Gransnet forums

Health

Giggle Knickers....has anyone tried them?

(34 Posts)
Pittcity Sat 18-Jan-20 09:44:48

I have been reading a Facebook discussion about putting used sanitary products into landfill vs buying reusable alternatives.
I currently use Tena lights for the occasional sneeze/cough leak. I have looked at Giggle Knickers as a washable alternative.
They are quite expensive and would like to know what others think before taking the plunge.
I am also interested to find out if there is much difference in the environmental impact of both products taking manufacturing, disposal v washing machine water, electricity, detergents etc.

Gwenth Wed 04-Mar-20 08:28:15

I have three black pairs and have now ordered the light colour. I think they are fab and they give me confidence for all day wear. A bit expensive but more environmentally friendly and easier to wear than pads. I would highly recommend

Pittcity Wed 26-Feb-20 19:12:22

I rarely leak as I am religious with my exercises and have an Innovo but I will always have the odd cough, sneeze, jump accident (slight) because of childbirth damage. I feel safer in these knickers.
I have had medical advice.

Grannyjay Wed 26-Feb-20 16:12:48

When my mother started to lose the ability to hold herself before getting to the toilet, she went down the Tena lady path. She was happy with these as she felt more secure but said they were very expensive. She had to go to the doctors for and infection and he told her that once you start thinking it’s normal to wet yourself you will ultimately get worse. This she did as the adverts told her it’s perfectly normal. She didn’t have to try and hold her bladder and I’m sorry to be blunt but they smell. They contain plastic and this produces the most offensive smell as they don’t breathe. The doctors sent her to the hospital physio to learn how to do pelvic floor exercise and she did these religiously and at the age of 89 she can control her bladder and no UTI’s. Tena ladies and other incontinence companies drive the physio depts mad promoting their products without proper advice and saying it’s normal and just carry on buying their products. Because these companies care NOT.

3nanny6 Wed 26-Feb-20 15:17:48

Perhaps I am lucky but as yet I do not need to wear those type of knickers and I did not know what they were so looked on this thread to find out. I have always done the pelvic floor exercises which has probably helped me.
I do find that in the colder weather I need to pee more as the cold gets to me. I went to a large shop on a retail park a few days ago and was dismayed to find their toilets once more out of order. My bladder was near to wanting to empty its self and I had to drive in my car to another place where I was just in time to get into the toilet, if it had been any longer I would have been wishing I had incontinent knickers and pads on, how embarrassing it would have been for me.

Pittcity Wed 26-Feb-20 14:57:21

I have now bought a pair of Modibodi for comparison. Comfy fit and less bulky between the legs. These can't be tumble dried and a cold wash without conditioner is recommended. Giggle Knickers need no special laundry treatment and are cheaper.
So I think Giggle Knickers win.

Grandmax5 Sun 26-Jan-20 20:50:45

@MissAdventure...lol I never noticed Toms review ☺️

Pittcity Sat 25-Jan-20 08:59:52

I have washed and tumble dried (as recommended) a pair and the gusset is still slightly damp and will need airing. If you don't tumble dry they could take some time to dry.

eebeew Sat 25-Jan-20 01:41:47

I only need them when my younger daughter comes! She always makes me laugh so much that I am caught out! blush
I think I’ll try them and put them on when I’m expecting her! grin

Evie64 Fri 24-Jan-20 23:51:02

Sadly I need the Tena Super plus, so not sure I would trust these, especially when I'm at work and have a coughing fit! But saying that, I think they are a really good idea. Bit like terry nappies were so much better than the disposable ones back in the day, but apparently they are making a resurgence now which is good.

MissAdventure Fri 24-Jan-20 23:44:48

Argh! I copied part of his review then changed my mind, but my phone decided to post it anyway.

MissAdventure Fri 24-Jan-20 23:43:04

"I love my baby items and
grandmax5 recommended an item, so I clicked on the link and started reading the reviews.
The one from Tom with his picture included made me smile.

Tweedle24 Fri 24-Jan-20 22:43:07

Trying Giggle Knickers for first time today. As Pittcity says, “ They are very comfortable and look nice”.
I am sold!

Pittcity Fri 24-Jan-20 21:37:02

I must admit that they are very comfortable and look nice. I haven't needed to test them yet!

Grandmax5 Thu 23-Jan-20 11:36:10

These are useful and easy to just hand wash in the bathroom sink at night and dry for next morning. I find them helpful just now until I get my hysterectomysad

www.etsy.com/uk/listing/730428455/pack-of-3-mini-incontinence-menstural?ref=yr_purchases

Grandmax5 Thu 23-Jan-20 11:27:27

Hetty58...a weak pelvic floor is not the only cause for urine leakage though. Although it’s a good place to start.

GrannyLaine Wed 22-Jan-20 16:12:59

*Pittcity, let us know what you think of them!

Pittcity Wed 22-Jan-20 16:01:50

Well I took the plunge and my order arrived today.

Luckygirl Sat 18-Jan-20 21:52:01

All sounds too good to be true! I do not think I would trust them at all.

I was amazed to see they have "period pants" as well - I am sure they would not have equalled the two super tampons + two super pads all at once that still left me having to get up and change the sheets in the night!!

Cerys Sat 18-Jan-20 18:22:43

No smell - they make different strengths of absorption which and colour etc. Can be used for periods as well

kittylester Sat 18-Jan-20 18:09:32

But do they smell?

Yennifer Sat 18-Jan-20 17:02:02

Ooh I had a terrible problem after 5 pregnancies. You have to find that pelvic floor ladies! Take the elevator half way up, hold for 5 take it all the way to the top for a good squeeze, then release lol x

Cerys Sat 18-Jan-20 16:41:23

I use Modibody knickers which sound very similar to Giggle knickers - they are amazing and I wouldn’t, go back to liners. Very comfortable and effective with no leaks. And to answer your question one pair lasts all day.

Pittcity Sat 18-Jan-20 15:46:33

I do my exercises and was lucky enough to be a GN tester for Innovo. Both have improved the situation greatly but there is still the occasional accident.

Hetty58 Sat 18-Jan-20 15:42:56

I'd suggest downloading the Habit pelvic floor exercises. I'm surprised it's often considered 'normal' for older ladies to have leaky bladders.

Luckygirl Sat 18-Jan-20 15:32:02

Would that Tena Lights were up to the task!!