Gransnet forums

Health

Old person Smell

(233 Posts)
ExD1938 Tue 07-Jan-20 08:43:14

My friend's teenage daughter was refusing to visit an elderly aunt because she smelled. My friend asked what she smelled of and was told she had 'the old people smell'
So I did a bit of research on google and came up with the worrying answer that ALL old people smell however much they bathe.
So, me being a worrier I'm thinking --- do I smell?
And if I do, how can I get rid of it?
Do you smell without realising it?
(please tell me this isn't true)

MissAdventure Fri 09-Oct-20 15:52:41

grin

boodymum67 Fri 09-Oct-20 15:50:50

Greasy & Grassy.

I`ve just googled noneal..ie old people`s smell. It has been likened to greasy & grassy.

Sounds like a double act!

pinkquartz Sat 18-Jan-20 11:50:42

Yeah and it grows in the UK too.

Callistemon Fri 17-Jan-20 20:23:56

I have a freezer full of blackcurrant, thanks for that tip pinkquartz.

Remember all the hype about 'superfoods' and exotic berries?
The humble blackcurrant is supposed to be as good as any.

pinkquartz Fri 17-Jan-20 11:07:37

New research shows blackcurrants protect you from getting this smell

*The research was welcomed by Nicki Bundock, of Surrey-based firm CurraNZ, a supplier of New Zealand blackcurrant supplements.

'Excessive body odour can have a huge impact on a person's self esteem and the problem increases as we age,' Nikki said.

'But this study suggests large decreases in body odour in middle age and older people can be achieved through simple dietary changes.

'Blackcurrant supplement should be considered by anyone whose wellbeing has taken a knock because of insecurities about their odour.'*

Rufus2 Thu 16-Jan-20 10:19:46

You learn something new every day on GN.

I always thought girls were the best extenders, although not necessarily the cheapest! hmm

Callistemon Thu 16-Jan-20 10:04:38

I've got Steradent back again
It's quite a relief

Callistemon Thu 16-Jan-20 10:03:52

penis extensions? shock

You learn something new every day on GN.

Grandma2213 Thu 16-Jan-20 01:30:08

Maybe I have a very masculine smell Hetty!

Hetty58 Thu 16-Jan-20 01:23:27

I'd say that you win Grandma2213!

Grandma2213 Thu 16-Jan-20 01:19:47

Callistemon and Hetty58 I must admit the adverts for penis extensions really flummoxed me though! I'm the only one who uses this laptop! confused

Hetty58 Thu 16-Jan-20 00:35:23

I'm wondering who has shares in the Persimmon soap business. Still, we can't deny the scientific facts about our body chemistry and smell changing as we age. I'm getting adverts for pet beds - very strange!

Callistemon Thu 16-Jan-20 00:26:34

Oh Grandma2213 I wish!
I've got adverts for Steradent.

And I've still got my own teeth (nearly), although I am going to the dentist tomorrow.

Callistemon Thu 16-Jan-20 00:24:19

GillT57 I read years ago that Chinese people think that Westerners smell of fish.

'Old ladies smelling of lavender'
Oh dear, I thought my Jo Malone perfume was right on trend!

Grandma2213 Thu 16-Jan-20 00:07:28

grin grin grin I am having hilarious visions of Grans all over the world sniffing each other!! I am now getting emails from ebay advertising deodorants. I wish I'd never asked!! hmm

MissAdventure Wed 15-Jan-20 21:08:25

grin

vampirequeen Wed 15-Jan-20 20:45:44

We took the Grannies Bus out today and, with this thread in mind, I did a bit of research.....well I subtly sniffed a few grannies. From my research I can confirm that there is a definite 'old woman' smell. However not all old ladies smell of it and some of the oldest ladies don't but some of the younger old ladies do. So it would seem that there is an 'old lady' smell but there doesn't seem to be a definitive age when it develops and some old ladies don't seem to develop it at all. Fingers crossed none of us develop it.

Liz46 Mon 13-Jan-20 10:00:28

My grand son has a strong sense of smell and he told me a while ago that I smell nice so that is reassuring. I'm sure he will be the first to tell me if I smell bad!

Rufus2 Mon 13-Jan-20 09:54:01

occasionally smell a fusty odour on some people, they are not always that old

Don't tell me you go around supermarkets smelling people?
Try that here and you'd lose your sense of smell thanks to a bloodied nose! grin
Instead, apply for a job with Airport Security!, hmm

Unfortunately I think a few elderly people are not so fastidious about their personal hygiene
Like they say in OZ; as dry as a Pommy's bath towel! wink

MissAdventure Sun 12-Jan-20 19:16:17

We all have our own unique smell; some more appealing than others, just like other aspects of being individuals.
I don't think it really matters, although B.O does make me cross.

Sparkling Sun 12-Jan-20 19:13:25

Unfortunately I think a few elderly people are not so fastidious about their personal hygiene and perhaps they don't wash their clothes enough. Afraid it's young people too.

123kitty Sun 12-Jan-20 19:02:44

I occasionally smell a fusty odour on some people, they are not always that old, it's not their clothes- it's just part of them somehow.

loopyloo Sat 11-Jan-20 20:52:21

And dogs can be trained to smell Parkinsons.

eebeew Sat 11-Jan-20 20:46:23

Just one thing I would add to my previous posts. I have found that since going vegan the nonenol smell is very much reduced (in my DH). I read in the links to research (given above) that it is composed of some kind of lipids so perhaps giving up the saturated fats in animal derived foods has reduced its presence.

Helleborus Sat 11-Jan-20 09:42:25

Have read some, not all, the responses. Apologies if I repeat some of what already has been said.
The subject has interested me for years... The molecule responsible for the 'old people smell' is nonenal (nine carbon aldehyde, for those interested). Not sure how or why it is produced in older people, will have to read into that! Some alteration in our metabolism.
As has been mentioned above, washing regularly (I dry brush a few times a week too), washing clothes, bedding, airing the rooms even in winter. In the summer I wash duvets and air them in the sun whenever possible. All helps.
Our sense of smell varies from person to person, but it is the most direct of our senses, and it evokes strong, immediate responses and emotions. So for myself, as I am particularly sensitive to smells, I do my best not to have an 'iffy' one...