Gransnet forums

Health

Shingles

(21 Posts)
Llamedos13 Tue 10-Dec-19 19:01:44

Anyone out there with experience of the treating of shingles. My 37 year old daughter has just been diagnosed and the itch is driving her crazy. Apart from calomine, any suggestions to help her would be much appreciated. Thanks.

NotAGran55 Tue 10-Dec-19 19:30:15

I think my friend took Piriton .

Cherrytree59 Tue 10-Dec-19 19:31:43

Virasooth, normally used for chicken pox

I used ìt on both occasions when I suffered from shingles.
DD also used it when her sons were suffering from chicken pox

I hate calamine lotion as it is very drying.

MawB Tue 10-Dec-19 19:34:08

Also Pox lib.
As she has just been diagnosed I hope she has also been put on anti-virals. Can’t remember the name, but they were BIG!

MawB Tue 10-Dec-19 19:34:50

Flippin Eck
Poxclin

GrandmaJan Tue 10-Dec-19 19:37:56

Chamomile oil, witch hazel and cold compresses are recommended. Witch Hazel is probably the most effective. It’s a horrible virus. I presume your daughter is taking anti virals now which will hopefully shorten the length of time she has to suffer

Daddima Tue 10-Dec-19 19:39:49

Maw was it Zovirax? A friend ( a doctor) gave me some when I had it many moons ago, and my own GP said he wouldn’t have prescribed it, as the rash was already out, so it was too late. Amytriptyline was the only think which touched the pain.

ayse Tue 10-Dec-19 19:41:52

Anti-virals are a must. I was given amitriptyline together with an anti-viral. The antidepressant was to deaden the nerves to help reduce the itching and it worked. I only had a minor bout as things go but the pain was something else.

Hope she gets better soon

MawB Tue 10-Dec-19 20:14:39

Acyclovir Daddima - sudden flash of memory!

Llamedos13 Tue 10-Dec-19 21:05:31

Thank you everyone. The witch hazel was a big help, thanks to Grandmajan. No anti virals as her diagnosis came too late to be of any use.

jogginggirl Tue 10-Dec-19 23:13:19

My GP gave me amitriptyline - it was the only thing that worked for me!

Allegretto Tue 10-Dec-19 23:31:20

I’ve just stopped taking amitriptyline after 5 months. It really helps but made me a bit sleepy, which in itself is a blessing when you are coping with the itch. Shingles is horrible. I had it on my face and scalp. I found Aloe Vera gel soothing (kept it in fridge) and I got an Aloe Vera shampoo. I used my grandchildren’s soap as it is ph neutral.

welbeck Tue 10-Dec-19 23:49:04

a neighbour of mine had such severe pain from shingles, for months later that she was prescribed gabapentin for the nerve damage, but the pain persisted, may have been slightly less sharp than without. that was 5 yrs ago.
her health never really picked up, but she had underlying rheumatology disease, and is now bed-bound, having suffered 2 severe infections this year, including NF with large surgical excision and skin grafts.
I believe there is a vaccine against shingles, but usually only given to over 70s.
there is some connection to chicken pox, and I was interested to read that rarely some severe childhood cases of chicken pox can lead to NF.

Yorksherlass Wed 11-Dec-19 07:50:11

I was prescribed Emla cream which contains lidocaine, it did give some relief from the itching and I believe you can now buy it over the counter ( for pre tattoo numbing ) hope it helps
?

Allegretto Wed 11-Dec-19 08:32:07

I’ve remembered that my GP prescribed lidocaine, which turned out to be cream for vagina itch, and is available on the shelves in big pharmacies.

JenniferEccles Wed 11-Dec-19 15:46:33

Shingles is horrid so your daughter has my sympathy.

I have had it twice and have now had the vaccine which is only available for certain age groups from the NHS. I paid for mine at a pharmacy.

Llamedos13 Wed 11-Dec-19 19:01:14

We live in Canada and the vaccination is available at age 50. She has been advised by her dr. to get the vaccination a year after her symptoms disappear,apparently this will ward off a future attack.

GrannySomerset Thu 12-Dec-19 09:19:25

Worth paying for the vaccination (about £160) if you are not eligible because shingles can leave you never really well again. As carer for DH I can’t afford to be ill and it seemed an appropriate use of attendance allowance.

harrigran Thu 12-Dec-19 09:24:24

In my experience the itch of shingles is the least of your worries, I was extremely ill for a long time as the pain was excruciating.

blondenana Sun 15-Dec-19 23:07:17

I had shingles 2 year ago,it was not very pleasant, but the best thing i found to soothe the itch was virasoothe as mentioned earlier, it is mainly for use for children with chickenpox. but good for shingles
You can buy a gel or spray,i found the spray better as you don't have to touch the rash
The pain was bad,all round one side,and my side was numb for months after, but i am very annoyed that i could have had the vaccination,i didn't even know there was one
The pain was like kidney pain,more than anything it made me feel very tired
I did get antivirals just in time which has to be no longer than 72 hours after the rash comes out

Allegretto Sun 15-Dec-19 23:15:15

I am not yet a year post-shingles, so I can’t have the regular vaccination available in the U.K. I’ve been trying to access the new Shingrix vaccine, which is not a live vaccine and can be given as soon as the rash has gone. However, it appears that there is a worldwide shortage.