Gransnet forums

Health

Sudden onset arthritis.

(10 Posts)
gillyknits Mon 09-Mar-20 18:10:54

Oh dear FlexibleFriend ,that sounds absolutely awful. I’m nowhere near as bad as that and really feel for you being in such pain and with a disability.

FlexibleFriend Mon 09-Mar-20 12:59:24

I woke up at 2 am on 10/11/2017 with terrible pain in my right knee and it's been downhill ever since. I can no longer use my legs and my right arm is badly affected but mine has been caused by my auto immune condition and there's no hope of improvement. Apparently mine is osteo arthritis caused by my condition and I have no cartilage left in my knees at all, my left hip or right elbow and shoulder.Oddly my ankles and feet seem fine as does my right hip at the moment but I get some pain in my left arm and shoulder and both wrists.

gillyknits Mon 09-Mar-20 12:41:05

Think I must have GOK too Florida9. Blood tests all normal except a slight rise of Uric acid (gout) Dr. obviously likes a challenge and is sending me for x rays to see if there are any physical changes.

Floradora9 Sun 08-Mar-20 19:28:35

I suddenly developed pain in just about every joint in my body. Some days it was my wrists , some days ankles and it was really painful. Went to the GP who did blood tests which came back normal ( no inflamation ) so we decided it was down to GOK ( God only knows) but he did say it could happen after a virus even one you did not know you had. I had to get strong painkillers to help. Last week Monday was terrible then the rest of the week it was mostly OK .

SalsaQueen Sun 08-Mar-20 15:55:34

A lady at the sheltered housing scheme I work at had the same thing, in December. I suggested she ask her GP for a blood test. She did, and it turns out she's got POLYMYALGIA RHEUMATICA. She's now on Prednisolone (steroids) tablets and the improvement is marvellous. She's now got no pain or stiffness and is back to her usual self.

Grandmafrench Sun 08-Mar-20 15:53:06

Poor you. I am currently experiencing a problem with a big toe. Stopped me walking for a few days and kept me awake at night. Other foot - ankle also playing up from an old fracture in my youth. Think a sign of Arthritis can be when crystals form around a joint like the big toe joint and, certainly, when pain lessens or disappears once we are fully mobile. Problem is that we're punished for sitting down and therefore need to be moving around constantly dawn 'til bedtime in order to stay comfortable!! Going to see my Doc this week and if anything interesting is revealed, will let you know.

gillyknits Sun 08-Mar-20 15:49:34

Had a blood test and am waiting for the results. Just wondered if anyone had anything similar. Strange to come on overnight like that.

Juliet27 Sun 08-Mar-20 15:45:07

I do think this awful winter weather we’ve had has made any tendency to arthritis far worse.

M0nica Sun 08-Mar-20 15:39:23

Have you seen your GP?

gillyknits Sun 08-Mar-20 15:32:57

I woke up one morning about two months ago with terrible arthritic pain in my hands and knees. (Only had it in one big toe up till then). The pain gradually eases during the day as long as I keep my knees and hands moving but if I rest, the pain comes back.
Anyone had a similar experience and if so did they get diagnosis or any form of treatment apart from just pain relief?