Gransnet forums

Health

Second Blood Test

(11 Posts)
BlueSky Fri 14-Feb-20 18:46:06

This was my repeat FBC, now just had another set of bloods taken to look for various things, inflammation, infection, ferritin etc. Also had chest X ray done. I guess we'll go from there. Thanks all for your replies.

Marydoll Fri 14-Feb-20 15:29:28

My elevated platelets are a result of severe RA. It is compounded by medication I take.
Although the are slightly elevated, they are not causing undue alarm and have been monitored for years.
It's best to wait until a second test before you worry unduly.
We all have different circumstances, so best not to speculate.
Hope you get your results quickly.

curvygran950 Fri 14-Feb-20 14:43:17

The same ( slightly ) elevated results happened to me, second test showed all was ok . I’d recently had a spinal corticosteroid injection which was most likely the cause .if the slightly raised result . Try not to worry and don’t consult Dr Google!

BlueSky Fri 14-Feb-20 14:38:13

Thanks Luckylegs no you haven't worried me better be prepared for various finds. Good your condition is treatable and manageable.

Luckylegs Fri 14-Feb-20 14:34:07

I don’t want to worry you and I don’t know if you’ve been diagnosed with anything but I had enormously elevated platelets and red blood cells and was diagnosed eventually with Polycythemia Rubra Vera. It’s a disorder of your bone marrow where the platelets/red blood cells go mad duplicating by a 1000 times normal production. It’s classed as a cancer but it’s not life limiting and is easy to cope with in your life. I take a small chemo tablet and a small aspirin a day which keeps it under control. I think it’s quite rare and more usual in men. My main symptom was unexplained bruising. I do hope I haven’t worried you but it might be good to be aware such things exist. Xx

BlueSky Fri 14-Feb-20 14:16:11

Marydoll have they found out what's causing it in your case? By the replies on here I don't think it's very common. Thanks.

BlueSky Fri 14-Feb-20 09:21:00

Thanks Merydoll it came to light as I have a annual blood test for medication review.

Marydoll Fri 14-Feb-20 09:10:34

I have fortnightly blood tests and my platelets are often elevated. There can be many causes, medical conditions, infection and medication. I often get called back to have them done again, because of all three. Mildly elevated, is now the norm for me.
Try not to worry, until you get the results. You are fortunate that your doctor is on the ball.

BlueSky Fri 14-Feb-20 08:55:47

Thanks Oopsadaisy it seems to be one thing after another!

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 14-Feb-20 08:49:00

I haven’t personally, but I hope that yours is a temporary blip.

Didn’t want to read and just pass by, I hope your next FBC is clear.

BlueSky Thu 13-Feb-20 20:25:19

I've had my second FBC and the platelets are still 'mildly elevated'. I was hoping it would have righted itself. So now more blood tests and a chest X ray. Anybody has experience of this?