Gransnet forums

Health

Italian lockdown

(90 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 08-Mar-20 09:19:42

Seems that all of northern Italy is now in lockdown. However during the night the roads and trains were packed with people escaping to the south. No prizes for guessing what's going to happen next.

Daisymae Wed 11-Mar-20 14:43:46

See that the foreign office have advised all nationals to return return home.

tickingbird Wed 11-Mar-20 12:18:04

Sorry typos - posts

tickingbird Wed 11-Mar-20 12:17:38

I’ve just read Boris isn’t to be tested. I don’t understand why. If he’s been in contact with ND he must be tested. Also the pists from the Italian doctor brought tears to my eyes. It is becoming more scary by the day.

Dee1012 Wed 11-Mar-20 12:07:21

kissngate, normally I'm very wary of Facebook / Twitter posts but I think the background of those posting was genuine and not scaremongering for the sake of it.

MotherHubbard Wed 11-Mar-20 12:02:00

Daisymae ‘A few days ago Johnson said on TV that we should 'take it on the chin without taking Draconian action' ‘

Not that I’m a huge fan of Boris but according to full fact.org the transcript shows he was answering a question from Philip Schofield about taking action now or delaying it and what he actually said was ‘ and one of the theories is, that perhaps you could take it on the chin’ but he goes on to say ‘ I think we need to strike a balance’and ‘ I think it would be better if we take all the measures that we can to stop the peak of the disease being as difficult for the NHS as it might fullfact.org/health/boris-johnson-coronavirus-this-morning/

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Mar-20 11:49:36

Nadine Dories has been tested positive for Covid-19 she has been self isolating since Friday.

On Thursday it is being reported that she attended a Cabinet Meeting and a reception at No.10, along with being in H of P and meeting constituents.

The MPs and people she met whilst she was incubating the virus will be traced and I assume be told to self isolate. Today is budget day Parliament will be packed, all the MPs she met/came into contact with will be there.

Am I the only one that thinks this is ludicrous.......an incubator for the virus?

kissngate Wed 11-Mar-20 11:41:14

Dee12 - that's the most frightening article I've read to date. Just forwarded to family as a wake up call. I've had pneumonia twice in past 20 years now v worried. Thanks for sharing.

jusnoneed Wed 11-Mar-20 11:25:49

My son works in the UK for and Italian helicopter company, their lorries from Italy have been stopped from travelling here. Don't know how long it will last, much needed parts.

Dee1012 Wed 11-Mar-20 11:12:29

I came across this on Twitter....it makes pretty awful reading;
twitter.com/silviast9/status/1236933818654896129

Blinko Wed 11-Mar-20 11:09:34

This Government is anxious to keep the business community on side and to protect the economy - at all costs, it seems.

Banning travel, movement and large gatherings, etc. would do more to halt the spread, imo. They're not doing that because of the potential economic impact.

Looks to me like they're thinking we'll all get it anyway so what's the point in doing anything other than telling people to wash their hands.

Yogadatti Wed 11-Mar-20 10:56:33

This country could have shut the borders two weeks ago. Nationals coming back could have been put in isolation. We have left the EU, and have control of our borders now. As usual government waiting until thousands of people infected before taking proper action. China and South Korea have drastically cut infections by severe actions and Israel only has 72 cases because it has virtually stopped people coming in.

Proves my point!

maddyone Wed 11-Mar-20 10:21:03

That is very difficult to understand GrannyGravy
I also do not understand why when people were brought home from China they were put into quarantine, but last week, whilst northern Italy was on lockdown, why planes were going backwards and forwards to northern Italy and taking people there and bringing them back with no quarantine and not even a temperature check.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Mar-20 10:12:39

A female caller on Jeremy Vine Show this morning was saying that her husband drives lorries to and from Italy every week importing fruit and veg. He has not been stopped, does not self isolate for the few days he is in UK before returning to Italy.

Either I do not fully understand Italy is on lockdown or this is just a phrase to appease the masses?

hugshelp Wed 11-Mar-20 09:45:37

The UK ranks poorly against Italy, and a lot of other countries in terms of critical care beds per capita. Ireland, Scotland and Wales are almost at the bottom.

The facilities available in intensive care units is also an important factor. The low mortality rates in mainland China outside Hubei province (around 1%) have been attributed to widespread use of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) when ventilation doesn’t work. The mortality rate has been observed to be much higher (3.2%) in Italy where this treatment isn’t as widely available, even though the number of ICU beds per 100,000 people in Italy (12.5) is higher than the European average (11.5).

There are no ECMO facilities available in Northern Ireland, Scotland, or Wales. There are currently only 15 beds in all of the UK that offer this treatment across hospitals in London, Cambridge, Manchester and Leicester, although this can be increased in an emergency; there were 30 beds available at the peak of the 2018-19 winter flu season. ECMO is also provided at the Mater Hospital in Dublin; there are seven available beds in that ICU.

sluggerotoole.com/2020/03/04/northern-ireland-scotland-and-wales-rank-amongst-the-lowest-countries-in-the-developed-world-for-the-number-of-intensive-care-beds/

vegansrock Wed 11-Mar-20 07:33:01

Italy gets far more tourists than any other country in Europe, many of them from China, and it has one of the oldest populations in Europe , which perhaps explains why unluckily it has been hit so hard. My relatives are ok and all being well we will visit in the autumn now. Interestingly, an elderly aunt goes into an old people’s home for a couple of months in the winter ( she comes home when the weather is warmer) and no visitors are now allowed. Maybe the U.K. should follow suit.,

LadyKathleen Tue 10-Mar-20 22:08:34

Artols, I think I would probably cancel the trip. Our news station reported that Italy was just behind in China in the percentage of those who have contracted the virus. I'd want to be home if I suddenly tested positive for the disease.

GagaJo Tue 10-Mar-20 12:02:40

I find it terrifying that we have a PM that is not capable of leading us. S*d politics, but we need a leader!

Anyone that can steer the UK through this crisis will have their political position assured for the foreseeable.

Daisymae Tue 10-Mar-20 09:47:12

Have been looking about and I can answer my own question as to why the government is not taking action. A few days ago Johnson said on TV that we should 'take it on the chin without taking Draconian action' so there you have it from the horses mouth. Let it spread and do nothing is government policy. I think we should worry

Lucca Tue 10-Mar-20 09:32:01

Good post daisy mae

Daisymae Tue 10-Mar-20 09:14:14

I have seen people question elsewhere why is Italy struggling with so many cases. Others have answered that initially people did not take it too seriously 'its just the flu' and more or less carried on as normal. I don't know personally if that's the case. But Italy is a much visited country so seems likely that the infection got established early on. Italy apparently has an excellent healthcare system and yet is close to it's limit in the north. I am at a loss to understand why more intensive measures have not been taken to reduce the spread here. I think that we have to take responsibility for our own health and do whatever we think right to reduce the spread.

Lucca Tue 10-Mar-20 09:01:56

Indeed!

sodapop Tue 10-Mar-20 08:36:27

There's irony for you Lucca smile

Lucca Tue 10-Mar-20 08:26:31

Poor italy I feel very sad about it. Does anyone here know of people,starting to cancel activities such as knitting groups bridge clubs etc given their usual demographic? I gather the committee of a club I go to is meeting tonight to discuss it

travelsafar Tue 10-Mar-20 08:03:23

Does this lockdown mean no one is going to work apart from essential services???

Ellianne Tue 10-Mar-20 07:39:27

I think some airlines will find cabin crew and pilots refusing to work soon, then there will be no flights anyway.