Gransnet forums

Health

womb polyps

(13 Posts)
Tigertooth Wed 01-Jan-20 02:03:43

Thanks all
My gynaecologist has told me to keep up the HRT until and after I have polyps removed, but he only put me on HRT because of the bleeding.
I'm going to see a different consultant as I've lost faith in this one.
Your stories are just what I needed - thank you all.
Happy new year. x

Greeneyedgirl Tue 31-Dec-19 21:18:05

Tigertooth. I'm probably not typical because I continued with HRT and eventually had a hysterectomy for a prolapse, fibroids plus polyps.
I'm not sure if HRT increased the risk of polyps but I was pleased to be rid of any risk. My main symptom was discomfort from prolapse. I had bleeding as a symptom the first time but not before the hysterectomy.

Greenfinch Tue 31-Dec-19 19:00:28

Yes.Would not have known about the polyps but for the bleeding. It is a good sign because even if there is something seriously wrong it is in its very early stages and can be dealt with.

JuliaM Tue 31-Dec-19 18:50:52

I too had polyps and fibroids in my early 50s, l was not on HRT, but the heavy bleeding they caused was making me anaemia, not to mention the mess when l haemoraged a few times. The consultant at the time did little about them other than prescribing Iron tablets and telling me that the problem would sort itself out once l had completed the menopause, it didn’t. In the end, and out of desperation, my father paid for a referral privately to see a gynaecologist that lived nearby him in the same village. He was fantastic, and quickly arranged to refer me back to his NHS clinic where he booked me in for an endometrial ablation procedure, a type of modern hysterectomy that removes the endometrial layer from the womb leaving the main muscular structures intact. This also removes any polyps or fibroids at the same time and prevents any future menstrual bleeding. I went into hospital early morning as a day case, and returned home at 6pm that evening. It had been a complete success, no more bleeding, and over the coming weeks l started to regain my strength after being aneamic for such a long time. I would recommend this procedure to anyone in a similar position to which l found myself in.

Tigertooth Tue 31-Dec-19 18:28:58

Thank you all.
Greeneyedgirl -why did you eventually have the Hysterectomy? Did polyps keep returning?
Did all of you ladies bleed with polyps? I think I’d worry less if the bleeding would stop.

notanan2 Tue 31-Dec-19 18:26:59

The "worst" part will probably be the wait. It can take weeks for results. Most are not concerning. Just be prepared for it to be weeks between the procedure and the results. Good luck

Thorntrees Tue 31-Dec-19 18:20:48

I’m 70 and had polyps removed four days ago. Done in outpatients with just local anaesthetic, can honestly say it was almost pain free,I took ibruprofen and paracetamol beforehand as advised. Also had Mirena coil fitted to ensure lining stays thin. No problems since, some bleeding for a few hours and slight discharge but no cramps. I was very nervous but the nurses were lovely. Waiting now for histology results but Doctor assured me polyps usually benign. Try not to worry.x

Tigertooth Tue 31-Dec-19 16:23:01

Just what I needed to hear!
Thank you for taking the time to reassure / Happy New Year xxx

ninathenana Tue 31-Dec-19 15:36:17

I had a post menopausal bleeding earlier this year. I had a polyp removed 6 wks after visiting my GP.
I had to call consultant a week later and it was confirmed as benign.

annsixty Tue 31-Dec-19 14:31:57

I was in my late 60s and it was taken seriously as I had had BC but it was all fine, the biopsy was clear and I soon recovered from the day surgery.

Greenfinch Tue 31-Dec-19 14:20:40

I am 20 years older than you and had 3 polyps removed last year. I had to take progesterone tablets for 6 months and have just had another biopsy.All is fine. No cancer. It's a very common problem.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 31-Dec-19 13:42:06

I had some polyps removed in my mid 50s. They were not cancerous. I had to have a pregnancy test prior to op because I was on HRT and still had regular periods, ha ha, they said it was protocol.
More grew after a few years and I had a hysterectomy in my 60s. Not cancerous and I have been fine since.
Don't worry, I think polyps are quite common.

Tigertooth Tue 31-Dec-19 12:10:44

Just that really, I'm 53, had post menopausal bleeding since October. Gynae found an 18mm polyp on the lining of my womb - says it wasn't there 3 months ago so has grown rapidly (I think he missed it). Anyway it has to come out, quickly, and then be biopsy'd. he says it is most likely not cancerous and not to worry but obviously he can't be sure until it's out.
Looking for similar stories with good outcomes really , a bit of reassurance -quite scared, particularly as I had my youngest late and she's only 9.