Gransnet forums

Health

How old is your hip replacement?

(19 Posts)
tanith Sun 08-Mar-20 09:27:22

Just that really, my first one is 16+ yrs now I’m just curious what others experiences are I was told 15 to 20 yrs longevity by my surgeon I’m hoping mine goes on for a while yet.

NotSpaghetti Sun 08-Mar-20 10:39:03

I recently had an appointment with a consultant who said to generally expect them to last 15 years but he would hope for 20.
This seems much as you were told 16 years ago.

Fennel Sun 08-Mar-20 12:05:51

I had mine done in 2006 so I'm also hoping it lasts for some time yet.
Why should they wear out?
As long as we try to stay active and keep the supporting muscles in fair condition.
And maybe it depends on risk of osteoporosis and falls in old age.

MrsJamJam Sun 08-Mar-20 14:31:57

Mine is coming up to its first birthday and going strong. OH's is 16+ and no sign of a problem - but his knees are a bit dodgy!

Charleygirl5 Sun 08-Mar-20 15:13:07

tanith you have done extremely well with your THR. You will be very lucky if you hit 20 years but here's hoping.

Some people have falls which do not appear to have done any damage but unfortunately the cement loosens slightly although it may not be seen on xray.

Sar53 Sun 08-Mar-20 15:18:39

My husband had both of his hips replaced in his 30's. He has had both of them replaced again in his 60's. Each one lasted between 20 and 25 years. Is this a record !!! ???

Charleygirl5 Sun 08-Mar-20 15:27:22

I would say definitely close. Does he have RA?

tanith Sun 08-Mar-20 15:29:37

That’s fantastic Sar53 well done to your husband I hope I have as good an outcome.
Thanks Charleygirl5 I’ll keep my falls to an absolutely minimum ?

MrsEggy Sun 08-Mar-20 15:31:47

My old Mom had a new hip when she was 67. It was still ok when she died at 89, It was one of the early "Charnleys", well made, I think.

Sar53 Sun 08-Mar-20 15:33:52

Not RA but osteoarthritis. He played a lot of Rugby as a young man which may have contributed. He recovered from both operations remarkably well as he had to have bone grafts to hold the new hips in place.
He finds it hard to bend down and cannot put his own socks on, but he has me to help.

Fennel Sun 08-Mar-20 16:15:33

Your husband has done well, Sar53. smilei hope mine lasts that long.
As MrsEggy says, it could also depend on the material the hip is made from.
Hoping not to scare anyone, but on another forum I heard of someone who had a hip replacement and after a while it started to disintegrate due to the type of material. Which I hope has been banned now.

Fennel Sun 08-Mar-20 16:17:51

ps "i hope mine lasts that long." I mean my hip, my husband too!

Charleygirl5 Sun 08-Mar-20 16:24:51

Fennel the cement or whatever is now used does not last forever and can be a contributory cause to the breakdown. I agree, the Charnely hip was a really good model. A lot also depends on who does the surgery.

I have been out of it too long to know/remember how long the cementless models last.

SueDonim Sun 08-Mar-20 17:50:41

My mum has had her ‘new’ hip for about twelve years. It’s still fine, not giving her any trouble. I recently read that many replacement hips go on giving sterling service for many more years than originally anticipated.

I suppose when new medical procedures are introduced, they don’t necessarily know how long they will be of benefit. Although not a joint op, a friend had an operation in 1991 that was in the forefront of technology. She was only the ninth person to have the operation and the most optimistic prognosis was that it would last ten years. Here we are, almost three decades on, she’s travelled the world, had two children, holds down a busy job and is as fit and healthy as anyone else!

watermeadow Sun 08-Mar-20 20:41:19

I had mine done comparatively early, at 51, which was 24 years ago. I don’t think it would have lasted so long if I was still as active as I was then but we usually slow down in old age.

annodomini Sun 08-Mar-20 21:15:36

Mine is 15 years old (I'm now 79) and still going strong, though I don't walk as much as I'd like because my knees and left foot are a bit dodgy.

Ohmother Sun 08-Mar-20 23:46:44

Mines in its 8th year. It’s cheered me up to learn it may go on past the given date of 10 years. It’s fantastic! I jog, have climbed a mountain and rode horses. Long live my hip!!!

JuliaM Mon 09-Mar-20 00:11:09

My daughter needs a hip replacement due to damage from sports injuries, she’s only 32 yrs old, and has undergone several surgeries including a Bone shave procedure to smooth and reline the hip head ball joint last year, but this was not the success that she had hoped for. Her surgeon has said that she could require upto three hip replacement operations during her lifetime, but with advanced techniques in surgery, the operation is far less hazardous and with a higher level of success rates than it was over ten years ago. The latest hip replacements are done using keyhole surgery, resulting in less tissue damage, tiny incision scars in comparison to conventional techniques, and a much faster recovery time back to a decent level, of Mobility.

tanith Mon 09-Mar-20 07:15:45

Thanks everyone it’s good to hear all the different experiences. Here’s hoping my hip continues to behave.