Gransnet forums

Health

Just be diagnosed with type 2 diabetic

(9 Posts)
SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 21:10:01

DH had T2 diabetes - he was on a clinical trial and a very reduced calorie diet. He no longer has diabetes which is brilliant. If they don’t want to take medication and they’re overweight then a strict calorie controlled diet which limits carbs is the way to go - the Diabetic Association will have good advice on that.

BBbevan Tue 17-Dec-19 19:15:15

I did Michael Mosley's Reverse your Diabetes in 8 weeks. Lost a lot of weight and my BS became normal. Now I eat low carb to keep it that way. GP has said no further action necessary for the last 5 years, after checkup. I have never taken medication

BradfordLass72 Tue 17-Dec-19 18:26:38

After the first shock, they may not have to make too many changes. Millions of people live with diabetes quite happily.

If tney've been asked to take Metformin, that supports the pancreas to produce insulin.

When I was diagnosed (at 63) I didn't need to change my diet at all.

They had wheat products on the list of things I could eat but I don't eat wheat unless absolutely necessary.
Apart from that, I was already on the "ideal diabetic diet" and had been for most of my adult life.

I was also very active in those days, because I still had my car: swimming 3-4 times a week as well as working .

I'm lucky to have no sweet tooth so I don't crave things, so my blood sugars have been well within the correct range since that time.

I eat a fairly normal, low-fat diet and although I can now only swim once a week (no car now) that hasn't affected my b.sugars.

Other diabetics I know have blood sugar spikes if they get stressed about something but remain stable if they eat chocolate.
It seems to be a very personal thing and you have to learn about your own body's reactions.

M0nica Tue 17-Dec-19 17:49:15

DH is still overweight, but his diabetes went into remission after going on the 5:2 diet for a coupleof months. Unfortunately he became ill just after doing it and over the six months of his illness, put back all the weight he had lost, but the diabetes has stayed in remission.

Neither of us has a sweet tooth, so our sugar conusmption is quite low and I rarely buy biscuits because even when we have them in, we rarely eat them.

KatyK Tue 17-Dec-19 17:21:40

My DH has type 2. He's never been overweight but has always loved sweet things. He's on medication and has cut out all cakes, biscuits, sweets etc apart from the odd treat. He buys sugar free sweets for when he's desperate! He has been given a kit to test his levels at home and it's always fine.

midgey Tue 17-Dec-19 17:18:20

Try googling Michael Moseley. He tried the diabetes fighting diet and succeeded. An interesting man.

wildswan16 Tue 17-Dec-19 17:13:53

The best place to look for help is www.diabetes.org.uk.

Look under Diabetes: the basics.

It is often possible to reverse type II, by eating more healthily, losing weight and exercising. Clearly in your case the doctors have said he must start medication, advice which he should follow - but that does not mean it has to be permanent. Many people have successfully reversed their diagnosis with a change of lifestyle.

tanith Tue 17-Dec-19 16:45:49

I’ve made good progress with getting blood sugar almost back to within normal range simply by losing weight. It wasn’t easy and if I could just lose another half stone and could come off the meds.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 17-Dec-19 16:01:00

Close member of family just been diagnosed with type two today, anyone on here have this, can you recommend any books . Etc, it seems a bit of a minefield, they didn’t want to start on meds but were told yes have to, as blood sugar very high, wanted to start to control with diet,