Gransnet forums



(18 Posts)
Patsyb71 Fri 13-Mar-20 07:38:25

What are others thinking about wether or not to cancel fourthcoming holidays?
I have a coach holiday booked for beginning of June in this country.
Which is when they reckon the peak will hit for this virus.
I'm not sure what to do.

M0nica Fri 13-Mar-20 07:59:29

I think itis too early to decide. We are booked on a short (4 day) cruise in early May. We are simply leaving things. The cruise company are sending us regular bulletins. I would just wait and see and keep in contact with the company organising the tour.

May7 Fri 13-Mar-20 08:22:11

I would wait for a while and see how it pans out. If they cancel your holiday then you'll get all your money back hopefully. That's what I've decided to do. I got organised in Jan and booked many outings, concerts and holidays etc but think it's best to wait and see what happens.

BlueSapphire Fri 13-Mar-20 09:18:57

I've got a holiday in Italy booked for the end of April; don't think I shall be going.

tanith Fri 13-Mar-20 09:27:05

My GS has already cancelled a holiday in Israel with its 14 day compulsory quarantine there’s no point going. He’ll get full refunds apparently.

MamaCaz Fri 13-Mar-20 09:27:39

I wouldn't go on a coach trip right now. I usually use National express to go visit my mum (minimum of 4 hrs on the coach), but I wouldn't even do that right now, let alone go on a coach holiday.

Happygirl79 Fri 13-Mar-20 09:32:46

A coach trip means very close proximity to others
Right now that's a big risk in a confined space
I wouldn't go

Cabbie21 Fri 13-Mar-20 09:37:39

It will probably be cancelled anyway, so you will get your money back.

Hetty58 Fri 13-Mar-20 09:40:29

I just had to listen to a relative in her 70s, very upset about government advice on cruises. She's thinking of ignoring it.

I tried to sound sympathetic, all the while thinking:

'For Christ's sake, first world 'problem', why aren't you fretting over our terrible shortage of intensive care beds instead?'

anniezzz09 Fri 13-Mar-20 09:46:28

I've got a holiday booked for May, the balance is due now. I think I'm going to cancel as they're talking about a May/June peak and I won't get my money back if I can't go.

My Irish aunt had many strange expressions, one of them was 'man appoints and God disappoints'. How used we have, in general, become to organising our lives as though all will be smooth sailing. Illness in particular is an abrupt shock if you're lucky enough to have got through life being relatively healthy. I shall count my blessings.

JenniferEccles Fri 13-Mar-20 10:42:09

Surely it’s possible to worry about the wider picture of NHS problems and still discuss on here our concerns about forthcoming holidays?

I am sure everyone realises that in the grand scheme of things holidays are of lesser importance, but folk shouldn’t be criticised for comparing notes with others in a similar situation re. holiday plans.

Luckygirl Fri 13-Mar-20 10:45:04

Well - I was just about to book a holiday for May - the first time I have been able to do that for many years, as I have been caring for OH up till now.

Maybe I will be able to do it next year - assuming I survive the coronavirus of course. Life just ain't fair.

JenniferEccles Fri 13-Mar-20 10:46:52

The balance of our cruise later this year is due in a couple of months so we will see what the situation is then.

We have a few ports in Italy on our itinerary including Venice so sadly I suspect the cruise will be cancelled, along with lots of others I guess.

Daddima Fri 13-Mar-20 12:15:50

I bit the bullet and booked my trip to Greece, my first without the Bodach. I’m just going to wait and see what develops.

SalsaQueen Fri 13-Mar-20 12:37:25

I'm going to Edinburgh in 2 week's time, for a few days. I'm also going to Scarborough in May, for a week. We're driving to both.

M0nica Fri 13-Mar-20 16:07:37

I am going to a talk in a local village hall this evening. Probably up to 50 people present.

Yes, it is a risk, but so is driving there, who knows when a fool in a car is going to race round of those rural road corners and slam into me. But currently CV has not reached my corner of the woods and at the moment I am prepared to risk it. (unless of course it is cancelled)

Pantglas2 Fri 13-Mar-20 16:23:53

We’re due to fly to Spain at the end of this month and Ryanair have followed easyJet in announcing free changes to any bookings already made (until 31 March) which means I can leave the decision until the day before we fly.

If flights are cancelled or not recommended by FO then our fares will be refunded anyway so it’s wait-and-see for us.

rosenoir Fri 13-Mar-20 17:04:01

My grandsons school trips to Spain and Miami in May and June have been cancelled.