Gransnet forums

Health

DIY hand sanitizer

(9 Posts)
Bathsheba Thu 05-Mar-20 12:49:05

I came across this one on FB: One part aloe vera gel to three parts surgical spirit, plus a few drops of essential oil. I believe this mixture will give the right percentage of alcohol.

Baggs Thu 05-Mar-20 12:42:40

I use gin to disinfect tick bites, of which I usually get plenty every summer. Don't worry, it's cheap gin, some I bought years and years ago when I was making sloe gin with the sloes that grew around my allotment. I had a little more than was needed so the remaining bottle has been used as a disinfectant. The bottle's going down very slowly. The sloe gin is all drunk long since.

rockgran Thu 05-Mar-20 12:29:28

We don't drink now but I still have a bottle of vodka - may come in useful!

grannyqueenie Thu 05-Mar-20 12:26:00

Daisymae oh I know that feeling. My heart sank last night when the old boy said we had a leak under the sink, thankfully it was a false alarm. Since I’d cleared the under sink cupboard to check it out thought I would give it a quick clean and tidy it up. Who knew a little bottle of hand sanitizer could give so much pleasure!!
#itsthesmallthings grin

Daisymae Thu 05-Mar-20 11:38:55

I found a little bottle of gel in the bottom of my bag, felt like I'd won the lottery!

Elegran Thu 05-Mar-20 11:21:14

If you absolutely HAVE to make your own, the World Health Organisation has two recipes for sanitising hand-rubs (pre-dating the current coronavirus outbreak) and a lot of stuff about care while making it. It is 60%, but if soap and water are not available nothing else is available it could be better than staying dirty - and possibly proportions could be changed to make it 70%. The amount that their quantities produce is more for a community project, but the principles are made clear, and the reasons for each ingredient. For instance, the hydrogen peroxide mentioned elsewhere is for sterilising any bacteria that may linger in the mix, not as part of the active ingredients .
www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Local_Production.pdf

Quote from WHO page -

“Efficacy
It is the consensus opinion of a WHO expert group that WHO-recommended hand-rub formulations can be used both for hygienic hand antisepsis and for pre-surgical hand preparation.

Hygienic hand-rub
The microbicidal activity of the two WHO-recommended formulations was tested by WHO reference laboratories according to EN standards (EN 1500). Their activity was found to be equivalent to the reference substance (isopropanol 60% v/v) for hygienic hand antisepsis.”

GagaJo Wed 04-Mar-20 09:49:11

I suspect that would be an integral part of the process!

Greeneyedgirl Wed 04-Mar-20 09:44:38

Is the vodka at least 60% alcohol?? You'd be better off just drinking it grin

GagaJo Wed 04-Mar-20 09:36:08

Vodka
Aloe Vera
Lavender oil
Tea tree oil

Personally, I'd sanitize my hands and then my insides with some of the vodka. You can never be too safe!

www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/wellness/g20706539/how-to-make-a-natural-hand-sanitizer/?fbclid=IwAR2o_V5H5-dvG3_z7qcdVD9oEcOrykhNITqRpu7qA3KUMa3I3ZRnVcNWCTA