Gransnet forums

Health

Diabetic type 2 & IBS

(11 Posts)
overthehill Mon 30-Dec-19 17:17:20

I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 just over 20 years ago. Luckily I believe it had only just be established so with Metformin it has been kept under control for all this time. Whether the IBS D came along at the same time I'm not sure but possibly there is a connection.

I've managed the IBS by noting toilets en route when going out and taking spare underwear just in case. I have a very understanding DH who has had to take diversions as I need the loo NOW.

Strange as it sounds, I never connected what I was eating with the IBS. After a bit of research I went with the Fodmap diet and this did help but not completely. I then tried not eating any fruit and this is what made such a enormous difference. Fodmap will tell you, you can eat certain fruits but for me that wasn't the answer.

Since giving fruit up I am so much better as I was a big fruit eater. I miss it, but it's no-brainer.

If anyone here experiences the same, give it a go.

vinasol Mon 30-Dec-19 17:23:31

I don't have diabetes but do have IBS and diverticulitis. It's a nightmare at times. I can't go out with a pack of loperamide - I buy them in bulk on Axxxxn! Stress makes it worse and if you are not near a toilet then it is very stressful! I think people are effected by different foods. It's so debilitating at times and loperamide usually finally helps, but not at first. I know exactly how you feel x

silverlining48 Mon 30-Dec-19 18:09:10

I am just back from hospital, yet another colonoscopy booked, IBS mentioned as possible reason for problems. Yes it’s awful, will check up Fodmap which I hadn’t heard of. Thanks for that overthehill ( I am sure you are not!).

ninathenana Mon 30-Dec-19 18:21:43

Metformin is well know to cause symptoms similar to IBS . My symptoms began at the same time as being prescribed Mets.
Vinasol I too have shares in loperamide. I have had accidents and now usually take 1 or 2 as a precaution if going out.

KatyK Mon 30-Dec-19 18:56:15

My DH has type 2. He was in an awful state a while ago, needing to be near a toilet at all times. He couldn't eat this and that without it going right through him. He googled his symptoms and many people had this while on Metformin, which DH was. He went to his GP. He was taken off Metformin and given an alternative. His symptoms have disappeared.

wildswan16 Mon 30-Dec-19 19:01:58

IBS is a detective's nightmare. It takes time to work out what is upsetting your particular gut! But well worth it. It might be wheat, or eggs, or fruit, or garlic - or any combination of anything really. Fodmap works for some, not for others.

I can imagine how difficult it is to cope with IBS alongside diabetes 1 or 2. Well done for finding out what works (more or less) for you.

Hetty58 Mon 30-Dec-19 19:16:02

Just get the Metformin changed to an alternative!

Niobe Mon 30-Dec-19 21:11:27

There is a slow release Metformin that does not lead to the unpleasant bowel issues but you have to ask (insist?) your GP to prescribe it.
I too resorted to carrying loperamide and a change of knickers at one point but found that being stricter with my diet allowed my Metformin to be reduced and the bowel issues disappeared.

overthehill Tue 31-Dec-19 08:41:17

Don't believe it's the Metformin in my case as I'm much better now and still on Metformin.
If I get anxious about the most stupid things it goes straight to my stomach and I have to 'go'. I have this all my life before the diabetes.

Sadly, because of this and problems in the past not always but when I'm about to leave the house a trip to the toilet is needed. This is definitely mind over matter and there is nothing I can do about it.

midgey Tue 31-Dec-19 09:11:43

It might be worth trying stomach bacteria, they are available in many places but I would suggest a really good quality health food shop. They have helped me enormously.

RussellWilson Wed 01-Jan-20 09:35:49

I don’t think that diabetes and IBS are directly related. However over a course of time, diabetes can damage the blood vessels and nerves in the body including digestive system.