Gransnet forums

Health

What happens to those on low pay if they are quarantined over coronavirus? Robert Peston asks

(49 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 02-Mar-20 14:10:41

People with coronavirus symptoms are being asked to self-isolate.

A huge under-discussed problem relating to the Covid19 potential crisis is how to give confidence to those on low pay, especially the significant numbers on zero hours contracts in retail and hospitality, that if they self-quarantine they won’t suffer extreme hardship.

I understand the DWP is looking at this.

But the problem is huge and urgent - because to prevent viral spread it really matters that workers don’t fear they’ll run out of money if they don’t work.

Given that older people are especially at risk from the virus, think about the tragic implications if those working in social care don’t self isolate themselves when they are contagious.

It seems to me there are three big and urgent problems:

Encouraging or even obliging companies to remove the requirement for a doctor’s sick note to access statutory sick pay (something shadow health secretary Jon Ashworth mentioned today).

Making sure universal credit is agile enough to top up the pay of those on zero hours or short term contracts when they cannot work, in an expedited way.

Finding a way to compensate the many students and young people who aren’t on universal credit and lose all income when they don’t work in coffee shops, restaurants and so on.

If the government really wants to contain or delay the spread of coronavirus, then it will have to find proper money to compensate those who do the right thing by not working.

And also compensate businesses that can’t trade because they lack a sufficient number of virus-free staff. It won’t be cheap.

Last updated Mon 2 Mar 2020

www.itv.com/news/2020-03-02/what-happens-to-those-on-low-pay-if-they-are-quarantined-over-coronavirus-robert-peston-asks/?fbclid=IwAR1Bdw0AMd3Uje_nOOh7HkiSLjAH4oKWTTGHh8Lc4Urs9QFhr9h_AGGUhac

annep1 Thu 05-Mar-20 15:00:07

I'm no expert Gillybob but that seems very unfair and difficult for small businesses.

gillybob Thu 05-Mar-20 13:48:07

Oh yes annep1 . Back in the day employers could claim SSP back through the PAYE/NI contributions but now all employers (whether you employ 1 person or 1000) have to foot the bill themselves.

annep1 Thu 05-Mar-20 05:56:17

A point I made in my first post "Gillybob". It's never enough. I wasn't aware until now that employers paid it.

gillybob Wed 04-Mar-20 22:56:19

Well at risk of being shot down.

I can’t see the difference to an employee being diagnosed with.....anything and being told that they will only get SSP. £96 per week .

Why should corona “what’s it name” be anything different ?

The government need to step up and I don’t mean SME’s footing the bill either.

MamaCaz Wed 04-Mar-20 22:35:14

Lizbethann55
I am sure I heard a few days ago that children seem to be immune to this illness and that no under 20s have caught it.

I had heard something similar, but heard on Spanish TV today of three children in Spain who have tested positive. The youngest of them is four years old, another 11 years old - I don't know about the other..

Lizbethann55 Wed 04-Mar-20 22:18:03

Does anyone know if pupils from closed schools are told to stay at home and self isolate or are they free to roam the streets and congregate in public spaces?

growstuff Wed 04-Mar-20 21:44:36

Lizbethann Many adults work in schools and I don't think anybody is sure whether children are carriers.

I know that since I retired from working in schools, I haven't had any colds or flu-like illnesses, which I used to have on a regular basis. Presumably I caught nasties from my pupils and colleagues.

growstuff Wed 04-Mar-20 21:41:27

Labaik There would need to be some defined criteria, such as symptoms or proven contact with somebody who's contracted it.

growstuff Wed 04-Mar-20 21:39:21

Urmstongran I think that's a good idea too.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 04-Mar-20 21:32:18

It really is a mess that hasn't been thought through properly and Urms plan of action seems a great idea, so please Um get on the phone and tell good old Boris your plan. I am worried for my daughter that she will end up with no care .

Lizbethann55 Wed 04-Mar-20 20:32:23

I am sure I heard a few days ago that children seem to be immune to this illness and that no under 20s have caught it. If that is true then what is the point of closing schools? Also, my son is an actor. The play he is in has just opened in Doncaster before going on tour. It is a huge break for him so I really hope the authorities don't close the theatres!

Labaik Tue 03-Mar-20 19:43:10

"ZHC, worriers and self employed would all be entitled. Maybe everyone really who is DIAGNOSED with it as a thank you from the country for helping isolate & contain the virus.

Would that work?"
..but what would happen to someone that feels ill, self isolates and then it turns out that they didn't have the virus?

annep1 Tue 03-Mar-20 18:14:26

I agree with Urmstongran there needs to be a guaranteed payment for those who have to miss work whether because they have CV or just have to self isolate., enough to cover their loss. Will it happen? I very much doubt it.

knickas63 Tue 03-Mar-20 15:58:24

QuizQueen - you really sound quite sour. Minimum wage -0 hour contract employees struggle on the bare minmum. A basic phone (all are smartphones) is a necessity today and yes - Sky TV may be a 'luxury' but again, few people watch terrestrial TV nowadays, and if you can't afford to go out, or on holiday, I certainly don't begrudge the small pleasure of decent entertainment. savings them selves are a luxery that is beyond many. If you look at the amount being spent on MP's and Government freebies and supprt from big businesses, then why not expect instead a little support for the people who keep the country running in a crisis!

Urmstongran Tue 03-Mar-20 15:45:25

Why I thank you GagaJo!
?

I think it would cost the government buttons in the big sea, (at the moment 51 x £2,000) would not be discriminatory as it would indeed be classed as a ‘thank you’ payment. Not means tested, no form filling as the doctor would be able to authorise it out of a specific fund.

Actually I might just give Matt Hancock a quick call ...

GagaJo Tue 03-Mar-20 15:34:16

Urmstongran, that is such a sensible idea. Far too sensible for a politician to come up with!

Chewbacca, I think that generosity calls for a pasty to celebrate!

Urmstongran Tue 03-Mar-20 13:36:46

The U.K. now has 51 confirmed cases.

Chewbacca Tue 03-Mar-20 13:20:58

Greggs Bakery have just confirmed that they will honour wages to any member of staff who has to self isolate. Good on 'em.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51718074

Urmstongran Tue 03-Mar-20 13:11:17

Unusual times call for unusual measures. I think if a person is diagnosed with the virus the physician who tells him or her of the need ought to be able to ring a designated CV19 hotline and, quoting a GMC registration plus a password - give the patient’s NHS number and bank details for a one off payment of say £2k to amply cover absence from work for the patient.

ZHC, worriers and self employed would all be entitled. Maybe everyone really who is DIAGNOSED with it as a thank you from the country for helping isolate & contain the virus.

Would that work?

annep1 Tue 03-Mar-20 11:26:23

People need to do more than exist, ie get some enjoyment from life. No need to justify.

Doodledog Tue 03-Mar-20 10:27:29

CassieJ, please don't feel that you should justify your (earned) spending to other people. What you choose to buy with your own money is entirely up to you.

When we go down the road of deciding what others 'should' do we are in serious trouble, as either we need a labyrinthine legal system or anarchy.

As things stand, there will be those who perfectly legitimately have no savings, and it is important for national security that they feel able to self-isolate should the need arise.

Pontificating about their spending habits will only slow down the point at which we might be able to contain the spread of the virus, so let's hope that the government has more sense.

annep1 Tue 03-Mar-20 09:52:46

As I've said before SSP isn't enough at any time. But it's always been like that.
QQ isn't even worth commenting on.

Our government needs to make sure people are ok. It's their job.
They should be doing the same for those in the flood areas. I feel so sory for them.

CassieJ Tue 03-Mar-20 09:34:56

This worries me, if I have to taken time off if my work place closes and I don't get paid. I work in a school as support staff on minimum wage, so it is possible that we may close as other schools have done.
I couldn't survive on SSP, and even to try to claim any help on benefits would take weeks. Virus isn't in our area yet, so live in hope it stays away.
Quiz queen very easy to say we should have savings, life doesn't always work out like that. I am single, divorced, on minimum wage. There is nothing left over for savings. I don't have Sky, have the cheapest mobile sim, don't smoke, rarely go out, don't ever have takeaways, car is 10 years old, so what would you suggest I cut back on?

Urmstongran Tue 03-Mar-20 07:37:57

Not just zero hours workers it will affect. What about the self employed? If you are a one-man band as say, a plumber or decorator and you can’t work = no wages.

Daisymae Tue 03-Mar-20 07:25:51

Hancock says that people should get sick pay if self isolating, he doesn't get that some people don't get paid for 3 days then get SSP only which is very little.