Gransnet forums

Health

BP check up

(19 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 02-Jan-20 12:30:48

Had my BP checked this morning and very happy with the result. 132/70. I also took along the paper with my own recordings done each month on the 1st of the month. The lovely nurse worked out the average and it came to 119/62 which she said was perfect. I asked her why it was the reading it was in the surgery and she replied most people have a spike in their BP when having it done at the GP's, its 'nerves'!!!! lol. That did make me smilesmile She also reminded me that now over 65 i am entitled to the Pneumonia jab and she went into great detail about the benefits of having it done. Will book at the end of the month as the surgery has none at present, but good to know why i should have it done.

BlueSky Thu 02-Jan-20 12:50:28

Travelsafar I'm in the same boat as you but I am already on super medication for it, are you? Despite the tablets my BP was still higher than should be, it was only when I started recording it at home and had a 24hr monitor that the readings were finally acceptable. But yes I agree it's a great feeling!

travelsafar Fri 03-Jan-20 08:09:35

BlueSky I dont take any meds for BP which is why i was so happy all is well. I have 2 check ups per year as all my siblings are on BP tablets and have been for several years. Its a safe guard really i suppose. Sadly my youngest brother died of a massive stroke just over a year ago and he had very high BP so i am quite vigilant about having mine checked.

BlueSky Fri 03-Jan-20 09:08:35

Travesafar then your readings are even better! As I said in my case even with tablets it was still higher than should be and I was getting quite worried. High BP is in my family as well.

Luckygirl Fri 03-Jan-20 09:14:49

Good news - you sound like an Olympic athlete! grin

Greenfinch Fri 03-Jan-20 09:17:48

Because of BP being higher in the Surgery I am concerned that I (and others) may be taking meds unnecessarily. For example I was taken off amlodopine because of side effects and it made no difference to my BP.I do take two other drugs as well but that one was not needed.

BlueSky Fri 03-Jan-20 09:26:32

I found Amlodipine very effective where everything else was failing but can only tolerate the 5mg which I take in combination with an ACE.

annodomini Fri 03-Jan-20 10:17:42

Amlodipine has worked for me, but it gives me the odd hot flush and has made my formerly slim ankles puffy. sad

tanith Fri 03-Jan-20 10:54:55

Amlodipine made my ankles swell too, my GP changed me to Indapamide it works fine for me.

jaylucy Fri 03-Jan-20 11:04:20

Amlodopine seems to be the first drug that GPs reach for. Glad to see I am not the only one that it affected with the swollen ankles - even when it was cold! It also made the skin on my legs really dry and itchy - requested a change of prescription but GP refused, saying it was the best , and just added a beta blocker to the list!
I have a phobia about the automatic BP machines stemming from a visit to A&E after I cut my forehead,and the cuff tightened so much that I lost the feeling in my hand, as well as the fact that it was pinching my bingo wings !

Grannyknot Fri 03-Jan-20 11:23:37

Hi travelsafar and thanks for starting this thread. I too am 'flirting' with HBP readings, first picked up by the nurse when I went for my flu jab and since then I've had a few more readings that are "on the high" side.

I recently went to the GP for yet another BP check-up and the young doctor I saw was brilliant. He took the time to explain to me that prescribing meds for HBP is no longer the first port of call (Yay, I like a conservative approach).

Instead, he suggested that I buy a device and take my BP at home for a period of 3 months and then bring the results back to the surgery.

I forgot to ask him - so perhaps someone on here could say - how often do I need to take my BP if I am doing it at home? Once a week? Every other day?

Anyway hopefully I will end up like Bluesky with my readings being acceptable over time.

Greenfinch Fri 03-Jan-20 11:42:29

I took mine every day but I think that was a bit excessive.I suggest 2 or 3 times a week and I was told to vary the times of day when I read it.

grannysyb Fri 03-Jan-20 11:47:00

I took mine twice a day for a week and then averaged the results. It was too high so am on amlodipine, I'm interested that someone had itchy skin, mine is terrible, I'm seeing my doctor next week so will ask about this.

Grannyknot Fri 03-Jan-20 11:52:04

Thanks and hi Greenfinch smile - I think I will go for twice a week and see how I go.

I'm about to go off on a two-month "mini sabbatical" in a hot country smile so I'd be interested to see how that affects it!

shandi6570 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:53:16

Apart from sitting quietly for five minutes before taking his BP my OH was also told not to have a hot drink for half an hour before taking his blood pressure when he had to do the regular home checks.

BlueSky Fri 03-Jan-20 12:32:10

Grannyknot it should come down naturally in a hot country. When and if I'm going on holiday somewhere hot I'll ask the GP whether I should reduce the dosage.

bikergran Fri 03-Jan-20 15:51:16

Been taking Amlodipine 5mg for about 3 weeks now.

Threw the leaflet away as I try not! to read the side effects (will google later)

But....the last week 10 days, my face keeps going hot/red *almost like a hot flush I suppose( well past them)

Feeling quite tired (yesterday felt totally exhausted, but have been working at supemarket so been very busy, also cooking over Christmas etc}

Also fluttering like palpitations.

bikergran Fri 03-Jan-20 15:53:49

ahhh yes also itchy skin..hmm

used to take Rampril few years ago.no side effects

Grannyknot Fri 03-Jan-20 16:35:36

Bluesky that is good news! I'm already looking forward to my "treatment" grin