Gransnet forums

Health

GORD and trying to lose weight

(12 Posts)
kissngate Sun 08-Mar-20 18:30:33

I was diagnosed with Gord, HH and gallstones all at the same time around six years ago. Prescribed a high dose of Lanzaprazole which gave me serious vertigo after six months. Dr. put me on Omeprazole like you but got terrible headaches after a week so stopped taking them. Did a lot of research on the net and found someone highly recommended a Peppermint Oil capsule, Aloe Vera tablet plus a probiotic capsule daily. Spoke to my Dr. and he was very supportive. Said he had heard good reports from IBS and gallstones patients regarding Peppermint. I have not taken a NSAID since. I avoid onions, leeks, all shop bought pastry, extremely spicy food, eating late in the evening, rarely have anything fried. Occasionally take a Rennies in the night. I'm not slim (size 16) but walk every day with the dog and try to visit gym once a week.

growstuff Sat 07-Mar-20 20:56:48

Taking omeprazole long-term can also decrease absorption of Vitamin B12. You need to have your red blood cells checked.

BradfordLass73 Sat 07-Mar-20 11:11:54

Slippery Elm is far better than Omeprazole as it also heals.

Side effects of Omeprazole can include:
headache.
abdominal pain.
diarrhea.
nausea.
vomiting.
flatulence
dizziness.
upper respiratory infection (last thing you need if corona strikes).

Eat healthy, lots of vegies and fruits, limit your carbs, exercise and aim for better health when weight loss isn't possible (as 98% of dieters discover)

mumofmadboys Sat 07-Mar-20 08:45:01

A walk for half an hour every day is a good start and then trying to eat less generally. Expect occasional bad days but each day is a new beginning!

NanKate Sat 07-Mar-20 07:48:58

Almost 2 years ago I started the thread ‘I’m a Pear’ and now ‘I’m a Pear the Sequel’ relating to body shape. A number of us have stuck together in our quest to lose weight. We all use our own systems. For me I followed the NHS calorie counting diet and then I moved onto portion control. So now I eat whatever I want in smaller portions. I weight about 10 stone and have been 12 and a half stone.

I started walking every day for 20 minutes and continue with that as being the norm.

If you want to live longer, feel better and have less illness losing weight is the answer. ‘I’m a Pear the sequel’ is friendly, supportive and non judgemental, you have nothing to lose except weight. Come and join us.

Fellsidegruffalo Sat 07-Mar-20 06:36:53

For me the key was starting to ramp up the exercise first. Whilst it doesn’t help you lose weight, as that is mostly food changes, it really lifted my mood and also meant that smaller food changes made a difference quicker.
Given it’s best to go to bed several hours after your last meal to reduce reflux, I always thought some level of intermittent fasting would be a good option? Even sticking to a 12:12 eating window is shown to have an impact.

SallyB392 Sat 07-Mar-20 00:11:38

It's really simple. Stop eating any foods that come out of a packet or are cooked in oil or batter. Cut your portions by half, and even if its dancing in the shower, exercise!

Sansalina Thu 05-Mar-20 19:42:27

I’ve the same issues as original writer, having put on 50 lbs in 5 years. I’m 63, we live on an island, and I have no friends. My son marries 10/10/2020, I must lose weight and get myself together. Ideas from members would be super.

Aglassofroseplease Thu 05-Mar-20 11:18:25

Thank you both of you. I’ll look at the pear thread. I’m so fed of battling away with symptoms and trying to work out and avoid triggers and feeling fat and bloated - my clothes are all too tight and I’m not going to go out and buy any bigger ones.

I’ve been looking at the fast 800 diet as it seems to be low carb and healthy eating. I won’t do the fasting as it’s not recommended with GORD - there’s a non fast option though.

merlotgran Thu 05-Mar-20 10:16:08

DH has GORD as well as other health issues and needs to lose weight. He put on a stone towards the end of last year due mainly to inactivity.

Rosemary Conley's Hip and Thigh diet has been recommended by another GORD sufferer. Low fat and high fibre. It's more or less the way we eat anyway but might be worth considering.

Hope you get the advice and support you are looking for. As MiniMoon says, Have a look at the 'I'm a pear' thread.

MiniMoon Thu 05-Mar-20 10:10:20

I don't have a hiatus hernia, but I do have reflux problems. My main triggers are onions and tomatoes, fatty meat isn't good either, so I try to limit my intake of lamb and pork.
I could do with losing a stone in weight, and have begun by cutting down drastically on the carbohydrates that I eat. Bread is my downfall! I've been trying this for about a month now and have managed to lose two pounds. I know it isn't much but it's two pounds less than I was.
Have a look at the "I'm a pear" thread. It's good to know that there are lots of us who are trying to diet. I've had some really good ideas from the other gransnetters on there.

Aglassofroseplease Thu 05-Mar-20 09:51:24

I put this on the dieting forum but got no responses so I thought I’d try putting it on here
I was diagnosed a year ago with GORD (Gastro oesophageal reflux disease) and a hiatus hernia by endoscopy and I'm two stone overweight and I know that it makes my symptoms worse and all the advice tells you to lose weight. I'm on omeprazole 20 mg daily which helps but I know being 2 stone overweight makes it worse,

I can't seem to get myself motivated to stay on a weight loss diet - I try for a few days then give it up. Perhaps I’m being perverse? I know I'm making my symptoms worse, not to mention the long term effects on my health and fitness. I'm careful to avoid eating food that i know triggers my GORD but I'm no good with a diet

Can anyone advise me on how to lose some weight and what worked for you with GORD ?

thanks for any advice