Gransnet forums

Health

Smelling Urine

(21 Posts)
harrigran Wed 15-Jan-20 10:47:24

It is quite likely that you can get symptoms if your ears are the problem, everything is connected at the back of your throat. Remember your mum telling you not to sniff when you had a cold as you would get earache ?

felice Tue 14-Jan-20 12:24:56

I do not live in the UK Trendy. It was news about the ear thing to me too as I had no pain in my ear. I will wait and see. I go to the doctor at the end of the month for my regular visit, so I will see how it is then.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 14-Jan-20 11:19:34

Wow didn’t realise inflammation in ear can affect sense of smell hope you feel better soon Felice, I’m Well impressed you can text your GP and get appointment tongue in cheek ?

felice Tue 14-Jan-20 11:07:25

A quick update, it got worse over the weekend, so I texted my GP yesterday morning and went to see him in the afternoon.
It appears I have inflammation in my inner right ear. How that affects my sense of smell I am still not sure but he gave me some ear drops which I will use for a week and see if it clears up.
Hope it works as I gave a woman a funny look when I was out last night and the smell became very strong, a sort of knee-jerk reaction thingy.

GagaJo Sun 12-Jan-20 15:01:48

I've had that! In the bathroom, but no one, not even the plumber I called out could smell it.

I've had it with other smells in the past. At the time I put it down to the menopause (olfactory hallucinations).

I also occasionally get a smell from my sinuses (my family tend to suffer from sinus problems) but I recognise it now. Salty water sprayed up the nose and blown out again sorts it in a couple of days.

Fennel Mon 06-Jan-20 20:08:05

ps @ VQ - have you just returned after a long absence?

Fennel Mon 06-Jan-20 20:03:05

I'm glad you've found a solution, VQ.
I was going to suggest mice - their urine lingers for ages.

vampirequeen Mon 06-Jan-20 15:48:14

I finally went to the GP a few weeks ago. She gave me a steroid spray which I've been using once a day for the last 5 weeks. The difference is amazing.

mumofmadboys Mon 06-Jan-20 15:45:43

Should be helps!

mumofmadboys Mon 06-Jan-20 15:45:10

Try inhaling steam to clear your sinuses a little and see if that helps. Boiling water into bathroom sink. Towel over head and inhale steam for 2 - 5 minutes as long as you can bear to. Hope something helos

felice Mon 06-Jan-20 15:43:30

Hetty, a Morrocan x-boyfriend used to wash out his nose morning and evening, part of a daily ritual, his Sisters thought we were disgusting when DD and I did not do it.
I had to chase them into the bathroom as they were doing it in the kitchen sink. Yuck!

Hetty58 Mon 06-Jan-20 15:39:58

My first MIL, from France, regularly washed her nose by sniffing warm salt water (from a saucer) up one nostril (the other held shut), then blowing it down the other - into her kitchen sink - which I found totally disgusting at the time!

vampirequeen Mon 06-Jan-20 15:37:11

I have a sinus condition that causes me to smell strange smells. I prefer the lilies to the stale tobacco and beer.

Stansgran Mon 06-Jan-20 15:35:00

As a raging hypochondriac I shouldn't have read that article. I am now deciding between Parkinson's or epilepsy grin

lemongrove Mon 06-Jan-20 15:34:50

Something wrong in the sinuses?
I have a lot of sinus problems ( which come and go) and I find my sense of being able to identify smell/scents has become enhanced as a result.

Stansgran Mon 06-Jan-20 15:28:53

Had to log in to say I've been drivenmad by a smell like tar when they are repairing roads. And yes I haven't got a cold but I am sneezing frequently which is annoying.

felice Mon 06-Jan-20 14:22:47

No real dental problems at the moment but I have had a really itchy nose lately and I sneeze a lot.
It is amazing how I am starting to put things together now I am chatting about it.
I will ask GP about that, thanks.

GrannyLaine Mon 06-Jan-20 14:12:31

For some time I used to smell a 'phantom' unpleasant smell rather like slightly 'off' meat. I knew it was phantom as I would smell it in completely random, unconnected places. It was also intermittent. I had had some problems with a recurrent dental abscess and eventually had to have the offending tooth removed. I mentioned the odd smell to my dentist and he thought that theoretically it could be connected to the chronic infection which was close to my sinuses. Could that be the case with you felice?

felice Mon 06-Jan-20 14:00:26

Thank you, it has not been happening for long, but is quite a strong smell. I have heard of other smells being linked to ill health but never this.

Chestnut Mon 06-Jan-20 13:49:18

I would wait until your doctor's appointment and if still a problem then ask him. There may be some medical reason why you're smelling this which is connected to your olfactory nerve. This article has some links:
www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/olfactory-nerve

felice Mon 06-Jan-20 13:38:36

Hi, this is a bit strange but I keep smelling urine, it is not from me or DGS, DD checked !
Out yesterday and Saturday and I kept smelling a strong Urine smell. DGS and friends did not smell it just me.
It seems to come in waves and the smell lasts for ages. Can be anywhere even in a friends very clean apartment.
I have done a google but can only find links to smell from urine.
I do not want to bother my GP with this and do not see him for about a month.
DD just says I am weird she could be right.