Gransnet forums

Health

Coronavirus Precautions

(34 Posts)
Cunco Mon 02-Mar-20 09:51:22

Apologies if this has been said before but as a precaution against passing the coronavirus from hand to hand, would it not be sensible to tap a credit or debit card rather than pay by cash and receive change? If the circulation of currency carries a risk, this would seem to be an obvious precaution to add to hand washing and cough catching. What do you think?

Marydoll Mon 09-Mar-20 15:39:12

Civil and religious ceremonies are suspended, including funerals.
I'm not sure how you would deal with the funerals, what happens to the deceased, especially if infected?

Greeneyedgirl Mon 09-Mar-20 13:59:16

funeral ceremonies, are suspended.... I wonder how this works, particularly in a very religious country? Are private non religious burials taking place?

Marydoll Mon 09-Mar-20 11:04:42

Latest news from the Vatican, which I think is very sensible.

ROME - On Sunday evening the Italian bishops’ conference announced the suspension of all public Masses and liturgical celebrations until April 3 amid growing fears surrounding the coronavirus outbreak, after the Italian government ordered the closure of all cinemas, museums and theatres.

In a March 8 statement, the bishops cited a decree issued by the Presidency of the Council of Ministers in Italy signed the same day stipulating that effective immediately, “civil and religious ceremonies, including funeral ceremonies, are suspended at a preventative level throughout the country until Friday, April 3.

Noting that the decree causes “suffering and difficulty” for both priests and faithful, the bishops insisted that the directive was accepted by the conference “solely by the desire to do its part, also in this situation, to contribute to the protection of public health.”

For Montalbano fans, Luca Zingaretto's brother, Nicola the president of Lazio has contracted Coronavirus.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 09-Mar-20 09:46:04

Sifting false information about protecting against coronavirus from valid information it's worth checking out 'Myths about Coronovirus' on the WHO site at who.int.
This gives evidence based information.

Marelli Mon 09-Mar-20 09:24:10

Thanks for that, Sparklefizz. I just really wasn't sure what to do, but I think we're making the right decision.

Sparklefizz Mon 09-Mar-20 09:10:08

Marelli In my opinion you are doing the right thing. It's no use being wise after the event.

Marelli Mon 09-Mar-20 08:51:45

We are booked to go to a hotel in the Highlands for my 70th. DH has a degree of pulmonary fibrosis - not massively affected as yet, and is not breathless, but does have a violent cough. I've made the decision to cancel the break for now. I would think that the fibrosis is bound to make him more vulnerable to the Coronavirus and the fact that he's 80 would add to that. Perhaps if we self-catered it might be safer, but I think we're doing the right thing by cancelling for now.

Guineagirl Mon 09-Mar-20 07:41:00

I had a cold last week I wear mittens, have always used hand gel and wipes so there you go I swear it was a lady sat too close to me when out mmmm maybe a face mask might of stopped that but who knows so obviously I breathed it in. I’m terrible for touching my face too, even leaning on my elbow with hand touching face. I didn’t realise I did it as much as I do.

Fiachna50 Sun 08-Mar-20 00:19:00

I will be going to outings that I have booked and paid for. Thats it. I don't usually holiday abroad, but have 2 holidays booked in the UK. I will see nearer the time. I won't be going out of my way to attend large gatherings.

Labaik Sat 07-Mar-20 23:05:06

Well, I'm squirting some boots cold and flu defence up my nose before I go out; no idea if it will help but I might as well give it a go. I think I bought some when we few to America a few years ago; not sure why. Perhaps to stop catching a cold on the plane.

winterwhite Sat 07-Mar-20 16:32:13

We are often told that certain nasal sprays, and decongestants will shorten the life of a common cold. The common cold is a virus too. Any point in trying those remedies with coronavirus?

Bbarb Sat 07-Mar-20 11:33:03

GrannyLaine I've had the same thought after buying a bottle of those 'friendly bacteria' tablets from Holland and Barrett for my IBS. The advice is to keep them in the fridge because heat of over 25c would kill them.
But as you say ..... our body temp would also kill them wouldn't it? Is someone taking the Michael?

DoraMarr Tue 03-Mar-20 14:52:46

Thankyou, barb, sensible advice.

GrannyLaine Tue 03-Mar-20 14:37:22

@Bbarb - I saw that message posted on facebook, most of it seems sensible but if you think about point (3)
This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
.. makes no sense: normal body temperature is 36.8 degrees thus it couldn't survive within the human body

Bbarb Tue 03-Mar-20 13:57:19

Is this any help? It was sent to me by a friend (I don't dine with people who've worked in China etc, in fact I don't 'dine' out much at all smile)

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS
Last evening dining out with friends, one of their uncles, who's graduated with a master's degree and who worked in Shenzhen Hospital (Guangdong Province, China) sent him the following notes on Coronavirus for guidance:

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasise enough - drink plenty of water!
THE SYMPTOMS
1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.
SPREAD THE WORD - PLEASE SHARE.AND ALSO SEE RECENT UPDATES FROM NHS AND ELSEWHERE

Daisymae Mon 02-Mar-20 16:28:36

I dont know if I would go, social isolation is being advised by some but if this gets a hold then in a few weeks we might not have the choice. I suppose it depends on how widespread you think it might be in your area.

Cunco Mon 02-Mar-20 16:27:57

jude2006 I think it is a personal decision. My wife and I went to a theatre in London last week and to a restaurant at the weekend. Having said that, we are keeping things under review and we might decide differently in future.

AGAA4 Mon 02-Mar-20 16:06:50

If people washed their hands properly and more often there would be fewer virus infections not only Covid19. I saw a survey where people had their hands tested for virus and bacteria. Almost all had e-coli and other nasty bugs lurking all over their hands. Ugh!

jude2006 Mon 02-Mar-20 16:05:10

Hello all GN's I need your advice again. I am due to go to the theatre this week, would you still go?
The last time I went there was an awful lot of coughing and sniffing, and some people still don't use tissues.
I am in the over sixties age group and don't want to put myself at risk.

Daisymae Mon 02-Mar-20 15:53:34

Good to hear that people are talking the handwashing advice. According to an interviewee yesterday computer modelling showed that proper/regular handwashing could have a major impact on the spread of this virus

Cunco Mon 02-Mar-20 15:44:40

Auntieflo Yes, I was surprised to see a 'CORONAVIRUS' notice in the Gents' toilet at a local garden centre on Saturday. It politely asked customers not to steal the soap dispenser so everyone could wash there hands properly.

At Sainsbury's this morning there was no shortage of bars of soap or soap dispensers so perhaps the garden centre thieves are people who have only just been persuaded to wash their hands!

Auntieflo Mon 02-Mar-20 14:02:43

We had to go to town this morning to collect DH prescription. Afterwards we decided to have coffee in the Waitrose store.
All was well until I decided to use their loo. There was a small queue, as The Ladies, The Gents and the loo for the Disabled, were all Out of Action.
Only the baby changing cubicle was free, and when one Grandma and her young GC came out, she said there was no soap! as it wasn't coming out of the, stand alone dispenser.
I think she went straight off to Customer Services.
When I used the loo, I unscrewed the top, and diluted the remaining soap, a bit, and it worked. I did think some soap would be better than none.
As I left the loo, I did see an assistant arriving with a new bottle of liquid soap.

Cunco Mon 02-Mar-20 13:10:50

My thought was only in respect of tapping instead of cash. Where you use a PIN, just the tip of your finger is exposed.

Of course, unless you wear gloves, you will make contact with other objects. My understanding is, though, that the virus does not live for long on surfaces (according to the World Health Organisation) so some surfaces will pose a lower risk than others. Currency changing hands would not be among them. Transmission of a virus via currency has been discussed in relation to previous viruses; and China and Hong Kong have disinfected currency this time around.

Previously, we did not have the option to tap. Many do now, so where we can, it seems sensible to me to do so.

BlueBelle Mon 02-Mar-20 12:09:08

I m off for lunch with friends and won’t think twice about plates, cutlery or anything else
Just seen my First Lady walking past my house (in this little town that so far is no where near any places that have been mentioned) wearing a very fetching blue face mask
Be sensible but don’t get caught up in this panic

Urmstongran Mon 02-Mar-20 12:03:57

Handwashing for 30 seconds seems sound advice. But what got me thinking just now - off to a restaurant for lunch in a bit and how many of us sit down, pick up cutlery and eat bread etc without washing our hands when we arrive? Most of us I expect. There’d be quite a queue for the sinks!