Gransnet forums

Health

Scots dementia expert says coronavirus outbreak could be 'quite useful' as it will kill off hospital bed blockers

(93 Posts)
SirChenjin Fri 06-Mar-20 18:18:47

Interesting choice of words from Prof Andrews who has caused quite a stir.

What do you think?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18286627.watch-former-nursing-chiefs-horrific-coronavirus-bed-blocking-comments/

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 20:43:28

Yes, the clue is often in the title.

Perhaps start another thread on what is bothering you and leave this one to those who are bothered by this woman whose ideas have been presented to your Government, paddyanne?

SirChenjin Sun 08-Mar-20 20:12:50

Yes, you're right paddyanne - this thread isn't about WM and the clue was in the title.

The fact that she is an EX employee is irrelevent as has already been explained to you a few times now and if this thread is 'just words' to you then that's your problem.

paddyanne Sun 08-Mar-20 20:03:36

Are you equally incensed about the 178,000 deaths attributed to the DWP ? Actual deaths ,not just words.I'd guess not .Maybe complain to WM about them when you get over a few words for someone who is an EX government employee .

I suppose the clue was in the title .

Fennel Sun 08-Mar-20 18:45:09

"Some things should not be said out loud."
Exactly timetogo.
It depends on how you think about death. Especially at my age, with all the aches and pains.

POGS Sun 08-Mar-20 17:35:44

janeinsworth

Thank you.

Unless Gagajo comes up with ' factual' evidence to set me straight I will consider yet another conspiracy theory believed by some.

timetogo2016 Sun 08-Mar-20 14:11:04

Well she wouldn`t be on my dinner party list for sure.
Some things should not be said out loud.

janeainsworth Sun 08-Mar-20 13:58:04

POGS I thought that was fake news too.
www.factcheck.org/2020/01/coronavirus-wasnt-sent-by-spy-from-canada/

POGS Sun 08-Mar-20 11:59:40

Gagajo

' I agree with the germ warfare comment. The virus didn't originate in that wet market. It started in a Canadian lab, was stolen by two secret agents who were then expelled from Canada and was worked on in a Chinese lab. This knowledge has been in several academic articles online. Pretty sure they didn't mean it to escape in China, but as for the west...'
----

Can you provide' factual ' evidence to backup your statement.

SirChenjin Sun 08-Mar-20 11:53:37

Now, now ananimous - be kind (or whatever it was you were calling for recently).

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 11:35:52

Sorry! ananimous

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 11:35:26

How do you know anything about what any poster does, grapefruitpip?

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 11:34:15

As usual, your posts add nothing whatsoever to any thread, unanimous.

Pointless.

ananimous Sun 08-Mar-20 11:29:40

Oh put away your faux concerns...

Not one of you will pick up a pen, or shoot off an email to their elected official because of this bristling indignation. A quick gossip to show how many scruples you have. - "If you got 'em, you can bet they belong to somebody else."

SirChenjin Sun 08-Mar-20 11:21:18

says something which is forensically correct but which is without thought or a hint of compassion for those who may be affected

Exactly that. She’s put out a statement entitled “Thwarted the attempt to bury me. But it was never about me, anyway” hmm No apologies or reflection on her poor choice of words, simply puffed up self-pride in her own determination and abilities to shake things up and ask the difficult questions. She’s just not getting it, is she.

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 11:06:01

Ps I should have added and, if challenged, bristles with indignation because what he has said is factual, cold and clinical without thought for human lives affected.

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 11:03:33

Is this thread on Twitter yet?
I hope she reads it.

I agree with your posts, SirChenjin.

bristling with indignation that describes the person I know exactly too; says something which is forensically correct but which is without thought or a hint of compassion for those who may be affected.

SirChenjin Sun 08-Mar-20 10:58:32

This EX employee of the Scottish government has no power and little influence so dismiss her words

That’s absolutely untrue paddyanne. I’m not sure in what capacity you came across her previously but I can assure you she is very influential in the field of dementia both at home and abroad. If you look at her Twitter posts and her website she’s bristling with indignation at being criticised for her comments.

You’re right jane - health and social care are completely devolved.

Alexa Sun 08-Mar-20 10:54:53

That is a true proposition. That she said it in public was impolitic of her and one does not know what she intended by it.

It was also perhaps unwise as it tends to justify involuntary euthanasia. Like most others I want voluntary euthanasia not involuntary killing by disease. however as an old person at the end of life I'd rather die of Covid19 than bowel cancer.

ananimous Sun 08-Mar-20 10:51:36

I think there are easier ways to "off" expensive citizens, without torpedo-ing the world economy.

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 10:50:55

janea thank you.
That is a relief for those of us in Wales too if she is advising the Scottish Parliament, which is solely responsible for devolved health and social care.

janeainsworth Sun 08-Mar-20 10:47:57

Paddyanne this is how Prof Andrews is described in the article Prof Andrews is a former director of the Scottish Government’s Centre for Change and Innovation. She was also previously the Scottish Secretary of the Royal College of Nursing and the director of nursing at NHS Forth Valley

Rather more significant than your somewhat dismissive description of her as an ‘ex-NHS employee’.

She was addressing the Public Audit Committee at Holyrood. Perhaps that doesn’t give her power, but it certainly gives her influence.

I’m not sure what you’re implying by your remark about people at Westminster having power. As I understand it, the Scottish government has complete autonomy over health & social care provision in Scotland.

But the corollary of that I suppose is that we in England need not worry that we might be affected by her chilling opinions.

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 10:36:19

You keep dismissing her as an ex-employee, paddyanne, and I hope you're right regarding her power and influence but I thought that she was an extremely influential adviser and her views were normally taken seriously not just in Scotland but internationally.

Perhaps she is very forceful and people feel obliged to listen!

paddyanne Sun 08-Mar-20 10:29:58

The best doctor I ever had was like this,he had no filter whatsoever .I thought he was brilliant ,others were offended by him ,some just hated him .If we worry about everything anyone says in public we'd all go mad.This EX employee of the Scottish government has no power and little influence so dismiss her words.
There are far worse things to worry about ,WM is full of folk who think like this and they DO have power

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 09:58:23

That crossed my mind immediately, M0nica.
We know someone like this, fearsomely intelligent but logical to the point of cruelty in what he says. Undiagnosed though, as far as we know.

M0nica Sun 08-Mar-20 09:30:34

I am left wondering whether this lady is autistic. What she says is absolutely accurate, but she fails to see the effect of what she says.

I make this suggestion very tentively. It is just I was reading an article about Chris Packham, whose autism wasn't identified until he was in his 40s, He has exactly the same straight line thinking, that fails to see the effect of just following a line of thought to a logical conclusion can have on people.