Gransnet forums

Health

Just been diagnosed with Shingles

(13 Posts)
oscaro11 Thu 05-Mar-20 10:50:58

Forgot to add, take lots of rest as it really drains you for several weeks. Lots of information on the NHS website too which I found very useful. If you are working, get signed off for at least two weeks so you can rest.

oscaro11 Thu 05-Mar-20 10:48:04

I’ve had it twice, first time two years ago was awful. I was climbing the walls with the pain, worst thing ever. I had anti viral tablets plus strong painkillers from my GP. It took a good few weeks to feel better. Use calamine lotion on the rash. It helps to dry it up. Also, some gel I bought at the chemist for children with chicken pox also helped. Go back to your GP if you don’t feel better. Mine was very good, possibly because I don’t go there often so they knew it must be something for me to book an appointment ! I had it again last November but much milder. I can’t wait to get the shingles jab but I’ve got to be 70 and I’m not there yet.
Good luck.

harrigran Tue 03-Mar-20 22:45:41

I have had shingles twice and the pain was horrendous, mine was round my waist and down my right side. The blisters took a month to subside and the pain lasted three months. I tried to keep away from GD because she had not had chicken pox.
Treatment is Acyclovir but must be commenced within 72 hours of first symptoms. Sadly I could not convince the Dr that I was suffering from shingles and they fobbed me off.

brook2704 Tue 03-Mar-20 21:21:56

Awww mooM00 so sorry to hear that you’ve got shingles.
It’s a really awful illness. I had it just over 2 years ago, a very painful rash on my back and side. I got the antivirals which helped but I felt really awful for at least a month. The worst thing was the pain with the rash - that lasted the longest but it went away eventually and luckily I’ve recovered well. Unfortunately despite being very careful or so I thought, I did pass the virus onto 2 of my GC who got chickenpox about 3 weeks after I was diagnosed with shingles. I think you can pass it on whilst the rash is still appearing.
I do hope you start feeling better soon and you get all the rest you can ?

TwiceAsNice Tue 03-Mar-20 15:26:35

I have had it twice on my face in the same place. My GP gave me anti viral tablets and as it was near my eye had me return to see him the next day in case I needed to go to the eye clinic. I took ibuprofen for the pain and felt unwell for about a week then much better. I was also very tired

LadyGracie Tue 03-Mar-20 13:57:53

When DH was teaching he was signed off for 2 weeks, it can be extremely painful, as I'm sure yours must be.

I hope you're soon feeling better.

Bbarb Tue 03-Mar-20 13:51:01

I got some medication called something like aklovar (?) which really helped within 24hrs. Apparently the virus likes warm moist places (!) Poor you!
Mine was on my face and they were concerned about my left eye, and I wore gloves to remind me not to touch my face. You have chosen a much more uncomfortable place, how horrible for you.
Although its years ago, I still sometimes get shooting pains along the path where it was so lets hope you're spared that.

JenniferEccles Tue 03-Mar-20 13:36:20

That was my understanding too Poppyred, that it’s not possible to pass shingles on to anyone, unlike chicken pox of course.

I hope you get more replies MooMOO
The Health thread is dominated by the dreaded Coronavirus at the moment isn’t it?!!

Poppyred Tue 03-Mar-20 13:31:31

I meant to say pass on chickenpox, you cant pass on shingles to anyone else.

Poppyred Tue 03-Mar-20 13:30:27

Were you given antiviral meds off the doc? You have to have direct contact with the shingles rash to pass it on to anyone else, but rest and hopefully you will feel better soon.

JenniferEccles Tue 03-Mar-20 13:19:44

Were you given any medication at all? I believe there is something which helps but only if it is started as soon as possible.

I really sympathise. I have had shingles and it is awful, but it does calm down after a few days.

I was vaccinated against it last year. I did tell the nurse that I had already had a bout of it years ago but it’s possible to get it more than once.

I hope you feel better soon!

endlessstrife Tue 03-Mar-20 12:30:03

Aww, poor you, it is horrible. You need to keep away from people for a few weeks, or until all symptoms and spots have gone. Off the shelf pain killers should help, when the pain goes is different for everyone I think. I’ve never had it myself, but I know two people who have, and they’re both young, mid twenties and thirties. I hope it’s over soon for you, and you start to feel much better.

MooM00 Mon 02-Mar-20 21:59:39

Hello, has anyone of you suffered with Shingles. I was diagnosed today, I am in disbelief of the pain and being uncomfortable. The rash is right in my groin and unfortunately in my girly bits. ( sorry about that information ) How long does it take to feel better and the pain disappear. Normally I would be looking after my GS but he has never had chicken pox also my Son in law has been off work for 9 months with very bad leg ulcers on both legs hence his immune system is very low. I don’t know how long I should stay away from them. I would be very greatful to hear if you have had any experience with Shingles.