Gransnet forums

Health

See-Saw Blood Pressure?

(6 Posts)
gangy5 Sun 15-Dec-19 21:06:19

Have had awful problem with my BP. At first was prescribed a Beta blocker and then next an Ace inhibiter, Both these gave bad side effects - the worst being lethargy and making me feel older than I am. I gather that the aim of both of these is to slow you down. Do I really want this at the age of 76? I'm slowing down anyway due to age and certainly don't need the assistance of medication to assist this further. Am now on water pills - the lesser of many evils!!

BlueSky Sun 15-Dec-19 20:50:53

Hetty I seem to tolerate this trio OK while some other medication gave me horrible palpitations. Having said that I can relate to some of the other side effects but never connected them with the BP medication. Thanks everybody.

Hetty58 Sun 15-Dec-19 20:29:02

I've had the 24 hour monitor three times now, regular checks and a home machine too - but results all over the place.

Sometimes it's very high, sometimes too low. I was referred to a cardiologist and my heart is fine. Every single tablet I've tried has horrendous side effects and I wonder how anyone else can tolerate them.

It's been going on for five years now. I've had:

dizziness
blinding headaches/migraine
nausea and vomiting
acid reflux/indigestion
awful muscle pains
brain fog/confusion
weight gain
loss of appetite
extreme fatigue
painful feet
hacking cough
insommnia
weakness
peripheral neuropathy
oh, and depression due to the above!

Kalu Sun 15-Dec-19 20:08:01

DH and I were set up to FLO by our GP. We take our BP reading 1 x am and 1 x pm, text results off to our surgery where our GP can monitor our results.

This may be a service in your surgery too BlueSky if your GP has concerns and wants to keep an eye on your BP.

Doodle Sun 15-Dec-19 19:53:08

Ask your GP if you can have a 24 hour BP monitor check done. That should let you know if you have a problem.

BlueSky Sun 15-Dec-19 11:29:33

Back to my favourite health matter blood pressure! Mine finally came down to a good level after nearly a year on three tablets. Occasionally now wonder whether at some point during the day it drops perhaps too low? Now and again I feel nauseous and lightheaded, not sugar as it has been checked and it's on the normal range, or could it be just a stomach issue?