Gransnet forums

Health

Can anyone recommend a personal alarm system for my Mum?

(6 Posts)
Oopsadaisy3 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:26:32

Why don’t you check with the personal alarm company ?

They will tell you what they cover, also maybe point you in the right direction if they dont cover it.
I’m sure if your mother contacted them and asked for Police assistance they would help.

rocketstop Sat 22-Feb-20 19:14:10

Thanks for your replies so far.

Franbern Thu 20-Feb-20 18:40:38

I have an Alexa system - main one in my sitting room, small one in my bedroom. Not only does it play my choice of music for me, and read books tome, and as an alarm, etc. etc. it also has he useful feature that I can tell it to telephone my daughter who lives nearby if I need to at any time. Could probably also be set up with local police tel. no. Once purchased there is no on-going costs involved, and they are very inexpensive to purchase. Obviously does require an internet connection.

Septimia Wed 19-Feb-20 14:25:47

My FiL had a system, which was run through the local authority, where they would come out for anything. A few times he set it off accidentally and the patrol turned up, checked everything was OK and left a report. They said they'd help with anything, up to and includiong changing lightbulbs if the customer couldn't do it themselves.

It might be worthwhile looking for a similar service rather than just one that deals with medical emergencies.

rocketstop Wed 19-Feb-20 14:05:00

'Break in' and 'Situation' ..I can spell, but my fingers cannot !

rocketstop Wed 19-Feb-20 14:03:51

Hi,
My elderly Mum has been subject to an attempted breakl in and was unable to call for help, I realise that personal alarms that you have around the neck or wrists are primarily to summon help in a fall or illness, but, could they be used in the break in suituation ?
Does anyone have any recommendations please ?