Gransnet forums

Health

Continence Aids in Alzheimers

(15 Posts)
Granny23 Fri 14-Feb-20 10:12:05

forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums

Granny23 Fri 14-Feb-20 10:10:04

Best website for advice on all things Dementia is the Alzheimer's Society's 'Talking Point'

Dillyduck Fri 14-Feb-20 10:01:27

Make sure the family concerned are aware that the person concerned is now entitled to Attendance Allowance, that a family carer might be entitled to Carers Allowance. Most importantly the person concerned is EXEMPT from Council Tax from the day of diagnosis, and it can be backdated!!!
Lots more information on the Carers UK website. Maybe the family could get a tablet to access the internet?

JuliaM Fri 14-Feb-20 09:47:23

If the incontinence is severe or it is making him very sore, then a urinary catheter may help. My husband lived with one for several months when he had his nepharostomy in place, and said he prefared it as it was discreet and easy to empty.
This is something to discuss with your continence advisor, but they used to be the prefared method of choice when dealing with urinary incontinence in the elderly.

dragonfly46 Fri 14-Feb-20 09:36:29

I got pull ups for my dad from Age Concern.

MiniMoon Fri 14-Feb-20 09:29:56

Good point kitty. If the dementia sufferer has had a marked deterioration recently, then it could point to an infection, and UTI's are common in dementia patients.
When I worked in a nursing home we used incontinence pads and netty knickers, when we looked after my Dad at home we bought the pull up pants. Dad had repeated UTI's, this was one of the reasons that we found a good nursing home for him for the last 8 months of his life.

kittylester Fri 14-Feb-20 06:42:46

I would get the person living with dementia tested for a UTI.

welbeck Fri 14-Feb-20 04:14:14

sorry, should have been full stop after far less incontinence, in above. the night did not belong there, but re getting up.
got a bit tangled up.

welbeck Fri 14-Feb-20 04:11:06

large boots stores also are quite good.
i found some tight-fitting mens hipster type underpants could hold a pad securely, and using standard underwear may be more acceptable to the user; depends what they are used to, but its worth a try. the square=shaped, with legs, having some lycra in the fabric.
not triangular, y fronts.
i would avoid referring to continence, far less incontinence often at night with someone having dementia. if it can be presented as helping with the laundry, for prostrate problems, or not having to get up so often at night. some way that sounds like an useful item rather than part of an unravelling.
it can be tricky. perhaps the person is unco-operative as they find it affronts their dignity, or more fundamentally, the fear of dementia. hence why i suggest talking around it.
no good trying to batter them with realities / logic. can be too harsh and ineffective, causes more anxiety, stress, resistence.

Steamjames Fri 14-Feb-20 03:53:18

Check here they have a wide range of incontinence pads I also shop from here.
www.incontinenceproductsdirect.com.au

Steamjames Fri 14-Feb-20 03:50:37

@Check here they have a wide range of incontinence pads I also shop from here.

annsixty Sun 26-Jan-20 12:43:32

I bought them from a company called I think, the Continence shop.
I think they are based in Bolton.

thisisnotme Sun 26-Jan-20 12:33:09

Thank you annsixty that is very helpful - I’ve just had a look at the ID website

annsixty Sun 26-Jan-20 11:58:40

My H was comfortable wearing pull-ups, but he was quite far along in his dementia before they were needed.
I bought a brand called ID and I bought them online.
When he was deemed suitable for free aids from the NHS they only prescribe pads , you then have to buy the “ nets” to hold them in place, underpants do not do the job.
I continued to buy the pull ups until he went into hospital for the last time.

thisisnotme Sun 26-Jan-20 11:25:33

Looking for some suggestions please for a family member who doesn't use the internet.

Their spouse has recently (2 months ago) been diagnosed as having mixed dementia/Alzheimers and seems to be deteriorating quickly - the latest being urinary incontinence (daytime only so far) of which the sufferer is completely unaware and non-cooperative with the idea of wearing pads/pants etc.

They have only recently had the local dementia nurse to visit so this is all very new as they are both still reeling from the diagnosis whilst trying to deal with the various HCPs now involved.

Any recommendations for continence aids that don't cost an arm and a leg, are discreet and comfortable to wear/use whilst a referral to the continence clinic is in the pipeline?

Thank you in anticipation.