Gransnet forums

Health

How many nurses to take a temperature?

(8 Posts)
AGAA4 Sun 01-Mar-20 19:07:59

I agree that they should do their job properly but as in many professions there are always some who let the side down. Having said that we must remember the health service is under very great strain. Doctors and nurses are working longer and harder than ever. There really aren't enough medical professionals to cope as well as they would like or to spend as much time with their patients as they feel they should.

kittylester Sun 01-Mar-20 18:46:57

DS1, in hospital in Japan, always had his bp taken over his clothes!!

Daisymae Sun 01-Mar-20 18:12:19

Not saying that I am not grateful but I think any HCA should be able to competently take BP.

Luckygirl Sun 01-Mar-20 16:59:55

Over the last year or so I have watched many nurses take my late OH's temperature and it used to make us smile - they often sort of waved the ear thermometer in the general direction of his ear and made do with that! My DD brought in her own ear thermometer and we used to take it properly and make sure that the staff knew what it really was.

AGAA4 Sun 01-Mar-20 16:46:03

I think because of the shortage of qualified nurses, health care assistants do Bps and temperatures. My daughter, who is a qualified nurse has told me that sometimes there is only one RGN on duty and maybe 2 healthcare assistants for many patients. She used to work 14 hour days.
I think we should be grateful to our nurses. Most do a good job.

Daisymae Sun 01-Mar-20 16:34:19

I don't know, but it's odd to say the least. My husband once had his BP taken in his forearm by a 'nurse' who said that it didn't matter where they put it!

AGAA4 Sun 01-Mar-20 15:52:36

Were they all qualified nurses? Maybe 2 were in training or newly qualified.

Daisymae Sun 01-Mar-20 15:44:46

GC has needed out of hours medical care this weekend. Taking temperature nurse 1. Calling out reading nurse 2. Inputting said reading nurse 3. So the answer is 3 nurses to take a temperature!