Gransnet forums

Health

Restless Leg Syndrome

(22 Posts)
emjaebe Sun 23-Feb-20 10:44:54

Does anyone have any suggestions to get some relief from this problem? It was just past 3 am today when I last had a frustrating look at the clock after re-adjusting the duvet which had been kicked and crumpled due to restless legs. So annoying, to say the very least.

Fiachna50 Sun 23-Feb-20 12:12:53

I had a relative who suffered terribly with this. Im not sure but think they went to the doctor and got something to help. It was severe though in their case. Apart from this I don't know much about the condition.

BlueSky Sun 23-Feb-20 12:17:43

My MIL was given quinine tablets for leg cramps. Not sure you are experiencing the same thing.

Welshwife Sun 23-Feb-20 12:23:16

I used to suffer from it and tried all sorts of things but none of which I could say definitely helped! Because of a sore hip I started having a pillow in the bed around the knee area and have found that generally I have no pain etc and sleep better.

Fennel Sun 23-Feb-20 12:55:47

I suffer from RLS at times - like Welshwife I think mine comes from my left hip which is sometimes sore.
When I had my right hip replaced the surgeon asked if I had RLS on that side, so there could be a connection.
Sorry, no suggestions for a solution. I used to do exercises swinging legs from side to side etc which helps a bit. I've even laid on my back on the floor and put my feetup on a low table. In desperation.
It's annoying as you say emjaebe.
Is it always the same leg? If so maybe ask your Dr. to book an xray of that hip and knee..

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 12:58:59

Are you diabetic? Diabetic neuropathy can contribute to restless leg syndrome.

A GP can prescribe ropinirole, which might help.

Yennifer Sun 23-Feb-20 13:03:52

Magnesium oil massaged into legs and stretching before sleep. Also, flight socks. Sometimes I get relief putting them on and sometimes taking them off but they are great and make a huge difference x

BlueSky Sun 23-Feb-20 14:06:36

Just read that quinine is no longer prescribed for leg cramps because of potentially serious side effects!

Taichinan Sun 23-Feb-20 14:22:25

Blue sky, I'm not sure about this - but doesn't tonic water contain quinine? If so, perhaps a glass of tonic (with or without the gin ?) before bed might a do the trick?

Fennel Sun 23-Feb-20 15:00:13

There are a few old threads about it - eg
www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1211702-Restless-legs-at-night

kissngate Sun 23-Feb-20 16:21:39

I daily take a magnesium tablet incl B vits purchased from Healthspan and it certainly helps. If I dont take it for a few days the RLS returns.

NanKate Sun 23-Feb-20 18:45:43

For anyone who tries quinine or tonic water, please be aware this can make tinnitus worse and should be avoided.

Grandmafrench Sun 23-Feb-20 19:01:17

I lost my dear Mum 7 months ago. A few years ago she suffered terribly with restless legs and was prescribed Quinine for the longest of times. Then I found out that it was one of the many things that shouldn't be given out indefinitely, or at all, to elderly people. When she visited me in France, a friend told me that a bar or two of soap in the bed would help her condition. You can imagine I thought it was a joke, but even our Doctor confirmed it. Not any old soap, not posh soap either, but Savon de Marseille which is fairly pure. Mum was willing to try it - she never complained about her legs again. Sometimes when desperate, I reckon we should give anything a try!

BlueSky Sun 23-Feb-20 19:43:56

Taichinan I swear by a gin&tonic night cup! grin

Urmstongran Sun 23-Feb-20 20:18:54

I get it occasionally. It’s both legs. I’m not diabetic. I’ve not got painful hips. The urge to move the legs is powerful to the extent of making the leg muscles ache when severe.

I find calming breathing helps. Breathe in through the nose for the count of 8 until my tummy rises (full lungs) then slowly blow the air out to the count of 12. It works for me. I think it’s the concentrating on something else that does the trick.

Good luck!

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 20:42:50

Iron deficiency can cause RLS, as can some medications. If it's troubling you a lot, you really should go and see your GP.

Urmstongran Sun 23-Feb-20 20:50:24

In my case I had a routine blood test done last week and I’m not anaemic nor do I take any medications or supplements. Which is not to say that those don’t trigger episodes, just not in my case.

It’s a weird feeling ‘having’ to move my legs. Until they ache. But it’s not often fortunately. If I’m tired the urge comes on when I’ve got my feet up on the sofa.

Oopsminty Sun 23-Feb-20 21:03:06

Drives me insane

Doubt suffer too often but when it hits it's unbearable

I just wander round the house, kicking my legs out as I go

Mamissimo Sun 23-Feb-20 21:11:14

I get this sometimes when I have taken Ibuprofen. This will sound weird but I find that a cotton wool ball I between my big toe and the next one so that they don’t touch brings almost instant relief. I was in hospital not long ago and a consultant said it made sense to them because it acted on an acupuncture point. Weird but works for me....?

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 21:29:45

It's supposed to be related to dopamine, which tends to be lower at the end of the day and can drop quite suddenly for a variety of reasons. It also has a number of triggers.

I had it very seriously, every night for months and it affected my sleep, which is bad anyway. The identified causes were diabetes, iron deficiency, high blood pressure medication, caffeine and stress.

I was prescribed ropinirole, which helped, iron supplements, had my blood pressure medication changed, I drink less coffee and I do yoga in the evening. The ropinirole was reduced, so I don't take it at all now and, thank goodness, I haven't had RLS for about six months.

Hetty58 Sun 23-Feb-20 21:32:19

Emjaebe, get your blood ferritin (rather than iron) levels checked frequently in case you need iron supplements. I'm fascinated by the cotton wool remedy Mamissimo so will try that if I get any symptoms again.

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 22:17:08

I agree with you Hetty. I should have made it clear that I meant ferritin.