Gransnet forums

Health

Spatone

(16 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 23-Dec-19 11:57:23

I have been found to be iron deficient and I am to be put on iron. DD says take Spatone as it has fewer side effects - e.g. constipation. Anyone tried this?

It does not seem to give you any idea how much iron there is in each dose.

Doc wants to start poking around with cameras in case my anti-coagulant is causing any bleeds - I would have thought a poo test could have done that.

Shrub Mon 23-Dec-19 12:15:00

“Spa tone is simply 100% natural iron-rich water straight from the source “

So the actual iron amount will probably vary but probably not very high. I would think it could do no harm.

I’ve not used it regularly but would advise you to add it to some squash or fruit juice. It doesn’t taste very nice.

wildswan16 Mon 23-Dec-19 12:44:00

I think it would depend on how low your iron level is. Also, until you know why your iron is low you need to be careful about taking anything that may cause that to get worse (e.g. if you had a stomach ulcer or something).

So check with your GP that it doesn't interact with any other medications you may be on.

notanan2 Mon 23-Dec-19 13:29:23

Spatone is very easy on the tum but it is not a clinical dose.

Its great if you want a bit of a boost, but if you are clinically iron deficient you need the strong stuff. Just take a stool softener with it and lots of water

Iam64 Mon 23-Dec-19 13:32:42

Iron deficiency won't have helped your tiredness and feelings of stress Lucky, here's hoping the supplements help.

Missfoodlove Mon 23-Dec-19 14:15:19

You need vitamin C to absorb iron.
So make sure your vit C levels are good.

Baggs Mon 23-Dec-19 14:44:37

Floradix is good.

notanan2 Mon 23-Dec-19 14:46:07

Floradix is not for clinical iron deficiency either.

Unfortunately, if you need a strong enough dose to have a fast clinical effect, you will need one strong enough that it can also have side effects

BlueSky Mon 23-Dec-19 15:13:39

I found Spatone good to boost my iron level but as others have said, you would probably need the prescription stuff which unfortunately comes with side effects. Try the iron prescribed and mention to the GP any side effects.

notanan2 Mon 23-Dec-19 15:17:15

Vitamin C will help you absorb your prescribed iron but do tell your prescriber what suppliments you plan to take

Lisagran Mon 23-Dec-19 15:17:19

Ferroglobin?

Gransey Mon 23-Dec-19 16:16:53

Spatone really works. I used it after a miscarriage and it’s easy to absorb more iron from it than even prescribed ferrous sulphate. As before you need extra vitamin C in the form of fresh orange juice if you can tolerate it. It’s also important not to take it before or after tea, the tannins in the tea can stop you absorbing the iron.

notanan2 Mon 23-Dec-19 16:20:43

Yes spatone and floradix "work". They "work" as a suppliment to boost health. They also work to prevent clinical deficiency if you take them for heavy periods, misscarraige or childbirth etc.

But once you are clinically deficient, they do not provide a theraputic dose to get you up to normal levels ASAP

BlueSky Mon 23-Dec-19 18:02:34

Luckygirl I'm waiting for another full blood count to check for problems there and like you, I'm dreading a possible endoscopy. Like you say a stool test should be enough?

SueDonim Mon 23-Dec-19 19:25:23

I beg to differ about Floradix. In my last pregnancy I couldn’t get my iron levels up despite consuming buckets of tablets from the doctor and it was going to affect the type of birth I wanted.

A midwife told me about Floradix and I started taking that instead. Within six weeks my levels were up to within normal limits and I was able to have the birth I wanted.

notanan2 Mon 23-Dec-19 20:37:00

Floridix has built in strong vit C so can work a bit better than iron tabs alone but not as well as strong iron tabs plus sufficient vit C (taken at a time when things that reduce absorbtion are avoided)