blowing . I can't stop sleeping - nodding off as soon as I sit down but woken a lot during the night with the cough .
Feel like I've had a good kicking !